PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Inverter (300W)

Deleted user 21925
02-09-2012, 11:27
This seems extremely cheap - anyone had any experience of it?

300W USB Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 230V with Cables for Car/Van/Caravan | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300W-USB-Car-Power-Inverter-DC-12V-to-AC-230V-with-Cables-for-Car-Van-Caravan-/230812953609?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35bd862c09)

maingate
02-09-2012, 12:01
Hi Rob,

I think it is significant that there are no technical details given with the inverter.

My thoughts are that it is cheap and nasty and personally, I would not have one.

Deleted user 21925
02-09-2012, 12:35
I think you're probably right!

PS Jim, is there a thread at all showing your Solar panel setup?

Wooie1958
02-09-2012, 12:54
Hi Rob,

i had exactly the same one ( different supplier ) from Ebay.

I think they use a generic picture then put their own logo on it.

The main reason was to power the laptop and printer whist we are away.

Only used it twice ( laptop and printer 110W together ) the fan was going

full speed and making a hell of a noise. On the second use it went POP !!!

I got my money back and the return postage, once they had checked it out.

Then decided to " spend a bit more " and i got a :- Sterling ProPower Q 350W.

56 all in delivered from Amazon.

They are like Chalk and Cheese and it has been perfect. It`s hard wired to the

batteries and the fan had only been on once when i plugged EVERYTHING in

and even then it was fairly quiet.

Basically the moral of the story is " You get what you pay for "

Hope this helps

Regards.

Graham

maingate
02-09-2012, 12:54
No there is nothing about my panel setup.

Basically, I first bought a Rutland 504 Wind Turbine (80W) and bought the recommended 7.5 amp regulator with it.

I fitted the regulator near the batteries in the underfloor area and connected directly from the regulator to the battery. The instructions with the regulator said that up to a 100 watt solar panel could also be fitted in parallel with the turbine*. So, I made up a junction box with 2 sockets fitted. The solar panel is permanently plugged in and the wind turbine can be plugged in as well.

In the garage, I made up a frame so that I can slide the panel in and out of one of the small rear doors. The frame also acts as a flat surface to store various items on.

* If you do the maths, a possible 180 watts going through a 7.5 amp regulator does not compute. The turbine is NOT 80 watts in my view, nearer 50 watts max. I believe that the wattage figure is worked out using the voltage BEFORE the regulator cuts it down and it is a bit of a con.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS