PDA

View Full Version : Silver Thermal Screens

Justjack
06-11-2012, 12:47
Does anyone have for sale a set of External Silver Thermal Screens for a Hymer S630 ('A' class)? Thanks.

whitevanwoman
06-11-2012, 20:12
Justjack, if you don't find any but want a windscreen cover in a hurry, Aldi have got silver windscreen covers in for 1.99. You might need to get 2 and join them together for a large windscreen but better than nothing, and they can always be used inside during the summer to keep cool.

Justjack
07-11-2012, 07:28
Aldi have got silver windscreen covers in for 1.99.

Yes, I think I noticed you mentioned you had used this in one of your posts, and I did take note. I will pop in today and have a look, mind you, we have a very large windscreen! Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

whitevanwoman
07-11-2012, 09:23
Yes, you are right, but like I said, if Justjack wanted it in a hurry, for 1.99 it's better than nothing.

Justjack
07-11-2012, 12:29
Yes, you are right, but like I said, if Justjack wanted it in a hurry, for 1.99 it's better than nothing.

Popped into Aldi this morning to have a look, no good I'm afraid, too thin and small for our purpose, but great for internal use on smaller vans. As mentioned above, I think the best thing is to get some from Taylormade or continue to scour the second-hand sites. Thanks for all comments.

mariesnowgoose
07-11-2012, 12:34
They look like a good buy to me, JustJack, if they are in good condition.
Doesn't say if they are internal or external, but worth asking the seller?

I've had a quick look on google and new ones are minimum 200+

wattsy280
07-11-2012, 13:35
I would definately have a look at Taylormade, we inherited a thermal screen cover with our latest van but until today had'nt even had it out of the bag.

It's a Taylormade one and it fits like a glove, no flappy bits and seems super quality! Just taken a peek on their website and looks like the one we have is sold new for 120, thanks to Perthshire Caravans for throwing that in for free!!

Justjack
08-11-2012, 09:08
We rang Taylormade this morning for a price and were told they they no longer made screens for Hymers.

I considered those for sale on Preloved but after a bit of research I found some for 50 on Gumtree, rang the guy and they will be with us soon, sooooo pleased. After mentioning to the seller that Taylormade could not help us, he said that they had received a lot of complaints about the screens. People were not fitting them correctly on the side windows and water was getting in and they were they blaming Taylormade, so it appears they have knocked Hymers on the head.

Right, that's sorted, now onto some size 10 - 11 ski-boots.. . . . . . . .

mariesnowgoose
08-11-2012, 09:54
Right, that's sorted, now onto some size 10 - 11 ski-boots.. . . . . . . .

Glad you got your screens sorted and for a mere 50 squid, well done :)

Are you perchance taking your bus to somewhere cold for a bit of sledging? ;)

Justjack
08-11-2012, 16:25
Yes Marie (well one of us anyway, the sensible one is staying warm at home). The following is from my other posting:

My OH has decided to take off alone in the van for a few weeks ski-ing in the French Alps in January. I have decided that my ski-ing days are over and it's also not really suitable for the dog, so I am staying home, probably worrying myself sick!

We would like to know if anyone has experienced travelling in the mountains in Winter, we have only done it in late spring/summer and it can be pretty hairy even then. Any tips, especially any brilliantly clever ideas, would be much appreciated. We have been advised to use a milk crate instead of putting the step down, as it might freeze, keep the heating on low constantly, take a brush to keep the solar panels clear of snow, putting some carpet underlay over the windscreen beneath the blinds and snow chains of course. You can probably understand why I have opted to stay home, bake cakes, eat chocolate and swill wine.

My OH will probably be staying on Aires and ski resort car parks. He has just fitted a secondary leisure battery and was wondering about a dreaded generator (to be used only in desperation I hasten to add).

Please feel free to offer any advice or let us know of your experiences.

mark61
08-11-2012, 18:25
Worth checking up, but I'm sure it's a legal requirement to carry snow chains during winter in the Alps.
Agree, winter tyres or M+S rated tyres, without doubt should be fitted.

carol
11-11-2012, 11:54
Popped into Aldi this morning to have a look, no good I'm afraid, too thin and small for our purpose, but great for internal use on smaller vans. As mentioned above, I think the best thing is to get some from Taylormade or continue to scour the second-hand sites. Thanks for all comments.

If you come across any second hand for a VW T4 please let me know. I've been trawling for months!!

mark61
11-11-2012, 12:17
Why just the UK?

chass
11-11-2012, 13:04
I've been skiing many times in my motor home, not really had any problems been frozen up a couple of times, I tend to keep the heating on all the time so take plenty of gas or stay on sites for eh.

You will need snow chains in quite a few places it's a legal requirement.

I've never bothered with winter tyres as I find van tyres are sort of anyway.

Put additive in your fuel & keep your tank as full as possible to avoid condensation in the fuel.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS