PDA

View Full Version : Wildcamping Italy

Peter Byrne
16-10-2007, 14:56
We have just put a deposit on a second hand Hymer S820 in Germany and wonder if somebody could tell us about wildcamping in Italy. Is it legal and safe.

Many thanks,

Peter

Loathecliff
16-10-2007, 15:39
Not sure if it's legal, but a lot of it goes on:)

I have not toured Italy since 2001, so i hope someone else will be more up to date.

There are (were?) quite a few aires, like in France & Germany. I think I had the list out of an Italian motorhome magazine.

I felt quite safe there, but I avoided the large cities.

I have heard talk of well organised gangs preying on motorhomes in Italy, but in many years of travel the only place I had problems was an overated, overpriced,overpopulated, cold, infected island just north of France....... I can't recall its name .......................:rolleyes:

grath
16-10-2007, 17:24
We have just put a deposit on a second hand Hymer S820 in Germany and wonder if somebody could tell us about wildcamping in Italy. Is it legal and safe.

Many thanks,

Peter
Hi Peter.
During my International Trucking days that finished about 5 years ago, I went to Italy numerous times however it was not my specialty!!
Mostly I went to the Northern half, however on 2 occasions I have been to the south and even to Sicily!
I have no idea if wildcamping is legal or not however would recommend that if wilding, it may be safer if you overnight at a little Tratoria and not in one of the Large Towns!!
I would not recommend overnighting in any of the large service areas ( but that is probably the same in any country!)
Italy is totally controlled by the Mafia, they usually have their cut of everything, in fact when I went to Sicily I met 2 other British Truckers at the docks and we had to give them a back hander to avoid any possible trouble before we boarded the ferry to Messina! (The ferry company knew this was going on as it was very blatant!!)
Although I have said the above, I have never had any trouble myself and I have taken any advice about where to park by locals and acted accordingly!
I would go there and just get a feel for the place and if it feels safe then stop and if not, do not stop!
Small villages are probably as safe as anywhere and the people are quite friendly!
I would imagine that someone on here must have been there recently with a M/H and could probably advise you better!
You could go over to the North east and go down the coast road of Yugoslavia as this is a very nice scenic road!
Hope you enjoy and good luck with the Hymer!:D

mandrake
16-10-2007, 18:13

Many thanks,

Peter
hi dont know if wilding is legal in italy but most things are!!!!! but my wife says mamamia safe dont think she would and her family are from catania in sicilia or sicily as it is more commonly known by the way grath she says mafia never heard of them !!!!! just a few familys looking after there intrests and if thats what she says who am i to dissagre:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

grath
16-10-2007, 18:17
hi dont know if wilding is legal in italy but most things are!!!!! but my wife says mamamia safe dont think she would and her family are from catania in sicilia or sicily as it is more commonly known by the way grath she says mafia never heard of them !!!!! just a few familys looking after there intrests and if thats what she says who am i to dissagre:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
Hey mandrake, I would love to meet her as lots of stories to tell. BY the way I have a mate at work from Sicily!!!
Been to Catania, Saracusa and Gela 9please excuse spelling if wrong!!!
Hey they cant drive there!!!!! the only time they would try to overtake my artic was on serious bendsSSSSSSSS:D :D :D

mandrake
16-10-2007, 18:28
Hey mandrake, I would love to meet her as lots of stories to tell. BY the way I have a mate at work from Sicily!!!
Been to Catania, Saracusa and Gela 9please excuse spelling if wrong!!!
Hey they cant drive there!!!!! the only time they would try to overtake my artic was on serious bendsSSSSSSSS:D :D :D
my wife asks if you have ever visited plamiero ?( even i dont no how to spell that one ) weird places :D and as for overtaking on bend she says thats what makes life more intresting :eek:

grath
16-10-2007, 18:31
my wife asks if you have ever visited plamiero ?( even i dont no how to spell that one ) weird places :D and as for overtaking on bend she says thats what makes life more intresting :eek:
No never been there but I would have liked to.
I did overnight under Mount Etna and I have photoes of it giving off a little smoke:D :cool:
Talking of Palermo!!!
I saw enough scooters in Messina and I would imagine even more in Palermo!!!:eek:

Beps
28-04-2010, 00:01
A good site for camper/motor homer. Search for place to stay in Italy. Loads are wild spots. Unfortunately is only in Italian.
www.camperonline.it/sosta.asp

Could be translate using Google.
1. Copy www.camperonline.it/sosta.asp and paste it into Google.
2. Run the search.
3. On the right of the first result you will see the link [Translate this page]. Click on it and by magic you can read it in English or any other language you have chosen.

Beps

Beps
28-04-2010, 00:34
Link for all stops by region + Motorways

www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=?

or

www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=ABRUZZO
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=BASILICATA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=CALABRIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=CAMPANIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=EMILIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=FRIULI
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=LAZIO
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=LIGURIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=LOMBARDIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=MARCHE
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=MOLISE
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=PIEMONTE
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=PUGLIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=SARDEGNA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=SICILIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=TOSCANA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=TRENTINO
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=UMBRIA
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=Valle%20d%27Aosta
www.camperonline.it/sosta_visualizza.asp?reg=VENETO
www.camperonline.it/sosta-Autostrade.asp

Beps

Belgian
28-04-2010, 06:45
Molto bene Beps, :D
Thanks

tommytli
29-04-2010, 23:00
this might help if ive done it right, poi's for italian sostas

Maxicatimus
23-05-2010, 22:23
The Italians are lovely people and campers are welcome in thousands more places than they are in the UK.
We have had quite a few holidays there and love Italy very much, We're off on our first camper van run to the lakes in a few weeks time.
An overnighter to Le Havre then a two day steady trek towards the Lake Como (ish) area wild camping midway, then mix wild camping with the odd site for a week then a two day drive back, I'm really looking forward to it.
The Italians and the French have a fantastic attitude towards campers and it makes the whole journey mush more relaxed.
There are plenty of books and maps showing free site but they are sign posted very well so it shouldn't be a problem just playing it by ear.
If your looking for free camping sites in France look for the "Aires de services en Camping Car" map book, it not only lists thousands of free (wild) campsites but also gives a map showing you where they are, its in french but you get to see them on the map and an address so you know what place name to put in the sat nav.
you can get one here: Atlas-routiers (http://atlas-routier.com/)
I've heard you can get a similar map for italy too but I haven't looked yet.
Go for it, Italy is fantastic and the people are lovely, you'll have a lovely time.
We certainly will.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS