PDA

View Full Version : Mallaig

jambogogs
25-08-2012, 20:10
Anybody know of a nice parking spot in or around Mallaig? I am planning on catching the 1st ferry of the day and don't fancy getting out of bed too early.

Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.

iceman1956
25-08-2012, 20:18
We parked up in east bay last year, The local police advised us to park up there as there are plenty of spaces, and is out of the way.

Isnbill
25-08-2012, 21:38
Earlier this year we parked up for the night in the car park on the left as you enter the town from Fort William. Nice and quiet, plenty of room and great view out to the sea.

kimbowbill
26-08-2012, 01:51
on the little road to Arasig, you can park right on the beach, its at side of the road but there's hardly any traffic, its beautiful

dydigital
14-09-2012, 20:54
Used the car park on the left as you enter mallaig, no hassle and we share it carpark with another camper, arisaig is now a no go, all the car park has signs advising no overnight parking, all stating there are 6 campsites within a few miles. I did see a parking area off the new road with a old caravan in it, far enough away for there to be little road noise and it looked a sheltered spot.

shortcircuit
14-09-2012, 21:11
"no overnight parking, all stating there are 6 campsites within a few miles." that's interesting as on another thread the NOP signs are to be removed. Did these signs have anything on them to suggest they are official or could the camp-sites be trying to generate business?

Parents took me to Arisaig about 60years ago and we had no problem parking. Was up there last year and the place now looks dreadful, in comparison, with a lots of statics, but then thats progress????

Ste
14-09-2012, 21:18
If your going for the ferry, I'd just O/N at the terminal. I've never had a problem there. Same applies at Armadale.

MORGANTHEMOON
14-09-2012, 22:54
Welcome to the site.

dydigital
17-09-2012, 08:04
The car park near morar with the w/c had no overnight parking signs and also a a4 notice on the post advise that no overnight parking or camping is permit And Mentioning a bylaw, also stating 6 campsite in area, just south on the costal road there is another site on a corner by a bay that had a similar site. And one in the bay that was for golf club members only. Hope this helps.

johnmac185
26-02-2013, 19:39
Used the car park on the left as you enter mallaig, no hassle and we share it carpark with another camper, arisaig is now a no go, all the car park has signs advising no overnight parking, all stating there are 6 campsites within a few miles. I did see a parking area off the new road with a old caravan in it, far enough away for there to be little road noise and it looked a sheltered spot.

Hi
anybody know if the above Mallaig carpark is ok for overnighting, or any others in Mallaig, don't see any on POI's,
going up in the next 2/3 days,,,John

johnmac185
28-02-2013, 10:57

Hi
anybody know if the above Mallaig carpark is ok for overnighting, or any others in Mallaig, don't see any on POI's,
going up in the next 2/3 days,,,John

Henrym
20-05-2013, 01:08
On the way to Mallaig (A830)...
Update on Callop Forest site: POI is for widening 20 m from the road. Better is to continue down track, over river and turn sharp right into parking area, parking for 5 cars overlooking river. 56.857929 -5.406769

kennya
20-05-2013, 06:52
We have stayed in the car park on entering Mallaig, no issues and a water tap down behind the buildings. We also spent a night in the top school car park, just go into Mallaig turn right and right again, up past hotel and the entrance on right hand side, excellent views. Easy walk down to village and pub.

POI Admin
20-05-2013, 11:59
On the way to Mallaig (A830)...
Update on Callop Forest site: POI is for widening 20 m from the road. Better is to continue down track, over river and turn sharp right into parking area, parking for 5 cars overlooking river. 56.857929 -5.406769

Thanks - I've updated the POI ...

beautycfw
14-08-2014, 15:35
We stayed at the Morar parking spot last August, and weren't approached or told to move on. There were 3 other camper vans coming in & out the day and a half we were there. One foreign group from Italy who were absolutely lovely and even gave us tips! We did ignore the overnight camping sign, which isn't a good idea, but as we lost our wheel nuts and had a bit of an issue due to the road out to Mallaig (more trouble than it's worth!!), we thought we deserved a nice place to stay ;) A short walk down to the beach, fantastic. Toilets opposite (with no lights so take a torch in the evenings). The beach was white & very picturesque. We'd go again this summer, but the road just isn't worth it especially in a large vehicle. We thought we'd lose an actual tyre a few times from the foot deep potholes and horrible bends.

shortcircuit
14-08-2014, 15:42
We stayed at the Morar parking spot last August, and weren't approached or told to move on. There were 3 other camper vans coming in & out the day and a half we were there. One foreign group from Italy who were absolutely lovely and even gave us tips! We did ignore the overnight camping sign, which isn't a good idea, but as we lost our wheel nuts and had a bit of an issue due to the road out to Mallaig (more trouble than it's worth!!), we thought we deserved a nice place to stay ;) A short walk down to the beach, fantastic. Toilets opposite (with no lights so take a torch in the evenings). The beach was white & very picturesque. We'd go again this summer, but the road just isn't worth it especially in a large vehicle. We thought we'd lose an actual tyre a few times from the foot deep potholes and horrible bends.

My parents took me up to Arisaig with a tent and trailer. At that time the road was single track, so just get on with it. Buses manage, so road is no problem. A really beautiful part of the UK and well worth it.:D

Ex Greeny
05-09-2014, 19:03
We've just had a month touring the west side of Scotland, spent two nights at the Morar CU there were no NOP signs. The ground was quite rough with water filled pot holes, toilet block o/k with water tap, short walk down to the beautiful white sandy beach. This place is definitely worth a stop over. Prior to this stop, we called in at Arisaig, a few miles south, to top up with water at the Marina, did the right thing and asked permission from the Harbour Master, but was flatly refused permission with no explanation why!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS