PDA

View Full Version : New Homebrew & Real ale group

MORGANTHEMOON
25-08-2012, 12:33
I've now created a new Homebrew & Real ale group for all you budding brewers, winemakers, Beer lovers.

Just click this link & join.

Groups - Wild Camping for Motorhomes (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/groups/)

runnach
25-08-2012, 14:56
I fancied joining mate but, being Scottish, I'd drink you dry :cheers:

MORGANTHEMOON
25-08-2012, 15:11

Sounds like an excuse to me!:king:

runnach
25-08-2012, 16:28
Sounds like an excuse to me!:king:

Nope, not an excuse, we're a nation o booze swillers.......according to some :giggle:

MORGANTHEMOON
29-08-2012, 10:13

Well you could always bring extra.

bopper
29-08-2012, 12:01
Memorable Brews.

I have two of these:
The first was when we were camping in a tent many years ago. After roaming around the North Yorkshire Moors we came across a site called Rosedale Abbey. Having arrived late and after setting up the tent, they was buggers to put up in those days, I was all sweaty and had a thirst of a horse. Although my late wife complained that I was scruffy and smelly I insisted we find a pub. We went into the village and what a sight it was. Village green with customary tree in the middle with seat around the base and there on the edge of the green a magnificent country Pub. Fantastic. We entered the pub to the sound of Chuck Berry/Little Richard/Jerry Lee etc; I felt at home. The landlord behind the bar seemed familiar to me, after a few seconds I knew who it was... James Hunt the racing driver, it wasn't of course but he was a dead ringer for him. Looking along the beer engines there were six real ales and I only recognised two of them. What do you recommend landlord, I said to him and he immediately gave me a sample from one of them. I bought a pint and quaffed it down. I'll try one of these I said pointing to a "Theakstones Old peculiar". I sell that in halves he said. I consumed 8 halves of that brew that night and fell into the tent that night in a feeling that I had died and gone to heaven instead of being on the moors.
The other concerns a boat trip. My friend his wife and myself and my late wife had river cruisers and decided one day to take a trip up the "Erewash" canal to the Great Northern Basin, sounds great doesn't it. The Erewash is notorious for junk in the canal and gangs of youths gathered at locks. We set out and covered the entire distance without too much trouble and moored near the Great Northern Basin (a derelict mess of a place) got ready and walked into Langley Mill to the nearest pub (the Railway I think?) anyway, we went into the Lounge Bar and I settled on a brew I had not had before which was absolutely beautiful. There were no other customers in there but us four. In the bar there were quite a few.
Around 9pm a fellow walks in with his guitar and amp and sets up. I had another pint. He began to sing a few songs. I had another pint. I wanted to take a leak and leaving the Gents I walked past this performer and said "Know any fifties stuff" he replied "If you sing 'em I'll play the backing" So I ordered my next pint and I did just that! More songs and more pints later and with a packed lounge bar I felt great as we left the pub heading for our boats. On arrival at our boats we said goodnight to our friends and went to climb aboard. "You got the keys" I said. "No, you've got them" said the missus. I couldn't find the keys and in the commotion our friends came out and helped us look for them. "You must have left them in the pub? came a suggestion. I walked all the way back to the (Closed) pub. After banging on the door an Irate landlord assured me that no keys had been found and I headed back to the boat. On arrival the three of them were laughing at me because, they claimed, they had found the keys on the bank. I still think that this was a wheeze to get me walking off the booze, or staggering it off more like. Next morning I was feeling ill. I never get hangovers but this day I did. We set off back and at the next lock I became over ill if you get the gist, just on hearing my friends wife offering me some buttered toast. I went behind some bushes brought up the necessary and then ate the toast. I was feeling as right as rain after that.
The Brew?...... Speckled Hen.
So there, two brews that always remind me of when I first tried them. Old Peculiar and Speckled Hen. Do you have similar memories?

Tbear
29-08-2012, 12:38
Memorable Brews.

I have two of these:
The first was when we were camping in a tent many years ago. After roaming around the North Yorkshire Moors we came across a site called Rosedale Abbey. Having arrived late and after setting up the tent, they was buggers to put up in those days, I was all sweaty and had a thirst of a horse. Although my late wife complained that I was scruffy and smelly I insisted we find a pub. We went into the village and what a sight it was. Village green with customary tree in the middle with seat around the base and there on the edge of the green a magnificent country Pub. Fantastic. We entered the pub to the sound of Chuck Berry/Little Richard/Jerry Lee etc; I felt at home. The landlord behind the bar seemed familiar to me, after a few seconds I knew who it was... James Hunt the racing driver, it wasn't of course but he was a dead ringer for him. Looking along the beer engines there were six real ales and I only recognised two of them. What do you recommend landlord, I said to him and he immediately gave me a sample from one of them. I bought a pint and quaffed it down. I'll try one of these I said pointing to a "Theakstones Old peculiar". I sell that in halves he said. I consumed 8 halves of that brew that night and fell into the tent that night in a feeling that I had died and gone to heaven instead of being on the moors.
The other concerns a boat trip. My friend his wife and myself and my late wife had river cruisers and decided one day to take a trip up the "Erewash" canal to the Great Northern Basin, sounds great doesn't it. The Erewash is notorious for junk in the canal and gangs of youths gathered at locks. We set out and covered the entire distance without too much trouble and moored near the Great Northern Basin (a derelict mess of a place) got ready and walked into Langley Mill to the nearest pub (the Railway I think?) anyway, we went into the Lounge Bar and I settled on a brew I had not had before which was absolutely beautiful. There were no other customers in there but us four. In the bar there were quite a few.
Around 9pm a fellow walks in with his guitar and amp and sets up. I had another pint. He began to sing a few songs. I had another pint. I wanted to take a leak and leaving the Gents I walked past this performer and said "Know any fifties stuff" he replied "If you sing 'em I'll play the backing" So I ordered my next pint and I did just that! More songs and more pints later and with a packed lounge bar I felt great as we left the pub heading for our boats. On arrival at our boats we said goodnight to our friends and went to climb aboard. "You got the keys" I said. "No, you've got them" said the missus. I couldn't find the keys and in the commotion our friends came out and helped us look for them. "You must have left them in the pub? came a suggestion. I walked all the way back to the (Closed) pub. After banging on the door an Irate landlord assured me that no keys had been found and I headed back to the boat. On arrival the three of them were laughing at me because, they claimed, they had found the keys on the bank. I still think that this was a wheeze to get me walking off the booze, or staggering it off more like. Next morning I was feeling ill. I never get hangovers but this day I did. We set off back and at the next lock I became over ill if you get the gist, just on hearing my friends wife offering me some buttered toast. I went behind some bushes brought up the necessary and then ate the toast. I was feeling as right as rain after that.
The Brew?...... Speckled Hen.
So there, two brews that always remind me of when I first tried them. Old Peculiar and Speckled Hen. Do you have similar memories?

I remember being in N. Yorkshire as a young soldier. Not been there long when a few of us found a local which we thought we would have a quick pint in before finding a club (no chance of that we found later). On entering we noticed the couple of locals drinking some evil black brew with almost no head. "Would you like to try a half" say the barman. Well as those of you that have been young soldiers will know, there is only one possible answer to that. Nah we'll have a pint each. He turned around and poured it from a large wooden barrel behind him. To cut a very long storey short - after numerous games of bar billiards and shuv-apeny etc with the locals. The landlord called time and we staggered off back to camp. A few days later I called back in there, this time just for a quick one. One of the locals recognised me and asked if we where all ok. I said that we where all fine and asked why he looked concerned. "Nobody ever drank nine pints of that Old Peculiar in ere before". Something we where all very proud of but never repeated.

I cannot remember the name of the pub but some years later I called back in drooling at the thought of Pint of OP as it was called. How it had changed. The "locals" now wore pink stripey shirts with white collars and drank pink gins and things with umbrellas in. The barrels had gone from the now glass topped bar. I nearly cried into my pint and never went back.

Richard

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS