PDA

View Full Version : Planning Scotland

herbenny
02-09-2012, 19:48
l

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:03
Still in the process of planning our Scotland trip it will looks like it could be late Oct/Nov ...and we have decided to head up to Stranraer first of all. Could anyone recomend a small campsite please. There are so many lovely locations to choose from I am a bit overwhelmed to be honest and havent got a clue where to start.

Yo HB,

Pretty close to Stranraer, but not stopped over (we took a stroll through site) Gillespie Leisure - Welcome To Brighouse Bay (http://www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=128)

Cracking Blue Flag beach.

You also have 7stanes - 7stanes Mountain Biking Scotland l Mountain bike trails l Borders l Dumfries and Galloway (http://7stanesmountainbiking.com/Home)

No probs wilding in these locals............

Cheers.......

Deleted user 21925
02-09-2012, 20:04
There are several listed here Jac;

Stranraer Campsites and and Caravan Sites (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Stranraer&county=)

We too are going to Scotland for 10 days later in the year and are too in the planning stage!

Rubbertramp
02-09-2012, 20:06
You don't need campsites in Scotland kid........tis very easy to wildcamp.

Here's a place near Stranraer, I think Chris has put it on the POI's now.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/16936-scotland-advice-please.html
Posts 15 16 and 18

lotty
02-09-2012, 20:09
Jac,
We went to Scotland 4 years ago and had 2 weeks. We only had a loose plan of where we wanted to go. We just went up the west coast across the middle then up the east to John o groats then down the east coast to home.
We had a camping and caravan club book which has a lot of sites listed in ( not just there's) so as we found an area we fancied stopping in we checked the book. (this was before we discovered wilding)
We always managed to find a site. I would imagine at that time of year you should be fine with availability.
Some areas we went were
Moffat, glencoe, fort william, Fort Augustus, loch ness, culloden, Dingwall, Dornoch - fantastic beach here.
Wick, John o groats, braemar and balmoral castle, st Andrews, Falkirk wheel, Peebles,
Have fun planning, I wish I was going again, so many places still to see
:fun:

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:14
You don't need campsites in Scotland kid........tis very easy to wildcamp.

It'll be one o them herbenny hair needs a wash and blow dry stops, no doubt :lol-049:

herbenny
02-09-2012, 20:24
Thanks for your help ..I did put a previous post on to ask if people could show me lovely locations. ..there was so many lovely places there is just so much to choose from and I would like to get the most of our trip in the time that we have. I think I am probably over thinking it .....:):)

herbenny
02-09-2012, 20:26
It'll be one o them herbenny hair needs a wash and blow dry stops, no doubt :lol-049:

Nooooo it wont honest .....my hair will be ten foot high and ten foot wide by the end of the week though !!!:scared:

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:30
Thanks for your help ..I did put a previous post on to ask if people could show me lovely locations. ..there was so many lovely places there is just so much to choose from and I would like to get the most of our trip in the time that we have. I think I am probably over thinking it .....:):)

It's very easy to "over think", make a loose plan, clock, or anti-clockwise around Scotland, there are too many intersesting places to visit, with little time to take it all in.

Would be same for me heading south too!!

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:32
Nooooo it wont honest .....my hair will be ten foot high and ten foot wide by the end of the week though !!!:scared:

Knicker wash then :goodluck:

Deleted user 21925
02-09-2012, 20:33
Scotland is such a stunning place, you will want to go back again and again. But a lot of the fun of these trips is in the planning and research.

herbenny
02-09-2012, 20:33
Knicker wash then :goodluck:

comando ;););)

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:35
comando ;););)

:scared: In October, November, you sure lass :scared:

herbenny
02-09-2012, 20:37
:scared: In October, November, you sure lass :scared:

:scared::scared: YEP :scared::scared:

I am a ded ard northern lass me

:lol-053::lol-053:

nesbo
02-09-2012, 20:37
How many nights are you going for Herbenny and how many miles are you prepared to travel?

I could post some suggestions based on this.

We've just retuned from a cracking weekend in Peebles. We spotted a fellow wildcamping.co.uk Campervan'er in the carpark of the amazing Traquair House Welcome to Traquair House | Traquair House, Innerleithen, Scottish Borders, Scotland (http://www.traquair.co.uk/)

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:43
:scared::scared: YEP :scared::scared:

I am a ded ard northern lass me

:lol-053::lol-053:

They don't come much "arder" than frozen, lass, himbenny better take an ice axe :raofl:

Traquair Hoose grounds are nice, bit OTT cost to view tho!

nesbo
02-09-2012, 20:46
They don't come much "arder" than frozen, lass, himbenny better take an ice axe :raofl:

Traquair Hoose grounds are nice, bit OTT cost to view tho!

9pp Runnach - by the end of the trip we were convinced it was a good deal.. Lovely place.. House is superb and the home brew they knock out is delicious..

Floors castle in Kelso is another nice place to visit..

herbenny
02-09-2012, 20:48
How many nights are you going for Herbenny and how many miles are you prepared to travel?

I could post some suggestions based on this.

We've just retuned from a cracking weekend in Peebles. We spotted a fellow wildcamping.co.uk Campervan'er in the carpark of the amazing Traquair House Welcome to Traquair House | Traquair House, Innerleithen, Scottish Borders, Scotland (http://www.traquair.co.uk/)

Hello Nesbo ....we are going for two weeks and I think we will probably head up the west and then manybe go round to Loch Lomond then head back down from there.....:)
not much planning being made as you can see ...I keep getting distrsacted lol I think several trips to scotland will be a must. :)

runnach
02-09-2012, 20:53
9pp Runnach - by the end of the trip we were convinced it was a good deal.. Lovely place.. House is superb and the home brew they knock out is delicious..

As long as you enjoyed, this is more important, gotta agree, beer is delish!!

Cheers........

nesbo
02-09-2012, 21:25
Hello Nesbo ....we are going for two weeks and I think we will probably head up the west and then manybe go round to Loch Lomond then head back down from there.....:)
not much planning being made as you can see ...I keep getting distrsacted lol I think several trips to scotland will be a must. :)

Cool - I am sure you'll have fun wherever you decided on - Scotland is a lovely place with Epic scenery and loads of fun things to do (I am from N. Ireland BTW so cant be accused of being biased)..

Maybe a bit too much driving but the link below is a logical route through all of our favourite places - let me know your thoughts and I can comment further if you want:

Stranraer, Dumfries and Galloway, UK to Peebles, Scottish Borders, UK - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Stranraer&daddr=Loch+Lomond+and+the+Trossachs+National+Park, +Luss+to:Inveraray+to:Oban+to:Fort+William+to:Glen coe+to:Callander+to:Killin+to:Pitlochry+to:Saint+A ndrews+to:Anstruther+to:Edinburgh+to:Peebles&hl=en&sll=52.54069,0.81595&sspn=14.245448,43.286133&geocode=FUfCRQMdyVaz_ylTcrHUxSJiSDEs1o3aj1bJIA%3BF ZEEWAMdsTG5_ykNKzT8h6qJSDE-b_vY21_NXw%3BFS4EWgMdjoey_ynNfirCsQyJSDFXylzbWOgFY g%3BFbXTXAMduYSs_ynB8d3S0EGJSDE3wo-B_0rdgw%3BFWkAYwMdvhmy_ykbAxw3IzOJSDEhSFQI4z6gzQ%3 BFcnoYAMdyyOy_yl1syl76jCJSDHnMhfC8-Dc0Q%3BFUM7WgMdMby__ynnrl_ORIuISDFrnPfbQe09jw%3BFW KnXQMdFRi-_ynJcMdUYJWISDGGRyvLOhCjZg%3BFWk9YQMd0RbH_ymxa-dVkQKGSDF-QBA0KRGWgA%3BFXSrWwMdLFTV_yn7-RIZmFCGSDHwqVzAnvkmVQ%3BFQTlWQMdBcvW_yl3MezRLlSGSD ETVgMsbs51Sg%3BFWTHVQMd1VnP_ykjJpilALiHSDEnF-d8exTyZA%3BFc8yUQMd1kTP_ylTzXUFmJKHSDGP3EI73x1_-Q&oq=peebles&mra=ls&t=m&z=7)

Wind Dancer
02-09-2012, 21:44
As others have said, have a loose plan. Ear mark some places you'd like to go to and then be prepared to drift.
The pace of life is wonderful up there and the scenery is breath taking (the further north you go the better it gets). Just relax and take it as it comes.

When I first drove from Glen Coe to Skye I was told by the B&B that it would take 3 hours. It actually took me 5 hours, as I had to keep stopping to admire views, or take photo's!

One of my moto's is 'There's no point in rushing off to the next place if I haven't finished with the one I'm at'.

I love Scotland :heart:

Also there is no problem with wilding there, it is so easy.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/flags/flag-of-scotland.gif (http://www.sherv.net/flag.scotland-emoticon-1071.html)

kimbowbill
03-09-2012, 07:04
Hiya Jac

if you come to the ladies meet i will get mi map out and we can have a little map studying session, over a gurgle of wine of course :dance:

oldish hippy
03-09-2012, 07:54
what a gurgle a 1024 litres same as megabyte to gigabyte ithink that right way round

Ems
03-09-2012, 09:04
Hiya Jac

if you come to the ladies meet i will get mi map out and we can have a little map studying session, over a gurgle of wine of course :dance:

I'll make sure I've got min in too - I marked my route as I went :dance:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS