PDA

View Full Version : For sale.

splitty67
15-01-2013, 11:36
Hi all,up for sale is our self-built '93 Transit camper. We bought it nearly two years ago after trying unsuccessfuly to find one with a high roof (I'm six foot)they were just asking stupid money for things that needed too much work. Anyhow,we found this one,an ex-15 seat minibus with 78,000 miles on the clock and decided to settle for one without the extra height,after all,we'd owned a '67 split-screen VW Devon for 14 years and loved every minute of it. The first thing I did was to strip it out completely and check if it needed any welding,the only place that did was the rear wheel arches,all too common on Trannies. That was done then I had it steam-cleaned and waxoyled,the chap that did it commented that it was the best example of a Transit he'd ever seen,the same sentiments were echoed at the MOT test by the examiner. I did the conversion over six weeks using mainly timber and MDF,I would never go within a hundred miles of chipboard,absolute bloody rubbish made from sawdust and glue which when damp or wet,swells up and falls to bits. I built in a two-burner hob with a grill,an oven,a sink with electric pump,LED lights,secondary battery under the bonnet with a split-charger,and it all works very well. The seats convert in seconds into a double bed with memory foam cushions and it,s very comfortable. There isn't a water heater as it's a bit beyond my expertise,but hey,who cares,this is wildcamping not the Ritz hotel. But the real twist is,I've recently had a woodburning stove fitted so that we can get away anytime,whatever the weather,and it doubles up as a cooker too. We've used it three times so far and have to say it's the best thing ever! If you feed it last thing at night and chuck a bit of smokeless coal on as well,then turn the damper down,it stays in all night and the van's as warm as toast. Then in the morning,open the door,put some fuel in and watch it roar,and in minutes you're enjoying your bacon and egg on toast and a cup of tea,it's simply wonderful! The reason it's for sale is we've just managed to find a high top Transit camper and bought it to do the same thing all over again,but this time we've got the extra height. I'm looking for offers of around 2,000 for the van if anyone's interested,will upload some photos when I can get out,we,re both suffering from a chest infection at the moment.

splitty67
15-01-2013, 11:56
10881108801088210883108841088510886 Not sure if I've done this correctly,these were taken for the DVLA to register as a motorcaravan,will post updated photos ASAP.

MORGANTHEMOON
15-01-2013, 11:59
Fair play splitty you've done a cracking job on that and it looks great value for money.

mariesnowgoose
15-01-2013, 11:59
Aw, Splitty! How can you bear to part?! :(

I can say that it's a lovely van for anyone who is interested, and the woodburner makes it really special :)

Good luck with you new transit, sounds like you've got your work cut out for the next few months ;)

PS for the money it's an absolute out and out bargain!

ellisboy
15-01-2013, 13:44
Nice van! And good luck with your new build.

lotusanne
15-01-2013, 17:46
Hi Splitty - just wondering... couldn't you just fit a high top to original van?:dance:

splitty67
15-01-2013, 18:21
Hi Anne,you make a valid point,in fact about eighteen months ago I tried cutting a high top off one at a local breaker's yard and managed to get about three quarters of the way round when it started to split,and try as I might I just couldn't finish the job,after almost three hours I finally admitted defeat. You've now got me thinking about it again though,in fact with a bit of planning and remodelling it could probably be done,so thanks for suggesting this,I'll definitely consider it. This site is SO helpful,I'm really glad we found you guys,thanks again.

lotty
15-01-2013, 21:49
Hi Anne,you make a valid point,in fact about eighteen months ago I tried cutting a high top off one at a local breaker's yard and managed to get about three quarters of the way round when it started to split,and try as I might I just couldn't finish the job,after almost three hours I finally admitted defeat. You've now got me thinking about it again though,in fact with a bit of planning and remodelling it could probably be done,so thanks for suggesting this,I'll definitely consider it. This site is SO helpful,I'm really glad we found you guys,thanks again.

Splitty, speak to Tracey (tclarkie) She had a transit van which she converted and put a high top on. She should be able to tell you how she managed it?
Good luck

lotusanne
15-01-2013, 22:42

Years ago we converted a few vws and put hi-tops on (when I see "we" you will realise of course that i was the design advisory board, and ex did all the hard work!!) ... maybe its easier with a new one as it wont split as easily? If you like the current van (and its lovely) and dont have other reasons to get a different van, such as wanting a different layout, it could work out a lot cheaper and a lot less wotk to get one fitted. Lets see what others say?

:banana:

mikey2341
05-02-2013, 19:59
Hi,

Is the van still for sale? does it have any tax / MOT? do you have any pictures of the wood burner?

Thanks

Mikey

Apache208D
05-02-2013, 21:19

Hi ya, we started to cut a high top off at a breakers yard a couple of years ago, like you it started to split, then the bloke at the yard moved us on to another high top and told us to cut the sides then front and back leaving about 10 - 12 inches around each corner to maintain some stability. Then cut diagonal corners and support them when cutting the final corners. Took us about less than 3 hours in total, but, it came off with no cracks or splits. Hope this might help.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS