PDA

View Full Version : European style MOT tests

toxicturtle
28-08-2012, 05:01
Some very scary news for self builders and modifiers
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/doc/roadworthiness-package/com%282012%29380.pdf

jennyp19
28-08-2012, 09:28
Am I the only thickie who can't understand all the gobbledy gook speak. Can someone precis exactly what 1, it means, & 2, what is the scary stuff - basically the jist of it all:bow::anyone:

Funky Farmer
28-08-2012, 09:40
I haven't read it all but aren't they talking about introducing an MOT sort of a thing, Europe wide?

mumumum4
28-08-2012, 09:55
I haven't read it all but aren't they talking about introducing an MOT sort of a thing, Europe wide?

That's what I get from it, though I can't be bothered to close read it. Seems to say that the authorities can check your vehicle on their databases wherever you are in Europe. I think it will cause more problems with caravanners, as it seems to say that trailers of any kind should have a test too.

Alison

mumumum4
28-08-2012, 10:12
I can't spot the scary bits, after having read it all. It seems to say vehicles will need less testing than they do now, unless they have a very high mileage or are old. All trailers will need a test though. There is a suggestion that there will be a 4 month window in which you can submit the vehicle for its test.

Alison

jennyp19
28-08-2012, 10:48
Thanks folks - I look through documents like this and they all become a blur!!!

sasquatch
28-08-2012, 14:14
The scary bits are the title page it says that the Eui bureaucrats are interfering again,it would be interesting to see how the mambers of the Union who are notorius (France,Spain,Italy and Greece) for ignoring these directives.

baloothebear
28-08-2012, 14:45
I don't know quite how the trailer testing would be enforced but it is well overdue.

John Thompson
28-08-2012, 17:35
The other thing I read was that all vehicles submitted for testing must comply with the original manufacturers certificate of compliance. Any additions after manufacture would need a new certificate of conformity not just an MOT. Another person suggested that if non original manufacturer wheels, Engine chipping, Awning, Satelite dish, Solar Panels, bike rack etc. were fitted the vehicle would need to be submitted for a new conformity examination and the additions noted on the log book as happens in Spain now.

It does state that historic vehicles must be as manufactured and not have later modifications. The good news on this is that any vehicle over 30 years old would qualify as historic and not need an MOT. This also has road excise duty implications.

If this comes in we should be able to MOT in any country in the EU. The MOT periods will also be standardised across Europe. 4 years before 1st MOT and every two years after that.

John

Blackwatch
28-08-2012, 17:54
This has been cropping up again and again though and its scaremongering...

there is no law to say that caravans need testing and is directed at commercial trailers,

Europe tried to bring in a 4/2/2 system of MOT's and failed.

The UK has the best safety record re road safety .

even if the did decide to bring in an MOT for caravans then it would take years as it would need to go before parliament ........

toxicturtle
28-08-2012, 18:06
Armageddon | www.the-ace.org.uk (http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/)
Had heard originally it was targeting bikes but maybe that was the thin end of the wedge

mandrake
28-08-2012, 18:31
The other thing I read was that all vehicles submitted for testing must comply with the original manufacturers certificate of compliance. Any additions after manufacture would need a new certificate of conformity not just an MOT. Another person suggested that if non original manufacturer wheels, Engine chipping, Awning, Satelite dish, Solar Panels, bike rack etc. were fitted the vehicle would need to be submitted for a new conformity examination and the additions noted on the log book as happens in Spain now.

It does state that historic vehicles must be as manufactured and not have later modifications. The good news on this is that any vehicle over 30 years old would qualify as historic and not need an MOT. This also has road excise duty implications.

If this comes in we should be able to MOT in any country in the EU. The MOT periods will also be standardised across Europe. 4 years before 1st MOT and every two years after that.

John i have heared somthing along the lines of ,if any vehicle that has been modified in any way that it wont be able to be tested .how will they be able to make this work as the majority of vehicles have been modified from original to some extent .mine has a towbar fitted ,many vans have been converted to campers by there owners ,and many have non standard wheels ,you only have to look at most hot hatches the kids run round in .if this comes in it seems it will render the majority of vehicles non mot compliant so making them scrap

vwalan
28-08-2012, 19:04
dont worry about it .there are customized vehicles all over europe . they still build them . you just get the alteration put on the log book . its not a problem .
there are all sorts of white papers out there going around . i have several of them here . there was talk about doing away with the mot exemptions but hasnt happened yet. there isnt enough mot stations to cope with all the exemptions never mind new rules for trailers and vehicles . there,s over 30,000vehicle already exempt estimated . authority cant cope as it is .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS