PDA

View Full Version : Couple of spots where overnighting is now banned

KevinW
24-09-2012, 20:06
Hi,
This is my first post after joining and using the POI database (with some great success too). There were a couple of spots that we tried to get on, but it looks like overnighting is now banned.

CU Porthcawl (Bridgend) now has a large sign saying No Overnight Parking, and it's now a pay and display car park (10 for motorhomes).

Also CR Newport Sands also has a No Overnight Parking sign. We could probably have got away with it, as the car park attendent left for the day at 4pm (presumably to return the following morning), but decided not to risk it.

We did find a nearby spot to Newport Sands at N52 01.232 W4 49.476 - a small bridge over the estuary, with a small layby well used by walkers etc. Was a wonderful spot with great views as the sun went down :)

Kevin

MORGANTHEMOON
24-09-2012, 20:24
Good feedback Kevin.

buster30
24-09-2012, 21:54
This is the north beach car park in Swanage around midday a week ago!
They used to allow motorhomes to park overnight but not anymore, that would rather the car park was completely empty than allow motorhomes to park overnight for a small charge.
You can no longer park overnight anywhere in Swanage.

canalwheeler
24-09-2012, 22:04
It does seem that more and more local councils are trying to ban us by putting up 'no overnight parking', or 'no sleeping', or 'no camping' signs. On Portland Bill we even have 'no caravanettes from midnight to 8am'.

I guess it is the legality of these signs that we should be challenging, as is happening in Scotland.

Could it be time for us, as a club, to chip a few quid together each and hire a sympathetic solicitor?

Then maybe we could challenge some of this legislation in the courts? I would willingly risk my reputation and be a guinea pig. I have the time, but I don't have the money, personally.

But surely there are enough of us to build a fighting fund?

Mad Uncle Tone

lotty
24-09-2012, 22:07
Thanks for the updates Kevin.
I'm sure Canalsman will update the poi's :)

gaz2676
24-09-2012, 22:10
yeah but more than half the problem is the mess left behind i aint really on the side of councils some peoples attitude need to change not you s lot but you know the sort the no respect sod you jack brigade that screw it up for the rest of us and maybe we would nt have this prob..... bit then its not an ideal world is it

MORGANTHEMOON
24-09-2012, 22:28
yeah but more than half the problem is the mess left behind i aint really on the side of councils some peoples attitude need to change not you s lot but you know the sort the no respect sod you jack brigade that screw it up for the rest of us and maybe we would nt have this prob..... bit then its not an ideal world is it

Yes I know the few knacker it up for majority.

canalwheeler
24-09-2012, 22:30
Yes I know the few knacker it up for majority.

Yeah butt...that is not the main point is it? The main point is, are the signs legal?

CCTV cameras. Litterers will be prosecuted. Much better idea.

Tidy Uncle Tone

gaz2676
24-09-2012, 22:34
yeah but its easier to police parked mhers than litterers ......we are tarred with the same ****ty brush

Sparks
24-09-2012, 23:50
Post deleted

Canalsman
24-09-2012, 23:55
Hi,
This is my first post after joining and using the POI database (with some great success too). There were a couple of spots that we tried to get on, but it looks like overnighting is now banned.

CU Porthcawl (Bridgend) now has a large sign saying No Overnight Parking, and it's now a pay and display car park (10 for motorhomes).

Also CR Newport Sands also has a No Overnight Parking sign. We could probably have got away with it, as the car park attendent left for the day at 4pm (presumably to return the following morning), but decided not to risk it.

We did find a nearby spot to Newport Sands at N52 01.232 W4 49.476 - a small bridge over the estuary, with a small layby well used by walkers etc. Was a wonderful spot with great views as the sun went down :)

Kevin

Thanks for the updates - POIs amended :)

Regards

Chris

mark61
25-09-2012, 08:00
What happens if you have a Transit sized windsurfing motorhome, or bigger. :)

Smaug
25-09-2012, 12:28
What happens if you have a Transit sized windsurfing motorhome, or bigger. :)

That's part of the problem with such signs - there is no legal definition of a "Motorhome", yet.

But even if you use the more commonly used "legal" term "Motorised Caravan" there is no seperate taxation class, we are just treated as private cars.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS