PDA

View Full Version : funny scam

sundown
01-12-2007, 11:19
hi, all
I had to laugh this morning when I recieved this scam email
below is a copy of part of it

Your name appeared among the beneficiaries who will receive a part-payment of US $21.5 million and has been approved already for months.
You are requested to get back to me for more direction and instruction on how to receive your fund.
However, we received an email from one Dr. Robert Water who told us that he is your next of kin and that you died
in a car accident last week.

He has also submitted his account for us to transfer the fund to
him.We want to hear from you before we can make the transfer
to confirm if you are dead or not

Now who would fall for that?

Ps. my answer should read ; dear sir this is to confirm that, yes I did indeed
die in a car accident last week and I do approve the transfer of said funds to dr. Water

:cool: :cool: sundown

Firefox
27-02-2008, 01:48
You'd be surprised. Thousands of people fall for these. It's a big cottage industry in Nigeria and West Africa. I suppose the point of this one is that initial contact will be made by an indignant person informing that they are not dead. Any crazy story so long as they can get you to reply!

For those that don't know how it works, it's known as a 419 advance fee scam. Once they get you chatting they will ask for a small amount of cash to help with the money transfer fees like £10.00. If you pay that, they will ask for a bigger sum like £50 to help with lawyers fees or government transfer tax. Any excuse. Of course the big money never gets transferred to you and all the while they ask for larger and larger advance fees.

Many people have invested £1000's in the hope of obtaining the millions dangled in front of them. Some are quite sophisticated. Many will fax or email the victim official looking papers with the transfer docs and the victims name and address all filled in, ready to receive the millions.

From the net:

The ‘419’ scam is reportedly Nigeria’s third largest revenue raiser after oil and cocoa.
Individual stories of woe include a German woman who lost $350,000 and then
proceeded to Nigeria to recover her money, only to discover that scamming was an
entire industry that employed many thousands of people for all walks of life, many of
them highly educated.
The arrest of twelve Nigerian men in Holland for ‘419’
offences came only after they had reportedly scammed over $2 million, mostly from
Americans.
Globally the profits from the Nigerian scam have been estimated at
around $5bn between 1989-1999.

baloothebear
27-02-2008, 07:26
If you fancy a bit of fun there is http://www.419eater.com/ but I would suggest using a floating IP address. Some of these people have had a humour bypass :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS