PDA

View Full Version : Dunure.

christine
04-10-2012, 15:56
Do not be tempted to park on the harbour at Dunure if you are a coachbuilt. The road is a dead end with a few parking bays (on a hill) and if these are full, your only option is to go onto the harbour to turn. It is a very tight turn, we had to have three bites at it, parked up for a wander round and realised it would be a little difficult to get out again!! Much as Dunure is a lovely place, we spent our time worrying about our escape!! There is a carpark at the top of the village, further to the south but we didn't know this and had already turned down to the harbour!!870887098710

The first and last phot show the road down with the entrance to the harbour. The second photo shows our van on the harbour.

toxicturtle
16-10-2012, 21:10
The park at the top of Dunure is supposedly gated at night but we parked as far away from the entrance as possible and spent a quiet night with a cracking sunset over the Castle.

toxicturtle
10-09-2013, 13:13
Words of experience, we parked up at Dunure Harbour and we all had a few beers at the pub, however soon after we left we were visited by the Harbour Master saying he'd had a complaint and we wer'nt allowed to stay where we were. Politely showed him the wild camping sign and notice close to where we were parked and offered contact details. Also explained we'd all had a few drinks in the pub and were unable to drive. All done politely and the guy said fair enough and we were allowed to stay the night.
It does have to be said he was under the impression we were southern interlopers and and that the call according to one of the locals was made by the landlord of the pub.
Also beware there is now no shop in local Dunure.

hillwalker
10-09-2013, 21:19
That's very strange , I've parked in Dunure a few times without a problem .. rite enough im quite discreet were I park ...

OnTheRoad2
13-12-2013, 15:18
I visited Dunure during the week, a nice quiet place.

The top car park was gated and locked. This was about 2:30 pm on a Wednesday. Lots of double yellow lines in the area. A bit further South before the main road there a 3 big laybyes with good views. Good for a pitstop.

mikeflys
06-10-2016, 21:24
There is a very good local shop in Dunure. I use it regularly.
Head South uphill from harbour, and before you reach Kennedy Park, ( a lovely place to stop for a while but 2 charge and closed at night ),
there is a sign saying shop. I highly recommend it. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. I take my Dad out every Friday in the motorhome and usually make him food myself as he is 85 has Dementia and specific dietary needs. When we go to Dunure I just go to the wee shop and the couple who own it will do everything to help.
Personally I can advise trying the home made Pakora. I have just looked back at this posting and it looks like an advert - it's not.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS