PDA

View Full Version : fortwilliam

fattimmy
25-02-2005, 19:22
from fortwilliam go north on A 82 about 2miles on right hand side is road to ben nevis /nevis range loads of space in car par k.vans tend to park on right ideal for walking and mountain bikeing you dont evern have to push the bike up the mountain there is a lift so all you have to do is come down .good luck you will need it, its steep very steep :o

roifromnwales
19-03-2005, 21:17
One of the most fabulous views in the world.
Leave fort William on the A 82 towards Inverness and turn left at the lights signposted Corpach and the road to The Kyle of Lochalsh. Take the first right after the Bridge and wind your way up the road.. On the right there is a narrow entrance which takes you on to the loch side.. Parking is for 4 or 5 vehicles only. There is a much larger car park at the bottom Water is available there but ask the lock keepers first. It is a fire hose. It is likely that a better parking can be had at the lower car park near the Moorings Hotel as you turn right off the main road. There are trees to hide behind, but make sure you walk up the locks. At night the lock gates are lit so this is the best time.
But daytime you see the mountains.
The view is amazing. Down below the locks the end basin of Loch Linnhie with Fort William to the left shadowed by Ben Nevis, and others of the Grampian chain. The Great Glen stretches back along the canal.
Food is excellent in the Moorings and there are some great photos of the damage done to the locks by a boat that didn’t stop. You must stay for day so that you can watch some boats go through the 7 locks. There are many walking tours (8) and plenty of things to do. cheap meals at the Safeway café and the cheapest fuel in the area (probably since Glasgow) at the Safeway gge. If you need to use a campsite, the Glen Nevis is the best and is reasonable, at least it was when I used it, no extra charges for people and dogs and car parking like some.
There is a good swimming pool in Fort William. Or if you prefer there is a swimming hole along the river. Just follow the glen Nevis road and its on the left. The water comes off the mountains so it’s COLD

jackie
31-07-2005, 11:46
stopped at glen nevis camp site ,we needed to charge a few things up, it only cost £16 for 2 adults,1 child,dog & elec the shower block is one of the best we have used with free hair dryers & they sold avon skin so soft on site,we had a drink in the hotel bar on the night time & looked at the food menu(went back to our van & opened a tin of beans)it was mouth watering but quite expensive,followed the road to the right when we came out the following day(12.00)& saw some fantastic water falls.

Journeyman
09-07-2006, 14:15
Heading North on the A82 before getting into the centre of FW, take a right at the round-about and drive uphill through a housing complex until you reach a cattle grid. Keep driving and you will find a river with parking available either side near some pine trees.
You will need your anti midge remedies, however the stopover is well worth it!!!
PS
"stopped at glen nevis camp site ,we needed to charge a few things up, it only cost £16 for 2 adults,1 child,dog & elec the shower block is one of the best we have used with free hair dryers & they sold avon skin so soft on site,we had a drink in the hotel bar on the night time & looked at the food menu(went back to our van & opened a tin of beans)it was mouth watering but quite expensive,followed the road to the right when we came out the following day(12.00)& saw some fantastic water...."

Is this WILD CAMPING???

stevek
10-07-2006, 20:22
Journeyman, No its not wild camping but it doesnt do any harm to post official sites,as i see it beneficial to take information from all sources. I,ve tried it before on another post.Maybe there,s scope for a section for official camp sites,?????????????It might open up this site a bit more as it can be a bit quite at times.

Incidentally there are quite a few "wildcamping " sites in Glen Nevis below the camp site which I have previously posted.

mr grumpy
17-11-2007, 14:53
At the bottom of the flight of lochs, "Neptunes' Staircase" is a large cap park which we have used recently. No signs about overnight parking for MH's. Very handy for FW and the early morning Mallaig ferry.

sprokit
28-10-2009, 16:49
At the bottom of the flight of lochs, "Neptunes' Staircase" is a large cap park which we have used recently. No signs about overnight parking for MH's. Very handy for FW and the early morning Mallaig ferry.

sorry to disappoint you but the "no overnighting" sign has appeared in this car park (October 2009) - and letters at the top of the lock from some manager (presumably to do with the locks) saying "no overnighting for caravans or motorhomes".

alanval
10-08-2010, 22:46
Through the Fort on the Inverness rd take the left at the first roundabout for Inverlochy on the first right is the railway club .A wee word with Margaret ot Lusanne (bar stewards)and you can stay over in the car park...Nic small club friendly folk..

Val

johnandlou118
10-08-2010, 23:10
I like to head out of Fort William and head for Loch Arkaig very quiet with large laybys no signs and no problems ( Although did get eaten alive once by midges)
John

Happychick
21-08-2010, 07:44
The car park by Mooring Hotel at the bottom of Neptunes Staircase has a no overnight parking sign, as do most car parks in Scotland. A local taxi driver in a purple converted securicor style wagon told me that it isn't enforced, I wasn't convinced and found a huge gravel car park half way up the Glen Nevis Range road a mile out of town on the Skye road. It has a cow shed affair in it and when I arrived at 9pm, some men were working in it, but ignored me and I was ok. I went up to the Glen Nevis car park in the morning to check it out and there was a VW van that had obviously been there the night.

vwalan
22-08-2010, 16:06
hi happy chick. i see you met purple bob when in fort william. nice chap .we built his conversion on my garden here in cornwall. it was a prison truck. 6 cells . hope you had a good time . we all travel down to maroc in winter. are yo coming with us/ cheers alan.

Henrym
12-02-2011, 01:40
Glen Nevis (parking beyond camp site), Nevis ski area and the minor (but steep and narrow) road through the housing from the south roundabout of FW are all OK.

Alternatives:
North of Fort William, take Mallaig road to end of Loch Eil, turn south on A 861 towards Corran. There are open parking areas adjacent to the loch, e.g. near Garvan (Grid ref NM 985777). Alternatively, take the Corran ferry from the A82 south of FW, turn north and you will equally reach the parking areas.
Or keep on A82 north of FW to Torlundy, and take road on right to North Face car park (I forget the exact name, but it is one junction south of the turn to the ski area) at Grid ref NN 143 771. Cross railway bridge, then turn right. The track brings you to a large car park in a wooded area, with access to the Nevis north face. Grid ref NN 145764

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS