PDA

View Full Version : Ennerdale

landrovereditor
07-10-2007, 21:12
Hi
Good solid level park, the site of the old Inn, at the South side of the lake, (Broadmoor picnic area is just before the bridge) this area is after the bridge on the left.
Also there is a good area on the west of the lake, not the picnic site, but past the farm and through the gate, unsurfaced road but level easy to drive, down the side of the field and though the second gate, turn left and by the side of the water is a good hard standing.
Remote and quiet, a few locals cycling and Dog walking early morning but very friendly.
Great views.

rach82
08-06-2009, 15:00
Hi

New to the site

Looking to park at the west side you talked about on Thursday night

Can you please give me more details - thanks

Gareth Browning
30-06-2010, 07:32
Im glad you enjoyed your stay in Ennerdale however I would like to point out that Overnight Camping or Stay by Motorhomes is not permitted at any of the car parks around the Ennerdale Lake.

Whilst we recognise that there are no signs saying "No Camping" this doesnt by default mean that camping is permitted. WE prefer to tell people the activites they can do and assume that people will seek permission before carrying out other activities.

Bownes Knott Car Park is owned by the Forestry Commission and is thus covered by the Forestry Act and its associated bylaws (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fce-fc-byelaws.pdf/$FILE/fce-fc-byelaws.pdf). These prohibit the parking of a vehicle between the hours of sunset and sunrise (7iii) as well as prohibiting the set up or place of any caravan (5x).

Please accept that my comments mean no criticism of Motorhome users who are welcome to visit Ennerdale and park in the car parks during daytime. I myself am a caravaner and know the enjoyment and freedom that comes from this activity. However the presence of Motorhomes may attract others who think it is acceptable to stay overnight and we are concerned that this will lead to our car parks becoming semi permanent camping grounds which is not what they are designed for and is not what the majority of our visitors want.

We have seen an increase in litter and open fires around the lakeshore which appears to be connected to an increase in camping during this period of warm dry weather which we are tackling as well.

There are two caravan sites just out of the valley at Felldyke, Dockray Meadow (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk%20sites/Site%20Details.aspx?csid=21868) managed by the Caravan Club and a privately managed site opposite.

Many thanks

Gareth Browning
Area Forester and Wild Ennerdale Partner

For more information abou the Ennerdale Valley and the Wild Ennerdale Partnership please visit Wild Ennerdale (http://www.wildennerdale.co.uk)

olpoll
03-07-2010, 22:11
Im glad you enjoyed your stay in Ennerdale however I would like to point out that Overnight Camping or Stay by Motorhomes is not permitted at any of the car parks around the Ennerdale Lake.

Whilst we recognise that there are no signs saying "No Camping" this doesnt by default mean that camping is permitted. WE prefer to tell people the activites they can do and assume that people will seek permission before carrying out other activities.

Bownes Knott Car Park is owned by the Forestry Commission and is thus covered by the Forestry Act and its associated bylaws (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fce-fc-byelaws.pdf/$FILE/fce-fc-byelaws.pdf). These prohibit the parking of a vehicle between the hours of sunset and sunrise (7iii) as well as prohibiting the set up or place of any caravan (5x).

Please accept that my comments mean no criticism of Motorhome users who are welcome to visit Ennerdale and park in the car parks during daytime. I myself am a caravaner and know the enjoyment and freedom that comes from this activity. However the presence of Motorhomes may attract others who think it is acceptable to stay overnight and we are concerned that this will lead to our car parks becoming semi permanent camping grounds which is not what they are designed for and is not what the majority of our visitors want.

We have seen an increase in litter and open fires around the lakeshore which appears to be connected to an increase in camping during this period of warm dry weather which we are tackling as well.

There are two caravan sites just out of the valley at Felldyke, Dockray Meadow (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk%20sites/Site%20Details.aspx?csid=21868) managed by the Caravan Club and a privately managed site opposite.

Many thanks

Gareth Browning
Area Forester and Wild Ennerdale Partner

For more information abou the Ennerdale Valley and the Wild Ennerdale Partnership please visit Wild Ennerdale (http://www.wildennerdale.co.uk)

here we go again! why when people find a nice quiet out the way place to wild camp in there motorhome with no sings to say that they cant does someone have to come along and spoil things :(

Alzi1967
04-07-2010, 07:08

Whilst we recognise that there are no signs saying "No Camping" this doesnt by default mean that camping is permitted.

I guess the Signs will now be on order !!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

maureenandtom
04-07-2010, 07:32
Hi Gareth,

Thank you for opening a discussion about parking on Forestry Commission property. I think we could have a lively and useful debate. Thank you.

There are a few points I'd eventually like you to consider but I'll start with only one. The first glaring point I'd take issue with is this assumption of yours that I will assume that EVERYTHING is banned unless I ask permission. “WE prefer to tell people the activites they can do and assume that people will seek permission before carrying out other activities.” Is this an attitude you carry for all aspects of your own life? It must be tedious always asking permission for things.

Anyway, as a veteran I have the old soldier's attitude that you should never ask a jobsworth's permission for anything. They take delight in refusing. Don't give them the opportunity.

My suggestion would be that you find ways of tackling the three problems you identify in a more constructive way instead of a dictatorial ban on overnight parking. I'd always thought that the Forestry Commission is publicly owned (is it? I'd always thought it was) and perhaps you'd let us know how we, the owners, can change your (the Commission's) attitudes. Are you in a position where you can influence the rules you administer?

Like I said, thank you for opening the debate. Was there a reason you waited almost three years to do so?

Tom

barryd
04-07-2010, 09:15
This chap has just done a duplicate post here http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/6310-great-sites-lake-district-2.html#post105953

Im starting to wonder if its just a wind up as he hasnt responded to my quite reasonable reply in the other post and why would he cut and paste the same reply in a three year old post here? He admits to being a tugger. Me thinks perhaps he is not from the forestry commision or indeed any lake district authrority but just a disgruntled tugger who doesnt like motorhome because he cant afford one and cant wild camp either. I could be wrong but I smell a rat.

Carry on wilding in the lakes everyone there are loads of great place to stay. Oh and thanks Gareth for the two post as I never knew about that spot. Will try it out soon.

Old_Arthur
04-07-2010, 09:19
i thought this at first but google the guys name??

barryd
04-07-2010, 09:38
Yep your right, there are even a couple of videos BBC - Video Nation - FORESTER by Gareth Browning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/videonation/articles/c/cumbria_forester.shtml) oh and guess what? He certainly doesnt sound like a local. The lakes is full of outsiders who think they can run riot with their legislation and jobsworth attitude. Take the 10mph ban on windermere. None of the locals wanted it. None of the locals in Ennerdale or any part of the lakes will object to the odd respectable and responsible motorhomer wildcamping in the area. You dont own the lakes Gareth (if you really are Gareth) we all do.

The Grand Wanderer
04-07-2010, 09:55
Gareth Brown (http://www.garethbrowning.co.uk/) lives in Cockermouth and does indeed work for the Forestry Commision (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/fchomepages.nsf/hp/England).
Tom raises some very interesting questions and as the Forestry Commision is in fact the government department responsiable the care of our forests and supposedly promotes public access and events within them, prehaps its time we took up the gauntlet and actively lobbied our MP's and other public servents to get the same access rights that exist in Scotland.
I do also wonder by what right Gareth sets himself up as the official voice of the Forestry Commision and whether his bosses are aware of his activities.
Wanderer

GregM
04-07-2010, 11:04
I do also wonder by what right Gareth sets himself up as the official voice of the Forestry Commision and whether his bosses are aware of his activities.
Wanderer

This was my thoughts exactly, wasn't sure if he was 'real' when he first posted but then if he is, does he have authority to post on site such as here?

barryd
04-07-2010, 13:36
Im betting it isnt really him. Would someone seriously go out of their way to search a wildcamping website and post anti motorhome and wildcamping bo**ocks in their spare time? Perhaps we should track down the real Gareth as if it is a wind up by a tugger or disgruntled ex member the real Gareth is going to be pretty miffed and so will his bosses. Its certainly not doing the Lakes any good whatsoever and if its just a wind up its not doing any of us any good either. Perhaps Admin can check his credentials or as he is easily found on the Internet perhaps he can be contacted that way.

barryd
04-07-2010, 14:06
Ok here we go. I have sent Gareth an email. He makes no attempt to hide his contact details which are on a link in his post here

The Forestry Commission :- Peil Wyke, Bassenthwaite Lake, Cockermouth, Cumbria CA13 9YG, Tel 017687 76816, email Gareth Browning

Wild Ennerdale Contact Us (http://www.wildennerdale.co.uk/about%20us%20-%20contact.html)

My concern is that if this is a hoax then the real Gareth needs to be informed so below is a copy of the email I have sent to the public email address he advertises as gareth.browning@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

Hello Gareth

You may or may not be aware that there are three posts on the forum www.wildcamping.co.uk under your name where you (if it is really you) have pointed out that wildcamping in Motorhomes is not allowed around Ennerdale. The three posts are duplicates and on none of them has there been any response from you. This leads me to believe that perhaps it is someone impersonating you and therefore I would like to draw this to your attention so that you can take action or if it is you confirm this also. If the post are real, many of us would like to know by what right you have set yourself up as the official voice of the Forestry Commision and whether your bosses are aware of your activities. If it is you (and I appoliges Profusely if it isnt) then I shall make it my duty to inform a higher authority at the Foresty commisions of your actions. I will also choose to do this should you not reply to either this email or the posts on the forum. Once again I suspect the whole thing is a hoax and appologies in advance if it is. I and the other members at wildcamping.co.uk look forward to your response.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/8690-bowness-ennerdale.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/2313-ennerdale.html#post105664

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/6310-great-sites-lake-district.html

GregM
04-07-2010, 14:23
I would not have mentioned contacting the Forestry Commission about his posts.

If the posts where by him but unofficial then he is not going to admit that he was the one to post them if his superiors are not going to be happy about it is he?

barryd
04-07-2010, 14:30
Well maybe. Too late now, just have to see if we or I get a response. I suspect not.

barryd
08-07-2010, 18:24
It is him. Hes a response from my email

HI Barry

Thanks for your email.

It was me that posted the original posting and I would like to respond. Unfortunately the website system will not let me view more than 10 posts a week and I used that limit up last week searching the forums.

I will post this week.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Regards

Gareth

Well at least he got back to me. Lets see if Gareth responds.

olpoll
01-08-2010, 21:05
I'm not bothered if he replays or not!
Ive just spent another lovely night at ennerdale and at least now i know now who I'm sending on there way if he ever knocks on my motor home door in the middle of the night:mad: i hope his 10 posts stay 10 posts and he never gets back on this forum because as for as I'm concerned he's not welcome here just like were not welcome by him in ennerdale.

DiAndy
11-03-2013, 09:26
Hi Guys,
I have just done a recci into Ennerdale as I am looking for a wildcamp location that allows me to take on the Wainwrights in the area.
On arrival at the Bowness Car Park there were two motorhomes that clearly looked as they were wildcamping. Also there is NO signage that says you cannot camp there.
I note an earlier statement as to the Forestry Commission and its bylaws. This begs the question 'does everyone have to know all the bylaws in the country'. How on earth are you expected to know that there is a general restriction?
More concerning to me was the width restriction 6' 6" on the only access route. The day after I was there a full blown rescue took place on the fells deeper into the valley. Two helicopters and three mountain rescue teams. I would not have liked to be coming out of that valley when they were trying to go in. I'm sure any breach of the width restriction on that day would have been met with a prosecution.:mad2:
Having said all this I am still of a mind to go there.:)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS