PDA

View Full Version : Skipton Area

christine
15-10-2007, 21:31
Having a long weekend in this area this weekend. Want to visit Skipton castle, Bolton Abbey and Malham Cove. Anyone know of places to wild camp or quiet C's around here? Also, is it easy to park a motorhome in Skipton, ie: height barriers or other such restrictions?

Thanks.

mandrake
15-10-2007, 21:48
Having a long weekend in this area this weekend. Want to visit Skipton castle, Bolton Abbey and Malham Cove. Anyone know of places to wild camp or quiet C's around here? Also, is it easy to park a motorhome in Skipton, ie: height barriers or other such restrictions?

Thanks.
last time we were in skipton albeit a while ago the car parks were ok no hight restrictions as i can remember but there are loads of places to stay round that area depends how wild you want it malham is great come to think of it will have to return there sometime in the none to distant future malham tarn is great and the water fall is something else many years ago i used to go potholeing in that area think ? thats how you spell it:confused: :confused:

Trevor
15-10-2007, 21:53

Thanks.
Here is somewhere you might like to visit, not to far from Skipton take a look here. http://www.mothershiptonscave.com/info.htm
There is Parking down by the river directly over the road and you can get a 24 hour ticket never stayed there but i was temted to seemed like a good spot close to the river and a park.:)

christine
16-10-2007, 10:31
Thanks, all. Like the sound of Malham although might there be a problem with the ground being wet? Are there plenty of places to park a 24 ft long motorhome?We like to be away from the madding crowds also so wouldn't fancy being camped amongst a large group.

Had thought about Mother Shipton's but it may have to wait for another time.

swingsandroundabouts
16-10-2007, 22:01
Never had a problem parking in Skipton. There is a huge car park that takes cars and HGV's , behind the town hall, just down from castle entrance. Not wildcamped in that area but stayed at the CL at the Craven Heifer on road to Grassington.
Sshhhh, used to have a static at Long Ashes caravan park near Threshfield while we also had the motorhome, the motorhome won!:D ;) :p

christine
17-10-2007, 07:35
Mandrake, did you mean there were plenty of places to wild camp around Malham or in general? Are booked in for Friday night,on the way, at a CL at Hellifield. Next day we thought we'd go to Malham and then look for a wild camping spot.

Swingsandroundabouts, that's good to know we'll be welcome in Skipton. Hate getting to places and spending hours trying to find somewhere to park, only to be faced with a height barrier or full parks.

Trevor
17-10-2007, 12:35

Thanks.
Hi Christine,
My wife and grand dughter and I might be going to Yorkshire this weekend to a place called Grewelthorpe depending on the weather forcast.
We are not wild camping as such, as we pay 4 a head per night its very basic but still as wild as can be as the farmer is into conservation and has built a roundhouse on the land and there is a big teepee (wigwam) in one field the toilets are dungees we have been quite a few times now and never get bored with the place, we can have a fire also so we can do a bit jamming round the fire.
Beautifull place and as near as dam it to wildcamping.:)

christine
17-10-2007, 15:50
Hi, Trevor. Where is Grewelthorpe? We also like to have a fire so sounds promising (although 4 a head mounts up to 12!!! Bit over budget maybe...)

Trevor
17-10-2007, 16:02
Hi, Trevor. Where is Grewelthorpe? We also like to have a fire so sounds promising (although 4 a head mounts up to 12!!! Bit over budget maybe...)
Hi Christine,
The camp is the last one this year and its for the friends of limetree farm, if you want to go I can see if I can get an invite for you.
Take a look at this http://www.limetreefarm.co.uk/ its not far from Masham.;)

christine
17-10-2007, 16:46
Thanks Trevor, looked up Grewelthorpe and it's not quite where we want to be. We were in that area last year so are concentrating on the Skipton area this time. Also have a friend living in Skipton.

Have a great weekend. Forecast's not bad I believe.

Trevor
17-10-2007, 17:10
Thanks Trevor, looked up Grewelthorpe and it's not quite where we want to be. We were in that area last year so are concentrating on the Skipton area this time. Also have a friend living in Skipton.

Have a great weekend. Forecast's not bad I believe.
Cheers and you too:rolleyes:)

christine
23-10-2007, 14:51
Are back from a great few days around here. Stayed the first night just west of Hellifeld on a CL., all hard standings and electric. 8.50 a night. Next night we managed to get on to Hurries farm CL near Otterburn and Airton, enroute to Malham.Again, all hard and electric, 8 a night. And the last two nights we spent on another farm CL above Silsden in the middle of nowhere. A great place within easy reach of Skipton and the likes. Newly installed electric and a bit of hardish ground (oh, and there is a toilet) all for 6 a night. This was more like it. Normally we don't bother with electic but we foolishly had not checked on our gas and found it was very low. The nights were extremely cold, down to freezing, so electric was required for the fan heater.

All three CL's were wonderfully peaceful.As for wild camping, we had a run on the motorbike to Malham Tarn and up on the moorland there is a large open grassy area which would have been ideal. Only problem was the roads are extremely narrow and steep, not for the likes of a large coacbuilt.

Parking in Skipton was fine. We even got parked in the Town Hall carpark at midday on market day. And we got away with only paying for one parking bay, even though we overhung!!

mandrake
23-10-2007, 17:25
hi glad you had a great time the prices of the camp sites i assume it was per person you did not say if it was for the van all in that is cheap

christine
23-10-2007, 18:38
No, the prices are for all of us + van. We always use CL.s but normally pay around the 4 - 5 mark without electricity. CL's are becoming increasingly more expensive but still(just about)fill that gap between wild camping and organised sites. It's getting more and more difficult to find a basic CL, ie; a field with no facilities other than a tap and chemical disposal.

mandrake
23-10-2007, 18:46
cheers never used a cl dont even know what they are or if there is a web site for them when we had the caravan we used ordinary sites but since we have had the van we just wild thats if you call car parks and the like i do know the camping club have basic sites but have never used them

swingsandroundabouts
23-10-2007, 19:06
We try to use CL's( Certified Locations) in between the wilding for filling up and dumping. We have stayed on some lovely sites and were paying 3 per night for the 2 of us and the van when we first started to use them. As Christine said they are getting more and more expensive now. Got talking to the Lord of the Manor from the 'big house' at a CL at Kinross ,he had to pay 700 for a licence for his electric hook ups if he wanted to continue to operate it through the Camping and Caravan club. The customers he would get for the year couldn't even use that much electricity! I am sure he made up for it though when he rented out his fields for the Rock festival he holds there each year!

christine
24-10-2007, 15:19
We actually only joined the Caravan Club and the Camping Club purely for the Certificated Locations. A field inthe middle of nowhere is our ideal site when there is nowhere to wild camp. There is still the odd one around here like that, charging 3 a night. Sadly, more and more are catering for the larger caravans who MUST have electricity to run all the sophisticated gadgets these vans secrete.

When in Scotland, we always wild camp, only staying on CL's the first and last nights.Go to bed when it's dark, hardly use any lights (have to keep the midges out) and rise when it's light (sometimes!!!)

loubylou
24-10-2007, 22:10
Hi
we are members of camping club, but wondered if cl's are the same as cs (certified sites).

A friend of ours has a farm and they run a certified site, I think she can only have 4 units per night

Lou

christine
25-10-2007, 10:52
They are the same idea, most take 5 units only. Camping Club (Certified Sites) are also allowed some tents, depending on the size of the site. Caravan Club, Certificated Locations, only have 5 units but sometimes allow pup tents with a van but no individual tents. It is well worth being members of both clubs if you are going to use CS's/CL's a lot.

Rabbit
26-07-2009, 17:16
Hi

Motorvans only, must have own sanitation.

Can spend a night or two at Cattle Market (a short walk into Skipton T.C. via the park, up the steps to college grounds 1st). You have to get permission. Go down to the house (on site). Best through week as they have a lot of cattle markets (obviously), plus other events at w/e.

Caravan club & Camping & caravanning Club both have rallies there.

avandriver
10-09-2011, 16:48
Had a night out in Skipton last night and stayed on the car park by the canal on coach road with another camper ( not a forum member ) .

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/Avandriver_photos/Iveco/DSCF6987.jpg

There is a 2 charge for overnight parking .

There is a notice on the ticket machines stating that cooking and sleeping is not allowed , but I spoke to the man who was emptying the machine and he said everyone ignores it and he has never heard of anyone being told to move .

The pubs in Skipton are well worth the 2 to stay the night .

Steve

Canalsman
10-09-2011, 19:33
Had a night out in Skipton last night and stayed on the car park by the canal on coach road with another camper ( not a forum member ) .

There is a 2 charge for overnight parking .

There is a notice on the ticket machines stating that cooking and sleeping is not allowed , but I spoke to the man who was emptying the machine and he said everyone ignores it and he has never heard of anyone being told to move .

The pubs in Skipton are well worth the 2 to stay the night .

Steve

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I've added this to the POI database :)

Regards

Chris

White Knight
07-02-2013, 16:07
And the last two nights we spent on another farm CL above Silsden in the middle of nowhere. A great place within easy reach of Skipton and the likes. Newly installed electric and a bit of hardish ground (oh, and there is a toilet) all for 6 a night.

Could someone reveal the CL for this place, please.
We are looking for somewhere near Skipton that's wild and we can light our firepit in safety but peace.

Cheers

Steve

christine
08-02-2013, 09:35
Lower Heights Farm, Silsden, Keighley. From A6034 at Silsden, take Bradley Road NW. for 1.5 miles. Site on left.

Silsden - Lower Heights Farm campsite | West Yorkshire (http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseekerlite/aspx/details.aspx?id=104083)

Would seem the fees have gone up to 12 with electric.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS