PDA

View Full Version : Kinloch Hourn???

Vanterrier
30-09-2012, 14:13
I can see a small road off the A87 which threads its way past Loch Garry and continues for 22 miles to Kinloch Hourne and think it would be an adventure to drive along it. Has anyone on here done that recently and did you see any or many places to wild camp?
I will be there in a couple of weeks time and my van is a Ducato PCV so i dont see the road width as an issue.
Let me know what you thought of it...
K

shortcircuit
30-09-2012, 14:49
Looks a good isolate spot. Join the ????? army and learn to reverse, as they were very good at it in WW2

Canalsman
30-09-2012, 15:07
I can see a small road off the A87 which threads its way past Loch Garry and continues for 22 miles to Kinloch Hourne and think it would be an adventure to drive along it. Has anyone on here done that recently and did you see any or many places to wild camp?

There are 7 wilding spots on this road in the POI Downloads :)

Regards

Chris

AdriaTwin
30-09-2012, 15:18
Great part of scotland - we drove along to Oldshoremore - next village past KinlochHourn - in our adria Twin (pvc) no problems , plenty passing places even when single track road. We stayed in a CL, it was a couple of years ago before this wonderful wbsite did downloadable POIs, but if you look at the list there are 3or 4 wilding spots listed on this road.
If you do venture out there you must walk or bike ride out to Sandwood Bay ( no road but a good path about 4 miles long ) the most spectacular place i have visited in scotland.8653
photo doesnt do it justice

AdriaTwin
30-09-2012, 15:39
Forget what I just posted ! I`m thinking about the road to Kinlochbervie which is much further north !! Early alzeimers I think !!

sparrks
30-09-2012, 15:43
Very beautiful area around Kinloch Hourn.
Dozens of places to stay enroute. Overnight spot right in Kinloch Hourn 2 honesty box if I remember correctly, flat and on grass. I arrived just before dark and in the wet, and decided against going down the hill until I had walked some of it daylight - 1 in 5 slope I believe.
Van is a Scudo just managed to get past a transit coming up the hill. Drive part of it on Google streetview.
Very quiet saw about 5 cars a day and that included the post van twice.
I found parts of the road to be rather tiring as having to concentrate so much, not a road to rush.
I understand the walk around to Barrisdale Bay to the abandoned village is said to be worth it and then on to Knoydart.

Paul

Don't expect a mobile phone signal out there, I had trouble finding a radio station.

Vanterrier
01-10-2012, 07:49
Thanks all, I didnt want to be reporting another like this in a couple of weeks time ;)

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/19479-nomination-scariest-motorhome-road-britain-so-far.html#post198847

I think it looks and now sounds like its worth the effort to investigate...

thanks

K ;)

Vanterrier
01-10-2012, 07:55
Forget what I just posted ! I`m thinking about the road to Kinlochbervie which is much further north !! Early alzeimers I think !!

Haha... I have been on that road and walked out to Sandwood Bay a couple of times the stack to the south is impressive, its my favourite coastal place. We actually bivvied out there in the dunes one time a few years ago and that was an experience I can tell you. Last time I was in Oldshoremore there was some old boy in the carpark who looked like he had taken up residence in his old van, it was like having a warden :). The WC's were good and clean, theres also a site on the Machair (spellink?) about half a mile further on down the road and thats right on the shoreside... great stuff.

K ;)

Vanterrier
22-10-2012, 14:37
Well I drove the road last week and confirm it is a great road. the surface is not bad for most of the way and the far end of the road has a very steep descent to Kinloch Hourn itself (the wife was on the edge of the seat and ready to jump out i think :lol-053: ) a bit tight and nadgery so coachbuilts beware... this is a campervan road.
theres loads of deer about in large groups at the minute due to the Rut so you need to watch what is round the next bend. Plenty of places to wild-camp and as you might expect there was no traffic ... at all !!! 22 miles each way and not one car encountered!
I would recommend it if you have three hours to spare or want to wild in the WILD...
K :drive:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS