PDA

View Full Version : Wild camping in Switzerland - one good place

GeoffB
14-09-2012, 11:55
We spent a few days in Switzerland last month en route from Chamonix to Bavaria, and found it almost impossible to wild camp. Every bit of land seems to be private, and even lay-bys on non-motorway roads are far and few. At one stage all the campsites we came across were full, and when attempting to find one final campsite on our list we came across a wonderful wild camping location and spent a peaceful night there. There were two motor-homes there, one Swiss and one German, and the owner of the Swiss one said he stayed there often with his family and nobody had objected.

The place is a cable-car car park at Hoch-Ybrig, Weglosen, to the East of Schwyz, N47.01.143 E008.48.544. There's space for scores of mobile homes, and the ski station had good toilet facilities with warm water, open all night when we were there. There is a small restaurant in one corner of the campsite and a "smokers' cafe" nearby (with a sign "non-smokers welcome too"!) serving beer, spirits, coffee, etc. We stopped alongside the small river, well away from the cable-car and food places. In the evening para-gliders were landing close by from off the nearby ridges, and in the morning we went on a long walk before we left. A lovely spot.

It's possible other cable-car car parks could be suitable for wild camping, but we didn't stay long enough to investigate. Switzerland is expensive, and not being in the euro you have the hassle of obtaining a different currency.

There was one semi-wild campsite we looked at, on top of the Grimsel pass (7,100 ft high) near the source of the River Rhone, with room for 4 or 5 motor-homes alongside a lake. It didn't seem to have any facilities and there was a sign saying pay 10 francs to the gift-shop nearby. Permanent snow lying in July, it was probably cold at night.

Dezi
14-09-2012, 13:58
I agree that its not the easiest of Countries to wildcamp, but I have about 30 places thanks to various websites.

Dezi :pc:

adriacoral
21-10-2012, 18:19
We found many places in switzerland would take euro and give change in francs so its not really a problem, except in parking meters...

mroova
08-08-2013, 17:41
I agree that its not the easiest of Countries to wildcamp, but I have about 30 places thanks to various websites.

Dezi :pc:

So can you please share any of these places? Would appreciate some nice spots :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS