PDA

View Full Version : France - September 2012

John H
26-09-2012, 08:20
Well, we are now about half-way on our slow trip down to Almeria for the winter and I'd thought I'd let you know about the stop-overs we used on our way through France - most of these are on the French website CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) :

1.The Aire at Sancourt (49.77333N; 3.04138E). This is in the grounds of an auberge/farm shop and is free (whether or not you buy anything). There are no services – it is just a night halt but a very pleasant one.
2.The Aire at Ouzouer-sur-Trezee (47.67051N; 2.81004E). This canal-side aire is still one of the best – with free hot showers between 9am and 8pm – even though they no longer offer free electric hook-up!
3.The Aire at Varennes ssur Allier (Department 03). You can park for free for one week but services cost 2 euros.
4.There is a new free serviced Aire at the foot of the Puy de Dome – huge amount of space and in the morning you can take the cog railway to the top of the volcano (fortunately extinct!).
5.The Aire at Murol (45.573N; 2.94062E). The services are payant (2 euros) and the free parking is across the road at the Tourist Information centre. Very pleasant little town.
6.The Aire at Ispagnac (Gorges du Tarn). Free parking and services – the only free option in the Gorges and a great base to kayak from (or it would have been if there was any water in the river – France has had one of the driest summers on record!).
7. The Aire at Lunas (Department 34). very pleasant riverside location with lots of parking and free services. Stays of up to 48 hours allowed.
8.The Aire at Narbonne Plage (43.14726N; 3.15415E). This is the only Aire we payed anything for on our trip through France but it was well-worth the 10 euros per night (including services). Right on the beach-front and a superb beach it is too. Officially you are limited to 24 hours but there is plenty of space and the guy at the reception desk will let you keep renewing (some had been there 2 weeks!).
9.The Aire at Peyrepertuse (42.86172N; 2.56545E). Free parking and services on the edge of a great little village just below the Cathar Castle.
10.The Aire at Port Vendres is 5.50 euros per night (including services) but was crammed full when we arrived so we parked for free at a car park just up the road from SuperU and a five minute stoll to the harbour front and some delicious moules-frites.
11.Wildcamp at the car park at Cap Cerbere (on the coast road just before Spain). Sorry, no co-ordinates but it is on the left at the top of the hill as you drive south out of the town.

We also stayed at a couple of municipal campsites (at le Puy-en-Velay and Montgaillard). Well, we needed to do laundry! The cost of both was around 10 euros per night including hook-up. All in all, France remains a great place for free or cheap camping but it did cost me an inordinate amount of money for a new set of tyres (one blew spectacularly as we were passing Paris!).

We are now in Spain (well, Catalonia, where the locals blank you if you call it Spain!) and I will give an update on good (and free) stopovers there when we arrive at our winter destination of Cabo de Gata campsite (£8 per night – I go for the cheap but good ones!). Suffice it to say that so far we have had no problem finding good wilding sites and there are an increasing number of free aires too (check out the superb one at Sant Filiu de Guixolls - only a third of a mile from a good beach and in a fascinating little town - and they allow you to stay 5 nights for free!).

MORGANTHEMOON
26-09-2012, 09:05
Excellent info John.
I've saved it for future use.

moonshadow
26-09-2012, 09:06
Me too, I saved it, thanks!

ellisboy
26-09-2012, 09:09
Thanks John! :nicethread:

Dezi
26-09-2012, 09:17
Thanks John we will be in the port Vendras area in two three weeks time.

Dezi

Byronic
26-09-2012, 09:43
Hi John have followed much the same route/stopovers in the past. These days I leave later in the year and keep as far west as is possible when transitting France (generally warmer than inland). However if I encounter a bit of good weather I'm tempted to
revert to your route for a change, thanks for the useful update.

GeoffB
26-09-2012, 13:45
Thank you! Saved as well, off to the Pyrenees next year and this will be very useful.

charliechan
30-09-2012, 22:51
I've just come back from France stayed at that aires on narbonne plage.
Done along that coast line working our way back through Andorra 98 pence a litre, and cheap booze & fags.
Stay to limit as they do a hell of a lot checks. If you do Andorra to Spain there is a new aires at Tremp. Ps don't ask the police for direction got their left & rights mixed up. FREE aires water point and vidange point.
Have notice some the aires on the west coast especially forest regions have this new bollard system. It cost us 4.5€ we had to use the card to pay. As coin slot was taped over. The one I went to in Gastes, which :dance:now has this inforce, but if you go biscarrosse Intermarchι they have a free aires with H20 & Vidange point for free.( the ticket machine ask how many days ie 1 jour/day, 2jour/day.... Then you get card you have put into a machine as you enter don't forget to retrieve it, then the bollard drops down. Need ticket on exit point to get out to.
Boy was it hot down there, what shocker coming home, brr cold.
:dance: can't wait to go back soon, Alpes x2 cheap aires considering the locations. Alpe d'huez was about 10-12 € get pass in town sports centre. They speak a little anglaise. There is LPG in town for gaslow users.

The other aires is les saisies just as you enter, it on the left. Beautiful snow scenery, and skiing. Pay at ticket machine. Did arrive about 8pm didn't pay that night so we got it free. It costs 8 € a night there is another one through the the town called caravanege but its dear about 25-30€ euros, has Hook ups and hot showers. The others ok if your self sufficient, can empty cassettes in wc, the type that after use washes the whole room and wc.

pippop
30-09-2012, 23:21
Well, we are now about half-way on our slow trip down to Almeria for the winter and I'd thought I'd let you know about the stop-overs we used on our way through France - most of these are on the French website CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) :

1.The Aire at Sancourt (49.77333N; 3.04138E). This is in the grounds of an auberge/farm shop and is free (whether or not you buy anything). There are no services – it is just a night halt but a very pleasant one.
2.The Aire at Ouzouer-sur-Trezee (47.67051N; 2.81004E). This canal-side aire is still one of the best – with free hot showers between 9am and 8pm – even though they no longer offer free electric hook-up!
3.The Aire at Varennes ssur Allier (Department 03). You can park for free for one week but services cost 2 euros.
4.There is a new free serviced Aire at the foot of the Puy de Dome – huge amount of space and in the morning you can take the cog railway to the top of the volcano (fortunately extinct!).
5.The Aire at Murol (45.573N; 2.94062E). The services are payant (2 euros) and the free parking is across the road at the Tourist Information centre. Very pleasant little town.
6.The Aire at Ispagnac (Gorges du Tarn). Free parking and services – the only free option in the Gorges and a great base to kayak from (or it would have been if there was any water in the river – France has had one of the driest summers on record!).
7. The Aire at Lunas (Department 34). very pleasant riverside location with lots of parking and free services. Stays of up to 48 hours allowed.
8.The Aire at Narbonne Plage (43.14726N; 3.15415E). This is the only Aire we payed anything for on our trip through France but it was well-worth the 10 euros per night (including services). Right on the beach-front and a superb beach it is too. Officially you are limited to 24 hours but there is plenty of space and the guy at the reception desk will let you keep renewing (some had been there 2 weeks!).
9.The Aire at Peyrepertuse (42.86172N; 2.56545E). Free parking and services on the edge of a great little village just below the Cathar Castle.
10.The Aire at Port Vendres is 5.50 euros per night (including services) but was crammed full when we arrived so we parked for free at a car park just up the road from SuperU and a five minute stoll to the harbour front and some delicious moules-frites.
11.Wildcamp at the car park at Cap Cerbere (on the coast road just before Spain). Sorry, no co-ordinates but it is on the left at the top of the hill as you drive south out of the town.

We also stayed at a couple of municipal campsites (at le Puy-en-Velay and Montgaillard). Well, we needed to do laundry! The cost of both was around 10 euros per night including hook-up. All in all, France remains a great place for free or cheap camping but it did cost me an inordinate amount of money for a new set of tyres (one blew spectacularly as we were passing Paris!).

We are now in Spain (well, Catalonia, where the locals blank you if you call it Spain!) and I will give an update on good (and free) stopovers there when we arrive at our winter destination of Cabo de Gata campsite (£8 per night – I go for the cheap but good ones!). Suffice it to say that so far we have had no problem finding good wilding sites and there are an increasing number of free aires too (check out the superb one at Sant Filiu de Guixolls - only a third of a mile from a good beach and in a fascinating little town - and they allow you to stay 5 nights for free!).
Hi thank`s for this, we hope to be down that way in the next two week`s what is the weather like ? and could you be more specific as to the aires Sant filu de thingy (just googled the beach and town look`s v/nice)will be looking out for your other spot`s to, can`t wait as we are aiming to go to roquetas de mar for a while all being well ,thank`s again it must of took a while to write this up for us all .---Pip---ps, how are you connecting to the internet?

David & Ann
30-09-2012, 23:27
Hi JH, nice to hear from you. If Goa does not come on the screen then I will be in Almeria also for the winter. Health reasons. If cannot travel to Asia i will be leaving for Almeria on 2nd Jan 2013 heading by road and hopefully be there as quick as we can. Stick around there till end of April. Take it then from there.Enjoy your stay at Gabo de Gata. Approach me, paintings on top sides of MH. Have fun. Good luck.☺☺☺

John H
01-10-2012, 10:07
Hi thank`s for this, we hope to be down that way in the next two week`s what is the weather like ? and could you be more specific as to the aires Sant filu de thingy (just googled the beach and town look`s v/nice)will be looking out for your other spot`s to, can`t wait as we are aiming to go to roquetas de mar for a while all being well ,thank`s again it must of took a while to write this up for us all .---Pip---ps, how are you connecting to the internet?

Weather has been very good - apart from three days of grey and damp when we were at the aire in Morella (Spain). Later heard that we had it easy because parts of southern Andalucia had major floods with over ten deaths! We connect to the internet by finding wi-fi spots and visiting campsites about once a week (we are currently on a campsite at Albarracin in Spain). The aire at Sant Filiu de Guixolles (in the Catalonian region of Spain) is at 41.78026N; 3.02303E. Will be listing all our Spanish stops in a later post. All the best, John

pippop
04-10-2012, 23:20
Weather has been very good - apart from three days of grey and damp when we were at the aire in Morella (Spain). Later heard that we had it easy because parts of southern Andalucia had major floods with over ten deaths! We connect to the internet by finding wi-fi spots and visiting campsites about once a week (we are currently on a campsite at Albarracin in Spain). The aire at Sant Filiu de Guixolles (in the Catalonian region of Spain) is at 41.78026N; 3.02303E. Will be listing all our Spanish stops in a later post. All the best, John

hi thank`s again.googled it and that place look`s brill ,ta .---Pip---

pippop
13-10-2012, 01:08

Hi John we are still at home (wife not so good ) but determined to get away asap ,so much rain here ,your forcast look`s good ,have fun, hope to be down that way v/soon , looking forward`s to seeing your other spot`s ,thank`s for sharing this with us ,I have put it out and asked if the parking is ok at Calp this year as we lost the spot just down from lidds (good man-hole too ---I like it there,not the man-hole! the beach! n town! )Thanks Pip

John H
13-10-2012, 07:55
Hi John we are still at home (wife not so good ) but determined to get away asap ,so much rain here ,your forcast look`s good ,have fun, hope to be down that way v/soon , looking forward`s to seeing your other spot`s ,thank`s for sharing this with us ,I have put it out and asked if the parking is ok at Calp this year as we lost the spot just down from lidds (good man-hole too ---I like it there,not the man-hole! the beach! n town! )Thanks Pip

Hi

Hope you get away soon - weather in Spain at the moment is very good. Can't help with info about Calp but I'm sure others will be able to tell you. All the best, John

pippop
16-10-2012, 20:59
Hi

Hope you get away soon - weather in Spain at the moment is very good. Can't help with info about Calp but I'm sure others will be able to tell you. All the best, John

Hi J/H glad the weather is fine hope the site`s nice too ,(lot`s more rain here ) any news about the places you stopped at on the way down thru Spain ? do you do the coast route or more inland ? hope to be down that way soon all been well ,thank`s for all your tip`s so far , ---Pip---

John H
22-10-2012, 12:17
Hi J/H glad the weather is fine hope the site`s nice too ,(lot`s more rain here ) any news about the places you stopped at on the way down thru Spain ? do you do the coast route or more inland ? hope to be down that way soon all been well ,thank`s for all your tip`s so far , ---Pip---

Hi

Sorry not to have replied before now but we haven't had internet connection for a while. I have posted the first section of our Spanish overnight stops on the Spain forum of this site/ The second tranch will be posted in a week or so, when we reach our final destination. We started off on the coast of Catalonia but since then we have been inland and will next hit the sea at Almeria, where we will be based for the winter.

Happy travels
John

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS