PDA

View Full Version : 50cc Scooter & Passenger Laws

jeffmossy
27-08-2012, 19:29
We was looking at a 50cc scooter for a runaround and was told by the supplier that I can carry a passenger without having to take a motorcycle test because I passed my driving test b4 a certain date.Does anyone know if this is correct as thought you had to take a test to carry a pavilion?:confused:

jeffmossy
27-08-2012, 19:35
Yes you can carry a passenger

Thanks for the quick reply basildog.Thats great as I never knew this was the case, looks like we will be looking for a scooter carrier now...

vwalan
27-08-2012, 19:40
these days most 50cc m,bikes are really mopeds . they dont have pedals but are restricted to 31mph. a full car licence p[re feb 2001 allows you to ride one nd carry passengers.since then cardrivers will need a cbt course.
go for a bigger cc and yes cbt and tests required.

oldpolicehouse
27-08-2012, 19:44
Hello

Have you passed your test on a motorcycle?

Blue Skies

jeffmossy
27-08-2012, 19:51
Hello

Have you passed your test on a motorcycle?

Blue Skies

No.....But if you read the previous 2 post and also the shop selling the bike I dont need to pass a test........:D

Geraldine
27-08-2012, 19:53
I am not sure about this,have you passed a motor cycle test ? I use to ride a 100cc motorbike in the 1980,s aged 18 and only until I passed my motorbike test could I carry someone on the back.Now I am allowed to ride any cc bike that I wish.You on 50cc L plates dont think so ? You can always check with your local Police station,Insurance co! If the law is different on your case good for you. Cheeers David

Deleted user 21925
27-08-2012, 20:03
If you passed your test before 2001 and hold a full driving license for a car, you can ride a 50cc without L plates and carry a passenger. Any bigger CC you will need CBT.

vwalan
27-08-2012, 20:03
upto 50cc and restricted is a moped no l plates required .
a car driver pre 2001 as a full moped licence. if passed car test after then you would require a cbt course.

jeffmossy
27-08-2012, 20:32
Found this on the net .................................................. ........
Essentials of the Provisional Licence
When it comes to motorcycling, there are two types of provisional licences:
The Provisional Moped Licence (also called a Provisional Category P entitlement)
The Provisional Motorcycle Licence (also called a Provisional Category A entitlement)
You can apply for your provisional licence by submitting a driving licence application form (Form D1) together with a fee, a photograph and identification to the DVLA. See How to Apply below for more details. You should receive your provisional licence within three weeks of the DVLA receiving your application.

When you receive your provisional moped or motorcycle licence, you can only start riding on the road after you have completed your compulsory basic training (CBT). Upon completing your CBT you will be issued with a DL196 certificate which is valid for two years and validates your provisional licence. You must keep the DL196 certificate together with your provisional licence to make it legal for you to ride on the road.

In most cases, people with provisional moped or motorcycle entitlements issued as part of their full car driving licenses must also do a CBT before being allowed to ride a motorbike on the road.

[back to top]

Provisional Moped Licence
You must be at least 16 years old to apply for a provisional moped licence. Your provisional moped licence expires on your 70th birthday.

Your provisional moped licence allows you to ride a moped, which is any motorcycle with:

An engine capacity of no more than 50cc (33 bhp)
A maximum speed of 31mph (50kph)
A maximum weight of 250kg
Your provisional moped licenece has the following restrictions:

You must ride with L plates (D plates in Wales) at all times
You may not carry a pillion passenger
Note that motorcycles classed as mopeds are not allowed on motorways, no matter what licence you hold
If your full car driving licence was issued from 1 Feb 2001 onwards, then your driving licence was issued with a full Category P Entitlement. Hence you do not need to apply for a provisional moped licence. You do however still have to do your CBT to validate the Category P entitlement and be allowed to ride a moped on the road.

If your full car driving licence was issued before 1 Feb 2001 then you have a full Category P Entitlement (full moped licence). Accordingly, you can ride a moped without restrictions and without having to do a CBT. I recommend that you still complete the CBT for your own safety!

If you got your provisional moped licence and did your CBT while you were 16, and your provisional licence has provisional Category A on it, then you can immediately start riding a light motorcycle (bike up to 125 cc) when you turn 17. If your provisional moped licence does not have Category A on it, you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence from the DVLA before you can start riding anything bigger than a moped. In either case, you do not have to redo your CBT when you turn 17!

Note
A 50cc bike that has a maximum speed notably greater than 31 mph (50 kph) is not classed as a moped and cannot be ridden with a provisional moped licence. 50cc bikes are however generally restricted to a max speed of 19 mph to 31 mph (30 kph to 50 kph)
A moped can have manual or automatic transmission. Automatic mopeds are often called scooters
[back to top]

Provisional Motorcycle Licence
You can apply for a provisional motorcycle licence when you are 17 or older. A provisional motorcycle licence is valid until the holder's 70th birthday.

Your provisional motorcycle licence allows you to ride a light motorcycle (also called a training motorcycle). This is any motorcycle with:

An engine capacity of no more than 125cc
A maximum power output of 11kW or 14.6 bhp
Your provisional motorcycle licence has the following restrictions:

You must ride with L plates (D plates in Wales) at all times
You may not carry a pillion passenger
You may not ride on motorways
Learner riders over 21 years old can ride larger bikes when supervised by a Direct Access instructor.
If you have a full moped licence, then you automatically have a provisional motorcycle licence from the age of 17 onwards. If you gained your full moped licence prior to 1 Dec 1990, then you must do your CBT again to validate the provisional motorcycle licence and be allowed to ride a light motorcycle as a learner. If your full moped licence was issued from 1 Dec 1990 onwards, then you can ride a light motorcycle as a learner provided that you are at least 17 years old.

If you hold a full car driving licence check whether it was issued with a provisional Category A entitlement. If so, you do not need to apply for a provisional motorcycle licence. You can now do your CBT to validate your provisional motorcycle licence and then start riding a light motorcycle with the usual learner restrictions in place (listed above). A full car driving licence issued before 1 Feb 2001 should have a provisional category A entitlement.

If you have a full car driving licence without a provisional Category A entitlement, then you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence before you can do your CBT and get on the road on a light motorcycle.

Tip
When you apply for your provisional car licence, be sure to tick the motorcycle entitlement box as well. This will save you having to reapply for your provisional motorcycle licence if you want to start riding a light motorcycle before getting your full car licence.

oldpolicehouse
27-08-2012, 20:33
Well you learn something new every day.

I've been riding motorcycles nearly 50 years. Funny enough I'm picking a new one up tomorrow.
Moving down to a 600cc, finding the big bikes a little heavy these days.
Don't know much about 50cc scooters but I would not take the word of the salesman when it comes to carrying pillion passengers etc.
I would be asking a police traffic officer.

Blue Skies

Yorkshirepudding
27-08-2012, 20:42
If you haven't ridden a motorcycle before my advice would be "Don't carry a passenger". Get some experience in and take your motorcycle test. Two adults on a restricted 50cc is a recipe for disaster if the driver is inexperienced.

vwalan
27-08-2012, 20:44
mopeds have always in the past been covered by car licences . there was confusion in the early 70,s when 16yr olds got the first moped only licences . some mopeds then like the fantic were real speedy machines . then they brought the no pedal laws and engine restrictions . these days i believe all 50,s are to the restricted spec.
just as well do you remember the 50cc itom could top a 100mph . not a first machine for anyone .ha ha .

Deleted user 21925
27-08-2012, 20:47
mopeds have always in the past been covered by car licences . there was confusion in the early 70,s when 16yr olds got the first moped only licences . some mopeds then like the fantic were real speady machines . then they brought the no pedal laws and engine restrictions . these days i believe all 50,s are to the restricted spec.
just as well do you remember the 50cc itom could top a 100mph . not a first machine for anyone .ha ha .

I was an FS1E boy myself, in those days you could move up to a 250 when you were 17. I went for a Kawasaki KH250 triple on my 17th birthday, was lucky to reach my 18th!

n brown
27-08-2012, 20:48
i love the vagaries of our driving laws!when i was a lad you couldn't have a passenger on any bike,if you hadn't passed the bike test, unless they had a full licence,BUT you could,never having got on a bike in your life,get a 650cc motorbike,stick a sidecar on it,shove your girl on the back and drive at 90 mph down the road.its nice to know that now, i can legally be run over by 2 adults,neither of whom have ever been on a bike before!

jeffmossy
27-08-2012, 20:50
If you haven't ridden a motorcycle before my advice would be "Don't carry a passenger". Get some experience in and take your motorcycle test. Two adults on a restricted 50cc is a recipe for disaster if the driver is inexperienced.

I have rode motorcross bikes all my life also rode motorcycles on the road in my young days so I like to think I can handle a 50cc scooter

vwalan
27-08-2012, 20:57
hi .its not now though its always been like it.
many trike riders have never ridden a bike either . lots of trike drivers have never driven a car.
all use different rules to do what you can legally .
a trike over 450kg can be a car.
you dont want to hear about the learners on trikes that gets your head inside out with weight regs . and licence issue dates .
think there should be a degree course in driving licences .

scampa
28-08-2012, 02:05
Hmmm.... I've had a Full car licence since before 2001, so that enables me to ride a moped and carry a pillion passenger.

But I've also had a Full motorbike licence since before 2001, so does that mean I can ride a moped and carry TWO pillion passengers on it?? :):scooter: :)

Wooie1958
28-08-2012, 08:01
I was an FS1E boy myself, in those days you could move up to a 250 when you were 17. I went for a Kawasaki KH250 triple on my 17th birthday, was lucky to reach my 18th!

I went down the Suzuki route,... AP50......X7......then the almighty Kettle.

How i wish i still had the last one now.

Regards.

Deleted user 21925
28-08-2012, 08:05
I went down the Suzuki route,... AP50......X7......then the almighty Kettle.

How i wish i still had the last one now.

Regards.

Loved the Kettle, a proper meaty bike and water cooled! that was my dream, either that or a z1.
Luckily I passed my car test, much to my parents relief!

MikeH
28-08-2012, 09:44
According to this: Motorcycling and the law (http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/law.htm) the answer is no.

To summarise:

To ride a motorcycle on the road you must

* Have a driving licence which allows you to ride motorcycles (category A)

That licence can be any of the following

* Full car licence. This automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement

With provisional motorcycle entitlement you must not

* Carry a pillion passenger

I`d also agree with the previous advice of, if you havent ridden a motorbike/scooter before, I wouldnt take a passenger. The smaller the bike, the trickier it is. I speak from lots of years of biking (passed my bike test at 17 and today is my 49th birthday).

vwalan
28-08-2012, 11:02
a car licence gives full entitlement for mopeds pre 2001.
mopeds arent class a ..
they are class p..
unfortunately they get mixed up with m,cycles but they are a class on its own . best look at your licence.if it says you can drive class p your on.

BambiOwner
28-08-2012, 12:19
Yes you can carry a passenger

yes it is all true and I can say it with confidence because a few years ago I again went to the police station and got them to help me with my enquirers and I can state the Sargent Blackman of the Wiltshire traffic Police told me exactly what has already been confirmed by others so go ahead and buy a scooter and a scooter rack and have some fun with it, if you are at all worried why not write to the Chief Construable and when he writes back you will have your proof in writing. mind you send an sae or they might not reply what with the cut backs and all ,
Regards
Bambiowner

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS