PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Passes & Wildcamping

snookcycling
14-01-2013, 10:32
Just wondering if anybody has experience of wildcamping on the Swiss passes - ive noticed some pictures and talk of nice spots on the Sustenpass and St Gotthard Pass, how about Furka pass and Grimselpass?

Hoping to head out to that general area this summer, and spend a good few nights wilding to save some money for a few nights on sites (that look quite expensive).

Reading around it seems that wilding is generally accepted in Switzerland, much like it is in France. Would you agree?

Thanks in advance

dave and mary
14-01-2013, 11:12
We were in Switzerland last year, got the impression wild camping was not the done thing there. Yes sites we used were quite expensive but they were of a very high standard. we did stay a few nights on the motorway services,and there was water and wc emptying points. It is a lovely country to visit and we found the people lovely and so many spoke English, we will be back. :drive::drive:10837

landydriver
14-01-2013, 18:20

GRWXJR
15-01-2013, 09:46
I been through Switzerland twice on my motorcycle en route to somewhere else (early September both times - early enough to still be warm & for Summer places to still be open before closing, late enough for the main holiday-makers with children to have gone home making things less busy) . This was 2010, and again in 2011.

I somehow managed to find a heck of a lot of 50 & 60 kph limits and built-up areas wherever I went - endless concrete all over the place around Lausanne for example. Strangely found that often it was scruffier than places in neighbouring countries, when I had this mental image of everything being immaculate and with propser. We stayed in the worst place by miles throughout the trip, and paid by far the most for the priveledge too.

Switzerland seemed to be EXPENSIVE! For everything. I guess I missed some of the better parts, but overall I have the impression that Switzerland had anything that wasn't as good or better available for less money over its borders.

To be honest, I much preferred it just across the border in Northern Italy. From memory last time we rode through Livigno, then out over the Fluella pass, then made our way across some fantastic passes and scenery on our way to Grossglockner, Austria (furthest we got was to Lake Bled, Slovenia). The whole Italian Alpine area we rode through we found to be terrific - people, places, scenery - the lot. It was like it managed to combine the best of all the local cultures in one beautiful place. That area has got to be my favourite of any place I've been to so far.

Didn't camp (wild or otherwise though) so afraid I can't help at all there! I can't see anyone visiting the Italian Alpine region though and not loving the place.

If heading down that way, the Vosges region of France is well worth taking in en route too IMO, and of course the Col d'Iseran (D902) from France into Italy is fantastic (on a motorcycle anyway, though the scenery is fantastic regardless of the transport).

GeoffB
15-01-2013, 12:21
Right at the top of the Grimsel Pass, on the left as you come from the Rhone valley and before you get to any buildings, is a small area by the lake for camper-vans only, no caravans or tents. It's wild but not free, not expensive at all; a sign told how much but we can't recall the exact figure. It had absolutely no facilities but epic views. We had a look and there seemed to be space for about half a dozen vehicles; were very tempted but didn't stop as it was too early in the day and ended up in a very expensive campsite well down the valley to the North. Wish we'd stayed! There is a good cafe near a large parking area at the top, not far from the campsite; try the 'Grimsel coffee', with a shot of something alcoholic and tasty.

In this pic the 'wild' campsite is roughly under the pylon at the end of the lake by the buildings. Our van is on the left. 10887

In general, wild camping is not encouraged in Switzerland. We managed it once in a very empty ski-lift car park but kept on expecting to be moved on. We agree it was expensive and nearby countries are a better bet. The food is not as interesting as in those countries (great if you like cheese with everything and we mean everything!) the drink boring and people still smoke like chimneys in bars and restaurants. Wouldn't rush to go back.

snookcycling
15-01-2013, 20:17
Thanks for your replies - quite a lot of negative ones which i will be in mind.

Trying to come up with a trip going from Calais to Brienz area (with all those passes around) and then up to Germany and back across. Probably do it over 14-16 days, so could look to wild camp in France and Germany for a couple of nights each, which would save some euros towards a Swiss campsite for 5 or 6 nights.

So if anybody knows any wild spots/nice aires half way between Calais and Brienz and up into Germany it could be useful.

landydriver
15-01-2013, 21:05

barryd
16-01-2013, 08:52
Switzerland is stunning but we have never found any good wild spots. Best bet is an acsi card as long as you go when it's valid otherwise sites can be pricey.

Horbach
04-04-2013, 14:51
I would second all the negative comments about the country i live in.

In general, wildcampers are not welcome and since it is so crowded there are not much spots left. I know some, but i also spent many hours of driving around desperately looking for a nice overnight spot. Too many driving-ban signs and almost no places where you can't be spotted from the next farmhouse. On Passes there are mostly some areas for camping though.

That's why i always travel abroad and the freedom usually starts just after crossing the border. Looking forward for a 30-Day roadtrip to UK this July!

If somebody is interested to find a spot in a certain area of Switzerland, feel free to contact me. I might give some advice.

Resetjejen
19-08-2013, 19:38
I stopped at this spot halfway between Calais and Baden-Baden not long ago:
The small town of Bitche, on the Maginot defence line, road D662, has a lake nearby. It has two parkings. The one furthest away have parking space so you can view the lake. There is a small restaurant. The lake is clean enough for a swim. Follow the signs saying "Village de vacance" from Bitche town.
In the town itself there is a camper stop by the fortress, with emptying and filling services.
:)

Thanks for your replies - quite a lot of negative ones which i will be in mind.

Trying to come up with a trip going from Calais to Brienz area (with all those passes around) and then up to Germany and back across. Probably do it over 14-16 days, so could look to wild camp in France and Germany for a couple of nights each, which would save some euros towards a Swiss campsite for 5 or 6 nights.

So if anybody knows any wild spots/nice aires half way between Calais and Brienz and up into Germany it could be useful.

Resetjejen
19-08-2013, 19:48
We stopped here, right on the top, near the souvenir stalls before starting the down-hill towards Italy.
The weather was horrid - hail, storm and rain, but we had a good night in the camper. No other campers were there and no one objected. It was in July 2012. In the morning we bought postcards with pictures of St. Bernard and his dogs.

In Saint-Cergue (when crossing the border from France, at La Cure), there is a large parking without any signes. You then have a nice trip with pretty views down to the lake. In Nyon you can stay for free at the swimming pool (Piscine).

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS