PDA

View Full Version : Ferry v Chunnel

Dezi
28-08-2012, 08:03
Hi, I am in the process of booking our channel crossing for around 5 Oct, return 15 Nov.

Panel van 6.0 mts long 2.5 high 2 travellers.

So far the return prices are. DFDS 88 ( Dover - Dunkerque) - P&O 88 ( Dover - Calais) Eurotunnel 202.40

Seems a big price difference between ship & train.

Dezi :pc:

maingate
28-08-2012, 08:07
They all seem to know that you are a troublemaker Dexy, that is why they hike their prices when they recognise your name.

It's 15 quid for everyone else. :dance:

Dezi
28-08-2012, 08:11
They all seem to know that you are a troublemaker Dexy, that is why they hike their prices when they recognise your name.

It's 15 quid for everyone else. :dance:

Watch the lip Pal !!!

We will be on our way to visit the Mafia side of the family. One word from me & the Gateshead branch will be visiting you.

Dezi :cool:

ellisboy
28-08-2012, 08:12
It's because you live in Bournemouth! They think your loaded :lol-049:

Beemer
28-08-2012, 09:31
Tesco club points make the chunnel affordable...:bow:

johnmac185
28-08-2012, 09:41
Tesco club points make the chunnel affordable...:bow:

Dezi
if your in the CC you can get it for 58 return on selected times of the
day,,,,,john

johnmac185
28-08-2012, 09:46
Dezi
if your in the CC you can get it for 58 return on selected times of the
day,,,,,john

Sorry Dezi
meant to say DFDS to Calais or Dunkerke for 58 Return, i have the same dims as you and
have booked both ways
John

snowbirds
28-08-2012, 10:05
Hi Dezi,

I have been looking at prices for Dover Calais crossings for a late August/September,my van is 6.72 long by 2.85 high.
I have tried the P&O and DFDS on line booking to find the cheapest day and time to cross and the sites give you a option to click back and forward on the link to compare price's and I was getting quite a range of price's depending on when and what day of the week you travel.Of course if you avoid weekends it gets cheaper.The best I could get on line on a Tuesday/ Wednesday was between 55 to 88.So with this in mind I tried Camping & Caravan Club as I have used them for the last three years.I got a price for the 4th September for 39.53 one way that I booked, and will do as I did last year and ring them for a return booking a couple of day's before my return crossing as I don't have a set return date.I am not trying to to sell CC&C or any other club to you but as I travel more being retired even with the membership cost I save money with them.This Blog may wake up the (I never go near camp site resistance,not over my dead body,"what all the vans in a line", and Flushing toilet!!!).NEVER!!.

Carry on Camping :mad1::mad1::lol-053::lol-053::scared:

Snowbirds.

Hi, I am in the process of booking our channel crossing for around 5 Oct, return 15 Nov.

Panel van 6.0 mts long 2.5 high 2 travellers.

So far the return prices are. DFDS 88 ( Dover - Dunkerque) - P&O 88 ( Dover - Calais) Eurotunnel 202.40

Seems a big price difference between ship & train.

Kontiki
28-08-2012, 10:35
Just tried Eurotunnel with the dates you gave & it shows outward cheapest 75 & return 68 = 143

The tunnel does get more expensive the later that you book, if you can book in advance you can get the cheapest fare. Tunnel makes sense to us as we can use Teco vouchers so it works out as 47.66 so 45 in vouchers then pay the extra cash (I have found when I have rung at times I manage to get it without paying any extra cash if you get a sympathetic operator) The tunnel gets to be better value if you have a larger van as they would charge the same for my 7 metre van as your smaller one.

Dezi
28-08-2012, 12:44
Thanks for the replies.

I am quite happy with the 88 return fare for Dover Calais, its about the average that I have paid over the past 4 / 5 years.

I am simply surprise at the costs differance between ship & train.

maingate
28-08-2012, 13:06
No problem mate.

You know where I am if you need anything. :lol-061:

Happy sailing. :boat: :boat:

mark61
28-08-2012, 14:40
I've noticed sometimes the train is cheaper if you select van rather then MH, but ferry is always considerably cheaper when MH is selected.

rolandrat
28-08-2012, 15:37
Train every time, 35 minutes and your on your way.

shortcircuit
28-08-2012, 15:40
Used the tunnel for the first time this year and very impressed. However, I have all the time in the world and had it not been for tesco vouchers would not have used as far too expensive. I also enjoy the mini cruise

m30
28-08-2012, 16:11
We've used both in the past and both earlier this year.

We encountered delays on both, bad look I know, the first was a 3 hour delay on the Tunnel. This was after we had boarded and the train had entered the tunnel, if we had known prior we could have got the bed down and grabbed some shut eye. We were asked to fill in a form and we were lucky enough to get an apology via e-mail !! This vs a cancelled crossing on DFDS on our return trip due to a problem with the ferry. This meant we had to wait 3 hours for the next available ferry but we recieved a free meal voucher each up to 9.
This wasnt the first time we'd been delayed whilst using the tunnel, last time we were sat on the train in the tunnel for 2 hours

The prices for these crossings were 300 for the tunnel v 160 for the ferry. I know which we'll be using in the future

Stu

Le Foot
28-08-2012, 19:12
We use the tunnel with Tesco vouchers, so very cheap, also no worries about the sea conditions for our winter crossings, 35 minutes from Folkestone to Calais, only 25 minutes of that actually under ground/ sea. I take a flask of hot water with us, and once on the move, make us a coffee in the van, by the time we have drunk it, and put away the cups, we are there. Did the ferry crossings for 20+ years, and I was one of those that objected to the tunnel being built in the first place, but hey!!!! It is great...give it a try!!
Jackie

John H
29-08-2012, 10:41
It all depends where you are starting from and where you are headed! On Sunday we will be starting our usual winter sun-seeking adventure from Derbyshire and aiming , firstly, for the Auvergne, so the 38 deal on the Dover - Dunkirque crossing suits us well and is probably the shortest way of doing it anyway. On the other hand, if we were headed your way I agree that the longer ferry is a real option. I wouldn't use the tunnel though - simply because of expense (we don't use Tesco, being happier to get cheaper prices at Lidl or Aldi - I suspect that if you add up the differences, those "cheap" tunnel deals cost you an awful lot!).

Le Foot
29-08-2012, 11:51
No John, I do my sums and only buy from Tesco what is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else. I also use Aldi & Lidl..and Asda as well. Shopping like this takes time, but the savings make it worth while.

John H
29-08-2012, 14:02
No John, I do my sums and only buy from Tesco what is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else. I also use Aldi & Lidl..and Asda as well. Shopping like this takes time, but the savings make it worth while.

Ok - but I suspect that people who like shopping are in a minority and most of us can't be bothered to spend that much time on it. I would be interested to know, however, what items are cheaper in Tescos than in Lidl - you could save me time AND money! ;)

Le Foot
29-08-2012, 14:22
very little, but like Aldi, Lidl do not stock everything I want to buy, so I have to get these things from elsewhere.

Dezi
29-08-2012, 14:39
Hi, I did mention a year or two back that living close to Poole & not to far from Pompey that it is still far cheaper for me to go Dover - Calais.

Trip this time is down to Piacenza via Saarlouis & lake Konstanz. Birthday party, Then Piacenza to Loire vally via (where ever we feel like)

Dezi
29-08-2012, 15:44
I have no need to do anything on the cheap, so do not do it. Dover is simply far cheaper for me this trip + more convenient.

I am not sure however what extra guality & luxury I would get by using a ferry out of Pompey as opposed to a ferry out of Dover.

Dezi
29-08-2012, 15:55
Many times.

Dezi

mark61
29-08-2012, 15:55
Well for comfort you can't beat the train, kettle on just before boarding, have a brew then a nice nap on the train. Wake up ready to hammer out France as quickly as possible. :lol-053::lol-053:

Piglets Pilot
29-08-2012, 16:02
Hi, We have similar problem as we live on the isle of wight. I still cant work out wether its better to go from portsmouth or poole when travelling to west of france ,I know cost is somewhat dearer but the time saved ie. a day each way to dover/dunkirk then a day or two each way on the way west when in france also cost of diesel. What cost ? can you put on those extra days that you could have had on the holiday! Terry

John H
29-08-2012, 16:28
very little, but like Aldi, Lidl do not stock everything I want to buy, so I have to get these things from elsewhere.

Each to their own, of course, but I find that there is very little in the way of general groceries that I need that Lidl doesn't supply, so I return to my original point that it would not be cost-effective for me to use Tesco vouchers. Thus the tunnel is not an option for me.

And, as for the other points that have been made:
1. choosing luxury over cheapness - it seems to me that, having travelled on virtually every conceivable ferry route out of this country, one ferry is very much like another - especially if you are only on it for a couple of hours!
2. not wanting to waste time travelling - yes, of course, if you are on a limited holiday but there are many of us who are retired and so time is not an issue. Some of us even regard the travelling as part of the adventure, discovering new places along the way.

In other words, the best option is very much a perssonal issue, depending on your wants and needs.

David & Ann
29-08-2012, 16:40
Just tried Eurotunnel with the dates you gave & it shows outward cheapest 75 & return 68 = 143

The tunnel does get more expensive the later that you book, if you can book in advance you can get the cheapest fare. Tunnel makes sense to us as we can use Teco vouchers so it works out as 47.66 so 45 in vouchers then pay the extra cash (I have found when I have rung at times I manage to get it without paying any extra cash if you get a sympathetic operator) The tunnel gets to be better value if you have a larger van as they would charge the same for my 7 metre van as your smaller one.

Hi "K" How much cash must you spend in shopping at Tesco's to get 45 in vouchers? I think the ferry is the cheapest of options.

shortcircuit
29-08-2012, 17:54
Hi "K" How much cash must you spend in shopping at Tesco's to get 45 in vouchers? I think the ferry is the cheapest of options.
You are correct as the ferry is the cheapest, however you can reduce the tunnel fare by using Tesco vouchers and then it can be virtually free by the tunnel. Unfortunately I do not have a local Tesco but when I have used them, found them as competitive as others so how much you spend to get the vouchers is irrelevant.

Le Foot
29-08-2012, 18:05
Whoops John....I didn't make those points you've numbered ...not me ..nope!!

sak
30-08-2012, 06:41
The DFDS ferry from North Shields must be the most expensive way to get to europe but they have got you by the short & curlies because the ferry company knows that it's a 300 mile drive to the south coast ferries and with diesel and the time wasted traveling they price the ferry accordingly, i doubt the Dutch flower trucks that use the same ferry pay anywhere near what they charge us campers. Moan over, off to Germany next Friday.

John H
30-08-2012, 07:21
Whoops John....I didn't make those points you've numbered ...not me ..nope!!

Sorry if I gave that impression. When I referred to "the other points that have been made" I should have added "by other people" to make it clearer.

John H
30-08-2012, 07:32
....and others, to be fair! ;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS