PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for our 6 month trip so advice please

Teene
14-01-2013, 17:49
Hi Everyone
We're counting the weeks now as we're planning on starting our month trip as far as Turkey via Italy, Greece then back through Bulgaria, Romania and Poland (or we may do it the other way or go via Slovenia) oh it's going to be fantastic being retired lol.

So my questions are

1/ What loadable card/cheques do you reccomend? (I have a Nationwide select card but don't like credit and prefer to pay as I go)

2/ Where should we avoid, and why?

3/ Has anyone found any maps for any of these countries that have campsites on (we'll be wilding as much as pos but sometimes we'll need to use sites for various reasons

4/ Does anyone carry an additional fridge and how do you keep the temp cold enough through the summer (up to 50 in Turkey we've been told)

Thanks Teene

NedZig
14-01-2013, 18:25
we made a similar trip for 2011/2012, ending up in Iran/Iraq before returning. You will have a wonderful and safe journey, will meet lots of great local people and discover parts of Europe most will never see.

In answer to your specific questions:
1. Loadable Card? - Caxton FX, get both Euro, for Euros, and World GBP for non Euros, no cost withdrawals and good exchange rates. Excellent customer service.

2. Avoid? - we travelled extensively, in both 'safe' and FO 'avoid' areas, wild camped everywhere and never felt threatened, always welcome, never threatened. I would avoid remote car parks in larger cities, especially the suburbs. Its the only place you will be and feel a little vulnerable.

3. Maps? - Most European maps have campsites marked, alternatively try the first tourist information in each country, they tend to have maps galore of the larger sites. Alternatively, Lonely Planet has some info about camsite in Turkey.

4. Extra fridge? - No. Carry small Ice Packs and shop at markets for fresh foods daily. Run the 12v while driving, ice packs in the freezer, switch off when stopping, on with the gas and ice packs in the main fridge compartment. Best way by far.

Other things. Sleeping in 40c and high humidity can be difficult. When in these circumstances, allow an hour to drive above 1200m for a good nights sleep. Do travel East in Turkey, Cappadocia, Eastern Anatolia, Erzurum, Sanliurfa (for Gobekli Tep), The Hatay, Lake Van, Ani, Kars. This is moving closer to the middle east history, mentality and hospitality. I reccomend the Lonely Planet for this. You'll have a wonderful trip.

Teene
14-01-2013, 18:35
Hey that was quick NedZig, thank you. Certainly wouldn't have thought of putting ice packs in the fridge to keep it cooler. Lots of good advice there so I'll be exploring Lonely Planet right now.

We can't wait as we've never been more than 3.5 weeks out in one go, talk about wishing our life away haha. x

rottiontour
14-01-2013, 20:05
Maps with campsites on it.....
Campsites in Europe (http://en.camping.info/campsites)

ian81
14-01-2013, 20:47
..look at the magbaz.com site -plenty of useful information. We have been researching Poland / Slovakia and Ukraine. The former two countries do not have afaik much published info re wild spots but the general view seems to be that they are incredibly wild friendly -almost anywhere.

rottiontour
16-01-2013, 16:13
may be you know already...
ACSI Eurocampings - 9800 by ACSI inspected camp sites in Europe! (http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/)

this is relatively precise and good for a "turn-around".

Teene
16-01-2013, 16:34
Thanks, Rotiontour, we're looking at that right now :)

I'm wishing my life away here but this is what we've worked all our life for:camper:

barryd
16-01-2013, 17:07
Sounds a great.trip. We did six months last summer but only as far as Slovenia.

This year I got a Halifax clarity credit card and reward current account. The current account pays the card off each month so there are no charges except a small amount for cash withdrawals. So I tend to pay for all goods on the card. The exchange rate is the current commercial bank rate. I don't think it there is anything better.

Good tip on the ice in the fridge as they do struggle over 30c.

izzytoo
19-01-2013, 17:02
Hi guys
I love in Bulgaria, one of my Bulgarian Friends told me years ago NOT to use ATM's that are not in Banks, i.e. corner shops etc, as they can easily install a cover over them and scam your money and pin.
I have followed this on all our trips in Europe. To date I have never had a problem with my bank. :wave:
Izzytoo

Teene
19-01-2013, 21:12
Hi guys
I love in Bulgaria, one of my Bulgarian Friends told me years ago NOT to use ATM's that are not in Banks, i.e. corner shops etc, as they can easily install a cover over them and scam your money and pin.
I have followed this on all our trips in Europe. To date I have never had a problem with my bank. :wave:
Izzytoo
Sounds like very good advice izzytoo, thank you

barnybg
28-03-2013, 14:34
Hi,glad there's more taking the trip,as i see many a Belgium/German motorhome in these parts,but very rarely Brit ones,as for Bulgaria it's safe,as long as you are aware like any other country while travelling,even the UK !
There are many campsites in Bulgaria,some are Brit run and owned,i am in the process of opening one myself :) still have things to do,like a swimming pool and finish off the 'appartment' in house.although i do have a 2 berth caravan to offer and several family size tents,and of course a safe place to freshen up or indeed ' leave your motorhome' if you wished,even for months at a time,as i live on site (I'm Welsh and been living here 5 years)
I live near the Turkish border now,15 minutes away and the Greek border approx an hour or less,near ELHOVO/Topolograd,theres another Brit campsite at HARMANLI and another at Veliko Turnavo,but there are more ,also Bulgarian camping,especially along the coast ,SOZOPOL is a nice place to visit.
For Turkey have a 10 note,otherwise it will be 15 euro's for your visa,also Insurance,dont forget a vignette/road tax for certain countries,Bulgaria for one (Austria/Hungary)You will find BULGARIA very cheap and would advise anyone coming to think about having an LPG set up done here,its a fraction of the cost new and fitted (passport booklet with it) then even cheaper motoring,had one fitted on my motorhome 5 years ago,for a pricely some of 180 new and fitted.with dash 'flick over' and have never had any problems :) I would also think about having a solar panel fitted before travelling Europe,worth its weight in gold,100 w with 2 leasure batteries should do you,more the better,this gives you complete freedom,not needing campsites,water can be had anywhere in BG,they have fresh water by roadsides and villages,as for toilets NO ! and if you do find one,its basic,stand over concrete hole,unless in a city or coast,country wise its like France 30 years ago or UK 70 years ago,many new motorways and major roads,although you will find the odd km with potholes or bumpy tarmac,especially 'off the beaton track',there are stunning views to be had,especially the Rhadopi mountain range which borders Greece,many high hidden lakes and wide open countryside,as for towns,some look a bit 'grotty ' on the outskirts,but well worth driving into and parking,most have pedestrain walk ways and parks,and most sit outside at bars and cafe's.
What i have seen of Turkey,is a different World also ,if you keep away from the 'tourist areas' and go wild,people are friendly and inviting,if you have chance check out TROY and that coast,i could go on and on............................

Teene
28-03-2013, 15:00
We're really getting close now Barny so all this is firing us up :) and lots of useful info here from you as always, thanks. We're starting to think 6 months isn't going to be long enough lol.
We love walking and the sound of the lakes up in the mountains is what we'll be looking for, did one in Poland last year and it was amazing. Makes the ones in the Lake District in UK look like pimples (though we love all the areas of GB including your neck of the woods.
On Monday we can finally say "we're going this month" :drive: Only 32 more sleeps :wave:
Don't worry about going on and on, we welcome every bit xx

jennyp19
01-04-2013, 14:39
this is a really good blog. They have been travelling for over a year around Europe & have loads of tips etc re their travels. Well worth a read & subscibing to daily updates. http://ourtour.co.uk/home/ You can just look up the country you are planning on travelling on the side

Teene
01-04-2013, 14:47
Hi Jenny, where is the link please, sounds ideal.

jennyp19
02-04-2013, 11:39
Its in the post, but here it is again The links for various parts of their tour are at the top of their page.

Our Tour | Touring Europe by Motorhome (http://ourtour.co.uk/home/)

Teene
02-04-2013, 11:53
Its in the post, but here it is again The links for various parts of their tour are at the top of their page.

Our Tour | Touring Europe by Motorhome (http://ourtour.co.uk/home/)
Der, sorry, me being an idiot. I'll look now. Thanks for replying x

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS