PDA

View Full Version : Ashness Bridge. Kewwick

PaulC
08-10-2007, 10:29
Just past the bridge there is a small car park on the right, National Trust but no "No camping" signs.
Here's a link for a photo.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu252/blackadderthe4/ashness.jpg

Trevor
16-06-2009, 18:56
Just past the bridge there is a small car park on the right, National Trust but no "No camping" signs.
Here's a link for a photo.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu252/blackadderthe4/ashness.jpg

There is a farm up on the left he runs a camping field, my, mate stayed there.

PaulC
16-06-2009, 20:01
So have I, but it's closed the last time I enquired.

lesandy247
11-08-2009, 17:13
Just beware - Ashness Bridge is pretty narrow, so I wouldn't recommend it in a large 'van!!

Boxerman
11-08-2009, 18:53
If you go further along that road you come to surprise view - which is a bit of a surprise:) and if you carry on to the end you come to Watenlath where there is quite a large carpark, I don't know if overnight parking is allowed here though.
Watch out for the Buzzards and Red Squirrels.

Frank

morphboy
13-08-2009, 07:59
definitely no overnight camping allowed at the Watendlath national trust camp site. Took my 18 foot C class up there earlier this year to climb some hills around there (never again...the road is simply too narrow) and got into a row with a National trust warden. I arrived at ten in the morning and he stomped over immediately and started assuming I was going to stop the night (which I wasn't)....the no overnight camping is plain to see. So I gave him a telling off for not simply introducing himself and saying good morning before having a rant. He then started insulting A Wainwright and I thought 'is this loser trying to represent the NT in the Lakes?'. I gave him the brush off but beware of idiot NT warden around watendlath

blobb140
13-08-2009, 14:03
What campsite? there was only a car park and cafe last time we were there!

PaulC
13-08-2009, 15:49
What campsite? there was only a car park and cafe last time we were there! yes but it used to be a campsite! Believe it or not given the uneven ground, in most places.

Boxerman
13-08-2009, 16:01
How long ago was it a campsite? It's always been a carpark for as long as I can remember.

Frank

PaulC
13-08-2009, 16:14
Five years ago, about

Boxerman
13-08-2009, 16:26
I first went there when my son was about 8 it was a car park. He is now 31 and it is a carpark. I admit that it has been a while since I was there but I'm sure it's not been that long.

Are you saying that it was a carpark, then a campsite and now back to a carpark?

Frank

PaulC
13-08-2009, 16:59
It has never been just a car park! I think you have your locations mixed up. Because you seem to be saying Surpise View is vastly different to Ashness Bidge. Well as far as I'm concerned Surprise View is near Ashness Bridge! And Ashness campsite and cafe are not be what you are thinking of.

Boxerman
13-08-2009, 17:15
yes but it used to be a campsite! Believe it or not given the uneven ground, in most places.

It has never been just a car park! I think you have your locations mixed up. Because you seem to be saying Surpise View is different to Ashness Bidge. Well as far as I'm concerned Surprise View is Ashness Bridge!

I was of the impression we were discussing the carpark at Watenlath which is approximately 2 1/2 miles south of Ashness Bridge.

Surprise view is about 5/8 of a mile south of Ashness Bridge, it is not the same place.

About halfway between Ashness Bridge and Surprise View is/was a (tent only?) campsite.

Frank

PaulC
13-08-2009, 17:50
"Watenlath" is not Ashness! The campsite is/was about 200 meters from the bridge!

Croftland1
13-08-2009, 19:43
I think there may be some crossed wires here. I am not aware of a National Trust camp site ever existing at Watendlath. There is an ancient cottage and attached barn at what is effectively the head of the road. A cafe is run there and there is adequate car parking at the rear, but no camping. I think the post should have read "National Trust Car Park."

penhalli
30-08-2009, 06:41
I can assure you all,that the car park at Watendlath is still there!! How am I so sure?? Because I live here!!....There are car parks ,5 in total on the Watendlath road....Ashness Camp site no longer functions...Ashness Farm Cafe lasted 1 season!! and is now closed.....The Tea room at Watendlath is still serving the thousands of walkers:D,it receives every season,:eek:,and overnight camping is not allowed...hope that clears everything up...

PaulC
30-08-2009, 08:09
Ashness Camp site no longer functions...Ashness Farm Cafe lasted 1 season!! Why did the camp site fold? Had they not just upgraded the toilets, etc? I suppose the cafe failed because the campsite folded.

phil1510
25-04-2010, 21:16
we camped in the Ashness bridge car park 2 nights in March, no problems, bridge very very narrow, caught my trim !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS