PDA

View Full Version : Lligwy Beach

nptclart
02-09-2012, 16:18
Lligwy Beach, Anglesey...lovely spot on the beach.

Canalsman
02-09-2012, 16:58
There may well be an overnight charge to stay in the car park nearest the cafe.

caspar
24-10-2012, 23:54
The owners have now started driving out from their house purely to collect the 10 overnight charge. I feel that however lovely the spot is, it has no facilities and simply isn't worth it when there are so many other good spots nearby.

I have stopped staying there entirely, though I still visit and give the old beasty a good run and a swim.

Wooie1958
25-10-2012, 06:24
The owners have now started driving out from their house purely to collect the 10 overnight charge. I feel that however lovely the spot is, it has no facilities and simply isn't worth it when there are so many other good spots nearby.

I have stopped staying there entirely, though I still visit and give the old beasty a good run and a swim.

You`ve got to look at this from the owners point of view.

They have a nice little spot, on the beach with a little cafe and some very nice views.

They don`t mind people " Overnighting " and make a charge to stay there.

I " Think but not 100% " it was cheaper when they first started charging.

Then word gets around on forums etc. that if you................

" Leave it till say 6 or 7PM the owners have gone and make sure you have left
by say 8AM the following morning the owners haven`t arrived and it won`t cost
anything "

One thing is for sure, word " WILL " get back to them, and that is probably why
they come down later to collect the money.

I think is the same old story of..........................

" A few spoiling it for the majority "

Regards.

Graham.

MATS
25-10-2012, 06:47

I do not think there are that many good spots in Anglesey really when you think about it - especially if you are in a largish van?

Wooie1958
25-10-2012, 06:58
I do not think there are that many good spots in Anglesey really when you think about it - especially if you are in a largish van?

I agree with MATS, mine`s over 25ft and 4 Tonne and there are not that many " Good Spots "

We do really need a larger place and find it hard to " Squeeze " in that nice little spot at the
side of the road.

caspar
16-09-2013, 00:21
You`ve got to look at this from the owners point of view.

They have a nice little spot, on the beach with a little cafe and some very nice views.

They don`t mind people " Overnighting " and make a charge to stay there.

I " Think but not 100% " it was cheaper when they first started charging.

Then word gets around on forums etc. that if you................

" Leave it till say 6 or 7PM the owners have gone and make sure you have left
by say 8AM the following morning the owners haven`t arrived and it won`t cost
anything "

One thing is for sure, word " WILL " get back to them, and that is probably why
they come down later to collect the money.

I think is the same old story of..........................

" A few spoiling it for the majority "

Regards.

Graham.

The thing here is, while I don't disagree with you about the fee dodgers, there are no facilities. Within 5 minutes drive, I can be at 5 wild camping spots which are pleasant and pretty desolate. I can also be at a campsite with stunning sea views, electric hook up, showers, water, etc.... and only pay 2 a night more. To me this is enough to stop me going, but I've had 50 years of Lligwy Beach, I still visit it regularly, so I guess it may be a little different for me.

Skatts
16-09-2013, 08:06
3 times we have been to Anglesey ,3 times we have driven around the whole of the coastline ,looking to see what other people see in the place ,hoping to be taken aback by its 'breathtaking beauty ' ,3 times we have driven back off the island and pitched up in Snowdonia instead .
We have given up now ,we just dont like Anglesey :(

frontslide
16-09-2013, 10:36
3 times we have been to Anglesey ,3 times we have driven around the whole of the coastline ,looking to see what other people see in the place ,hoping to be taken aback by its 'breathtaking beauty ' ,3 times we have driven back off the island and pitched up in Snowdonia instead .
We have given up now ,we just dont like Anglesey :(
I feel exactly the same way as this about Norfolk.

windysurfer
16-09-2013, 18:11
The thing here is, while I don't disagree with you about the fee dodgers, there are no facilities. Within 5 minutes drive, I can be at 5 wild camping spots which are pleasant and pretty desolate. I can also be at a campsite with stunning sea views, electric hook up, showers, water, etc.... and only pay 2 a night more. To me this is enough to stop me going, but I've had 50 years of Lligwy Beach, I still visit it regularly, so I guess it may be a little different for me.

Have you a link to the 12 a night campsite please?

seventiesboy
16-09-2013, 20:42
Don't "get" Anglesey either usually go to Llyn or Snowdonia.

dydigital
05-10-2013, 15:50
Cost you a far bit to park in car park for the day.

molly 2
05-10-2013, 16:45
Hi i love the car park at ligwy after 5 ish the car park emptys and then its a gem of a place.The owner told me that they cant keep loosing money from non payers as the revenue has to cover insurance charges.and if the sums dont ad up it could be gated and locked at night ,if you think 10 is to much dont go, simple, . Their may be 12 sites but will they still be 12 in july and August ?, or would they 20 plus baz:p

Smaug
05-10-2013, 16:52
Don't "get" Anglesey either usually go to Llyn or Snowdonia.

More fool you & the better for everyone else then!! :lol-061:

Seriously, I think you may have been going to the wrong parts of Anglesey.

seventiesboy
11-10-2013, 10:17
I would LOVE to "get" Anglesey and agree that I must have been going to the wrong parts as so many peeps love it.

Point me (constructively) in the right direction and I will give it a go.

Smaug
11-10-2013, 13:02
I would LOVE to "get" Anglesey and agree that I must have been going to the wrong parts as so many peeps love it.

Point me (constructively) in the right direction and I will give it a go.

First you must tell me your preferences, it's no use me sending you to my fave only to find it doesn't suit you. Choose from the flowing;

Woodland walks, Cliftop walks, busy beaches, lonely beaches, industrial ruins, bird sanctuaries (rock nesting, waders or marshland), lighthouses, castles, Victorian prison, white water canoeing, dinghy sailing, motor racing, Sea Fishing (rock, pier or boat), Seals, Unique geology, ancient history, early churches, cromlechs, Stately Homes, Sea salt factory, Sea Zoo, karting, Kids farm, lifeboat stations, Outlet shops, all these exist on Anglesey.

luckyfish252
11-10-2013, 13:28
we were on Anglesey at the weekend and headed for Holyhead breakwater poi they where blocked of with mounds of bricks and rubble and there are signs up by stena line saying no overnight parking and it also said they have a private security firm patroling and they will charge 90 so we moved on.Dont no if anyone else has seen this.

seventiesboy
11-10-2013, 21:03
Brilliant Smaug, thanks for that.

Woodland Walks, cliff top walks and lonely beaches sound like a good start.

Have spent enjoyable days at Sea Zoo and the Salt works.

Look forward to any ideas.

Beginning to "get it" now.

Smaug
11-10-2013, 21:37
Brilliant Smaug, thanks for that.

Woodland Walks, cliff top walks and lonely beaches sound like a good start.

Have spent enjoyable days at Sea Zoo and the Salt works.

Look forward to any ideas.

Beginning to "get it" now.

OK, go to Newborough & walk thro the woods (a mile or two) to Llandwyn Island. You need food for the day & clothes suitable for the forecast. A small fishing shelter, or large brolly may be useful if you get heavy rain. Aim to get on the Island at about 1/2 tide & you will get 6 hours on the dunes & rocks. Dolphins & Seals are not uncommon & we have seen an Osprey fishing there. An absolutely beautiful spot with quiet beaches - it's too far for most people to bother walking.

Next, go to the RSPB site at South Stack, spectacular cliffs & CCTV of the sea birds when they are nesting, the bridge to the stack is a bit special, but I don't think you are allowed on it these days.

Penmon point is a lovely wild spot right next to Trwyn Ddu light & Puffin Island, watch out for the yachts sailing thro the sound right by the rocks. If one is called Sea Rush, give us a wave. :wave:

Lynas Cove & the headland out to the light on the point is good too.

Camaes bay is another bird reserve with lovely beach & I think may also be a PoI, but I haven't checked. There is a coastal footpath right around the Island & the best bits are probably along the North Coast from Wylfa to Carmel Head.

Red Wharf Bay is busy in the usual holiday periods, but the beach is 5 miles wide so plenty of space away from the pub - do be careful not to get cut off tho, the tide comes in VERY quickly after 1/2 tide. There are a few 4WD vehicles under the sand.

Get an OS map, or Google Earth & have a close look all around the coast.

seventiesboy
11-10-2013, 22:27
Awesome, thanks so much for the tips

Kev
14-10-2013, 14:53
I love Lligwy beach but have always stayed quiet about it in case people take advantage and end up spoiling it... seems I was right...:sad:

Been going there for years, my mum used to live in Moelfre (now her grave is in that quaint little church just past the roundabout going towards Amlwch) and my sister used to have the shop on St. Davids caravan site at Red Wharf bay. Lots of family connections with Anglesey... still like to spend the odd night at Lligwy though....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS