PDA

View Full Version : Closing blinds in winter

amandadarren
11-01-2013, 21:40
Hi after a bit of advice could anyone please tell me if its ok to leave the corrugated blinds on my motorhome shut over winter many thanks :)

shortcircuit
11-01-2013, 21:42
What do you think is going to happen?

amandadarren
11-01-2013, 21:49
Was told by previous owner not to leave them shut over winter as they will loose their corrugation (she owns a blind company) but all advice on motorhome forums say close them

n brown
11-01-2013, 21:50
eh??? Sad Trombone (http://www.sadtrombone.com/)

barryd
11-01-2013, 22:00
Ours are rollers so I always leave them open so the springs dont go. Mrs D likes them shut for some reason, especially if its parked out front and not on the drive as she thinks people will look in the van (nosy neighbours?) which is strange as she nearly always has them open when shes in it. Even asleep!

Cliffy
11-01-2013, 22:08
Shut ours from October to March whilst in storage, van is 8 years old, no problems. :camper:

ivecotrucker
11-01-2013, 22:15
I open them, She shuts them - it's a constant battle, just like the Vicar said married life would be. In my experience it does weaken the springs (roller return type).

Smaug
11-01-2013, 22:18
I have fly screens & roller blinds (plus double glazing) blinds are shut in cold weather to reduce heat loss. The springs on the blinds are so strong I need the fly screens fastened to them so the two springs help balance each other out.

Blinds drawn also reduces condensation & sunlight fading the upholstery.

amandadarren
11-01-2013, 22:19
They are pull up and pull down if that helps not roller type and thanks for your replies :)

yorkslass
12-01-2013, 22:43
i regularly open and close mine{ once a week} as i read thet the springs can stick,donT know if it"s true,then keep them shut the rest of the time to prevent the upholstery from fading.:wave:

Bulawayo Lass
13-01-2013, 07:43
I did close them last 2 years but this year leaving them open. From what l can see so far it makes no difference. I know when we are in during winter then huge amount of condensation builds up on the windows and so l try to keep an eye then so they dont get soaked and have a problem although l may be worrying without reason.
Caro

silverweed
13-01-2013, 10:02
Last van I had had roller blinds and always kept them closed. The springs were so strong they could take your hand off if you weren't careful. I feel keeping them closed stops condensation and fading but I open the van and leave door open on bright days to keep it dry. The van I now have is a Hymer with pleated blinds and will have to wait and see if problems arise from keeping them closed

Bulawayo Lass
13-01-2013, 10:14
Just realised l didnt clarify l have the folding down pull up concertina blinds

chubadub
13-01-2013, 11:14
I leave my South facing blinds open in winter to benefit from ANY winter sun/heat.:cool:

amandadarren
13-01-2013, 11:28
Ours are the concertina ones too

MATS
13-01-2013, 11:55
Temp down to -3 last night in betws y coed - all screens up, every curtain closed, thermal screen inside up as well - truma on no 2-3 heating just right!!! White outside this morning but no snow. Love winter camping

spigot
14-01-2013, 10:27
Blinds drawn also reduces condensation & sunlight fading the upholstery.

Sunlight??? What Sunlight???

Harmergeddon
14-01-2013, 10:49
The springs in one of my windows died last year just after i came back from the alps in the winter. I had been parked up in temps down to -20 and i suspect this is what killed the springs. Now i can't easily get that blind down which is a real arse.

witzend
17-01-2013, 21:48
What about external screens No condensation and Better for Heat retention Mine are on while van not in use and nearly always when away with van only miss if raining hard when we stop

Beemer
17-01-2013, 22:46
I pick up my 2004 A class m/home next week and it has a plastic 'shutter' type electric blind on the (inside) front screen. It seems more solid than the usual blinds, and I wondered if that would mean it might work better at reducing condensation.
I suppose I will find out when I stay overnight in it on Monday!:idea:

Smaug
18-01-2013, 19:24
What about external screens No condensation and Better for Heat retention Mine are on while van not in use and nearly always when away with van only miss if raining hard when we stop

Rather than leave very expensive external screens on all winter, I put a double layer of recycled bubble wrap on. My pricey screen cover stays safe & clean in it's bag in the overcab bunk.

You need to tuck a triangle of it in to trap between the door & the screen to get the shape right, but it works great, eliminates condensation & keeps ice & snow off as well as allowing some daylight into the van for when checking it over or storing/ finding stuff. It also reduces sunlight degradation to seat fabrics & dash plastic.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS