PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Mini download Google Earth POI

Talbot
02-01-2013, 21:47
Got an iPad Mini for xmas and I'm trying to add the POI database. I've read most of the threads on here but still struggling. This is a copy of instructions from a previous thread and I can't get beyond item 3) Now connect your device to iTunes. Does this mean connect my ipad mini to my laptop and drive itunes from the laptop? Sorry but I'm new to Apple devices and it's not fully clear what to do. Also, my ipad mini won't connect to my laptop as it came up with an error message. Any ideas how to try to reconnect? I've deinstalled itunes and reinstalled it but still no joy?

This is a little work around to get the POI database working with google earth on an iPhone or iPad.

1) Download Google Earth to your device.
2) Download a free app called "Map-o-meter" to your device.
3) Now connect your device to itunes
4) Click on your device in the left hand menu of itunes (under devices) to display it's information.
5) At the top of the main pane you should see "Summary Info Apps Music Movies TV Shows Books Photos" click on Apps.
6) Scroll down slightly until you come to "File Sharing" then on the left under "apps" click on "Map-o-meter".
7) At the bottom of the right pane "Map-o-meter" documents" click on "add".
8) Select the wildcamp.kml file from your downloaded POI file (wildcamping > Google Earth > wildcamp.kml)
9) Then once the file appears under "Map-o-meter" documents" click "apply" in the bottom right hand corner of itunes.

Your device is now setup and ready to use.
To open the file...

1) Open map-o-meter and click on the icon of a floppy disk in the bottom left hand corner.
2) Click on load file.
3) You should now see the Wildcamp.kml file, click on it and should give you the option to open it in google earth.

Enjoy...

DTDog
03-01-2013, 06:23
Yes, you will need to connect your iPad to ITunes. This is Apples way of controlling what goes on to their system and nothing to do with the POI's. if you're having problems with connecting to ITunes, have you tried using another computer with a known working version? I think you can register about five different Pc's using iTunes?

If that doesn't work take it back to Apple!

Coachman61
03-01-2013, 08:40
Am I missing something I can't find apps in the iTunes app anywhere,"HELP"

Talbot
03-01-2013, 12:29
Yes, you will need to connect your iPad to ITunes. This is Apples way of controlling what goes on to their system and nothing to do with the POI's. if you're having problems with connecting to ITunes, have you tried using another computer with a known working version? I think you can register about five different Pc's using iTunes?

If that doesn't work take it back to Apple!

Thanks for replying. The problem happened when I first linked the ipad mini to the laptop with the cable. Windows 7 said it was looking for the driver software and came back with an error message that said it had failed to configure the driver. I think this was because the version of itunes was not current. So I have uninstalled itunes, Apple Mobile Device Support (AMDS) and all other apple software. I then reinstalled a new version of itunes which automatically loads AMDS. I then tried to reconnect the ipad mini but windows 7 fails to recognise it.

I'm sure this is something to do with the driver. Does anyone know of a way to make or reset windows 7 so it is able to reload the driver for the ipad?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS