PDA

View Full Version : ski-ing meet glenshee

sundown
18-11-2007, 00:52
hey, does anyone fancy a ski-ing meet at glenshee sometime jan - feb.
could be a new slant on meetings. for ski-ers -great - for non ski-ers even better. best fun ski-ing is the first 2 weeks, head planting, crossed skis tumble, etc etc "great entertainment" checkout http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/ hope to hear from interested parties sundown

hillwalker
18-11-2007, 08:54
u need the white stuff to ski.. hee hee:D

Trevor
19-11-2007, 15:16
hey, does anyone fancy a ski-ing meet at glenshee sometime jan - feb.
could be a new slant on meetings. for ski-ers -great - for non ski-ers even better. best fun ski-ing is the first 2 weeks, head planting, crossed skis tumble, etc etc "great entertainment" checkout http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/ hope to hear from interested parties sundown

It look great sundown i bet its exspensive.

sundown
19-11-2007, 15:30
last time I ski-ed glenshee it was about 16 - 18 for a day ticket but thats a whole days ski-ing over three valleys (snow conditions allowing) then of course the hire of skis etc. then of course there's discount for pensioners they usually dont ask for proof . Its easy to look old ,just take your teeth out & ask them to repeat everything!!! But its a rewarding sport best
mid-week when its not busy

Trevor
19-11-2007, 15:48
last time I ski-ed glenshee it was about 16 - 18 for a day ticket but thats a whole days ski-ing over three valleys (snow conditions allowing) then of course the hire of skis etc. then of course there's discount for pensioners they usually dont ask for proof . Its easy to look old ,just take your teeth out & ask them to repeat everything!!! But its a rewarding sport best

Do you have your own ski's or do you hire, and my teeth dont come out, do yours and if they do did you loose them when you were sking.
Well i always wanted to go sking but never got round to it and i recon i am in no fit state to do it now.

sundown
19-11-2007, 16:18
hi, yes I own my own skis I used to ski in austria every year when I was young,fit & rich Now im old, stiff & skint I can only manage glenshee & yes my teeth do come out but at least they can go back in again not like my hair, it cant :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Trevor
19-11-2007, 17:32
hi, yes I own my own skis I used to ski in austria every year when I was young,fit & rich Now im old, stiff & skint I can only manage glenshee & yes my teeth do come out but at least they can go back in again not like my hair, it cant :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL sundown,
I bet you can still ski well seeing you have had some experience.
I alway tell the wife that she has nice white glittering teeth like the stars in the sky, as they always come out on a night time. :rolleyes::eek:;)

loubylou
19-11-2007, 19:57
we would love to go, I have never been skiing tho, the old man has, but I think Scotland would be a nice place to start. Where abouts in Scotland is Glenshee? We would have to go during half term, schools are funny about kids having time off, towards the end of feb. What do you think, would the snow still be around?

sundown
19-11-2007, 21:22
we would love to go, I have never been skiing tho, the old man has, but I think Scotland would be a nice place to start. Where abouts in Scotland is Glenshee? We would have to go during half term, schools are funny about kids having time off, towards the end of feb. What do you think, would the snow still be around?
hello, Glenshee is between blairgowrie & braemar, (great road for wildcamping)go to http://maps.google.co.uk and type glenshee in the search bar , it can be a great place for ski-ing but conditions can at times be sub-arctic. Judging from the last few years there's no accounting for when the snow comes, some years ,none at all. Jan -feb is usually best months. it would have to be arranged at short notice to be assured of good conditions
sundown

loubylou
20-11-2007, 09:15
I will keep that week free. And fingers crossed for snow.
Lou

irenerobbie
25-11-2007, 16:31
i will be there . great idea. i don,t ski dut i drink whiskey. keep us posted

Geoff.W
27-11-2007, 21:42
Sounds like a great idea. At the moment we plan to have a week off end Jan into Feb, but this is not cast in stone. There seems to be a bit of interest, has any body got any thoughts on where and when and would the idea be to have a bit of a social for the non skiers, I quite fancy a go but I doubt the wife would, and our 2 yr old is probably a bit young. A few more idea's about and I can start trying to talk the wife into it.

Regards Geoff.

sundown
27-11-2007, 22:03
Sounds like a great idea. At the moment we plan to have a week off end Jan into Feb, but this is not cast in stone. There seems to be a bit of interest, has any body got any thoughts on where and when and would the idea be to have a bit of a social for the non skiers, I quite fancy a go but I doubt the wife would, and our 2 yr old is probably a bit young. A few more idea's about and I can start trying to talk the wife into it.

Regards Geoff.

hey geoff,
I plan to travel up through glenshee to braemar & tomintoul in a week or so i'll be taking some photos en route and will post them on my return
many of the wives & kids & sledges have a great time at the bottom of the slopes while their men ski the summit we'll keep in touch & see what can be arranged :cool: :cool: sundown

Geoff.W
27-11-2007, 22:52
hey geoff,
I plan to travel up through glenshee to braemar & tomintoul in a week or so i'll be taking some photos en route and will post them on my return
many of the wives & kids & sledges have a great time at the bottom of the slopes while their men ski the summit we'll keep in touch & see what can be arranged :cool: :cool: sundown

Thanks for that, must be 15yrs since the one and only time we came back that way, if I remember right we did a runner from some very wet weather on the west coast and camped for a few nights at Braemar, tent in those days, and returned south via Glenshee, didn't see much as there was thick cloud above about 500ft. this should be a good excuse to have another look, hopefully we can get a few more interested and have a bit of a shindig.

Again many thanks and have a good trip Geoff.

sundown
27-11-2007, 23:25
Thanks for that, must be 15yrs since the one and only time we came back that way, if I remember right we did a runner from some very wet weather on the west coast and camped for a few nights at Braemar, tent in those days, and returned south via Glenshee, didn't see much as there was thick cloud above about 500ft. this should be a good excuse to have another look, hopefully we can get a few more interested and have a bit of a shindig.

Again many thanks and have a good trip Geoff.

if the visibility wasn't so good you probably missed the great spot just north of the glenshee ski centre "i'll post photos of this" by the "shielin by the burn" where you can see ,early mornings, the deer on the mountains sometimes they can come down quite close, if they're realy hungry.
In the cairngorms ive even hand fed them during very severe conditions when they're starving "poor things"
ps they dont like corned beef sandwiches!
:cool: :cool: sundown

teachertrish
31-12-2007, 17:38
hi all, if this run out to glenshee is a go-er,count us in too,we would like to get to know you lot and put the faces to the names..trish/andy.

sundown
31-12-2007, 18:10
hi, trish & andy
just have to keep our fingers crossed for weather & conditions maybe end Jan / Feb.
I see there's more people from scotland joining, can only be a good thing.
& a happy new year to you
sundown

tresrikay
10-01-2008, 09:00

You hav,nt seen my teeth!!! go to lunchspot Christmas day in photo,s! think they would give us a pass out of sympathy........... pardon.............. what did you say.............eh......speak up laddie!!!!

Geoff.W
10-01-2008, 12:14
hi, trish & andy
just have to keep our fingers crossed for weather & conditions maybe end Jan / Feb.
I see there's more people from scotland joining, can only be a good thing.
& a happy new year to you
sundown

Hi Nick. Still very intrested in coming up to see you all north of the border but it depends on when my Dad gets a date for his hip opp.

Provisional plans are to head up your area W'end 16/17th Feb (start of our lads half term) and then head over towards Avimore possibly on Wed/Thurs as we have been told that there is Husky racing on.

Sorry I can't be more definite yet untill we hear from the hospital, but if we do manage to come it would be great to meet up.

sundown
10-01-2008, 12:24
hi geoff
we,ll keep our fingers crossed.
they have the husky racing at aviemore every year.
if there's no snow they have wheels on the sleds
but when there is snow its magic!
whatever the circumstances, we'll have a meet when your up this way,
well keep in touch
sundown

loubylou
10-01-2008, 13:09
Hi Nick. Still very intrested in coming up to see you all north of the border but it depends on when my Dad gets a date for his hip opp.

Provisional plans are to head up your area W'end 16/17th Feb (start of our lads half term)

What a shame our half term is the week before. Hows Glenshee looking, any skiing weather?
Louby

sundown
10-01-2008, 13:20
hi, louby
glenshee is looking pretty good at the moment, about half the lifts are open so far, and its snowing just now.
if the snow keeps falling, they could have a good season
fingers crossed
sundown

loubylou
10-01-2008, 13:29
Sounds very promising, hope it holds out till 11th of Feb! I quite fancy that.
Regards
Lou

Geoff.W
15-01-2008, 15:01

Provisional plans are to head up your area W'end 16/17th Feb (start of our lads half term) and then head over towards Avimore possibly on Wed/Thurs as we have been told that there is Husky racing on.

Sorry I can't be more definite yet untill we hear from the hospital, but if we do manage to come it would be great to meet up.

SORRY. Just had date for Dad's pre opp medical for 30th Jan, so should be in for opp. within 2 weeks of that, so will be back home at the time we were coming up, so realy need to be there to help out.

Would have realy loved to come and see the snow with the kids, but will hopefully be able to arrange a trip a little later in the year, possibly Spring B'holiday week (end of May)

sundown
15-01-2008, 15:49
sorry to hear you wont be up this way geoff, I know you were all keen to see the dog sleigh race at aviemore,
but there's always next year for that.
if and when you do invade scotland, let us know and we could perhaps set up a meet

tell you dad all the best with his op and speedy recovery and all that !

sundown

lenny
15-01-2008, 19:07
Hi. Nick, Remind me of the date you had in mind for this meet.

Regards..Lenny

15-01-2008, 20:06
Sorry, but we cannot make it as too far for a weekend:eek:
Hope you all enjoy and don't break too many legs:rolleyes::D;)

sundown
15-01-2008, 20:13
Hi. Nick, Remind me of the date you had in mind for this meet.

Regards..Lenny
no date been decided for this lenny around end jan begining feb or whenever would suit if conditions keep improving maybe early feb.
sundown

irenerobbie
30-01-2008, 11:57
i've got my sledge polished, my super dooper duvet aired and my hip flask full. When are we doing it?

sundown
30-01-2008, 14:20
hi,
there's been some fairly good snow recently,
but the conditions aren't too good at the moment,
high winds have blown the snow off the hills.
the temperature just now though, is minus 1 or 2
I think we should get more snow early feb.
fingers crossed

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS