PDA

View Full Version : Whats your definition of wildcamping

freedom6
20-01-2013, 14:12
Ive been thinking about this and I think to me its any from of parking up anywhere where your not paying campsite fee's I am probs totally wrong, When I say that I mean areas other than urban.

Wildcamping- anywhere off paid sites without fee's with nice views in country type setting's in general.

Stealth camping (in a van what looks like a normal commericial van)- anywhere off paid sites down street's, roads, where people may live, car parks, etc.

Then: Paid sites
CL- CL is Certificated Location
CS- certifiacted site norm only up to 5 vans

Thats how I see it, just wondering how others do, I am still very much a newbie so I still have lots to learn, just in the process of converting my small Nissan vanette, I know its not that big but ive got to start somewhere :)

rockape
20-01-2013, 14:21
Ask any squaddie,,,,,, Its going for a shovel recce

rockape
20-01-2013, 14:24
Ive been thinking about this and I think to me its any from of parking up anywhere where your not paying campsite fee's I am probs totally wrong, When I say that I mean areas other than urban.

Wildcamping- anywhere off paid sites without fee's with nice views in country type setting's in general.

Stealth camping (in a van what looks like a normal commericial van)- anywhere off paid sites down street's, roads, where people may live, car parks, etc.

Then: Paid sites
CL- CL is Certificated Location
CS- certifiacted site norm only up to 5 vans

Thats how I see it, just wondering how others do, I am still very much a newbie so I still have lots to learn, just in the process of converting my small Nissan vanette, I know its not that big but ive got to start somewhere :)Good look with your project, i can only envy your enevitable success

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 15:00
its not the fact that campsites are getting your money..... its the fact you want to park where you want (within reason) the more scenic the better...... as long as your not getting anybodys knickers in a twist... all i want to do is exercise my right to live peacefully, no harm in that now is there smiley face

Makzine
20-01-2013, 15:33
As Gaz2676 says its where I want to park not where i'm told to park. As long as your not upseting anyone or outstaying your welcome and the views are better than from a compound :drive: :wave:

freedom6
20-01-2013, 15:38
yeah I see what ya mean now.

DRoader
20-01-2013, 15:56
It's an interesting question. For some people it's all about camping under canvas up in the moors and hills. For people who are lucky enough to have some kind of campervan/motorhome it's about overnighting off site.

sparrks
20-01-2013, 16:07
Partly the more basic or simple the wilder it becomes. Parked up in the middle of nowhere in an eight meter motor home with every conceivable mod con is not wild camping, it's not even camping. Although it must be fun.

loulou
20-01-2013, 16:12
Thank you ,and here's your c and c membership card back. Now follow me around the site , to a pitch that I have decided that you will be staying on ( it doesn't really matter if you like it or not !! It's not your choice) . Yes the cc club let's you choose your pitch but you still feel like you should be grateful somehow. Some of the wardens are really nice, but a lot of them seem to come from another warden life, be it trafific /park-keeper etc

Totally agree with you, we sent our cards back last year.

DRoader
20-01-2013, 16:30
Partly the more basic or simple the wilder it becomes. Parked up in the middle of nowhere in an eight meter motor home with every conceivable mod con is not wild camping, it's not even camping. Although it must be fun.

Maybe waking up intact, safe secure and ready to move on if you need to is what it's all about?

77W
20-01-2013, 16:40
I suppose thinking about it , it comes down to if I have been given permission to stay there or not, ie landlord in a pub letting me stay in his car park or farmer letting me park up next to a barn for the night then it's not quite wild camping as opposed to pulling up in a layby or sleeping in an industial estate.or at a nice remote scenic spot etc

So for me I guess it's more about being given permission rather than the place it'self or the aminaties that may or may not be avaliable.

Makzine
20-01-2013, 16:52
Thank you ,and here's your c and c membership card back. Now follow me around the site , to a pitch that I have decided that you will be staying on ( it doesn't really matter if you like it or not !! It's not your choice) . Yes the cc club let's you choose your pitch but you still feel like you should be grateful somehow. Some of the wardens are really nice, but a lot of them seem to come from another warden life, be it trafific /park-keeper etc

Ha, ha :lol-053: never been a member anyway, I just don't like being told what to do.

MORGANTHEMOON
20-01-2013, 16:55
Mines due to run out soon . I was going to keep my c and c one ( the friendlier one in my opinion) for emergencies . However I could still pay full whack ( ouch!! ) out of my £40 saving . The trouble I love delamere forest ( c and c) along with Clumber park (cc, it's been 2yrs) and with all forests, it's that bit harder to wild ( more wardens !!! Lol)

Yes I've cancelled my DD to the Caravan club but will keep CC Club.

freedom6
20-01-2013, 16:59
Thanks for all the point of views so far, I guess it mainly comes down to your own personal views, beliefs.

I have one question tho if i wark in a CS for up to 5 Vans do they accept small campers like my one when its finished as i will have

electric hook up and that or is it mainly caravans they like to have? Wont my Lill nissan vanette cargo conversion look out of place?

77W
20-01-2013, 17:00
Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission !! Lol

True enough but to be honest if I thought I would need to actually ask somone then I would but the sort of places I tend to choose are normaly public areas like the track at Stonehenge or an industrial estate or if i'm struggling then a layby ( one without no overnight camping signs ) :D

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 17:19
think theres too much emphasis on the word wild .....do what ya want where an when ya want....and the main thing is youve got to enjoy it never mind whos got what and its bigger an newer than mine ....just piss with the cock youve got an youll get on fine

Stanski
20-01-2013, 17:35
... it comes down to if I have been given permission to stay there or not, ...

The original question is also one I have agonised over. Perhaps the term "Wildcamping" is incorrectly used. Is not camping the act of using a tent, whilst in a vehicle it is the act of Vanning or Homing using a Motorhome. The Caravan word cannot surely be used!

May I suggest that the term "Wild" should only apply to the act of stopping in a location with no secondary support such as EHU/Water and the area is not socially domesticated. Examples are: Farmers Field, Edge of a Moor, Gateway to a field.
The Pub Car Park is not "Wild" as it is a social area for the gathering of vehicles so should only be considered as "Honest Vanning/Motorhoming"

Why I title the message this way is to perhaps offer another discussion.
The term "Stealth" suggests not to be identified, so the act of parking at the side of the road in any suburb, makes sense to me - but if found (caught) could be construed as Dishonest Vanning.

Honest Camping - Is this not what Wildcamping is? You just want to stop and take shelter using your own belongings without imposing or damaging the locality. Dishonest camping is when the surroundings are harmed or blighted by your presence.

In response to another comment offered - Does it matter what type of vehicle you have to do these activities Well yes to a degree I think - A bit difficult to hide "Stealthily" with a large brightly painted 3 axle machine, but if you wished to "Wild" in it you could.

Perhaps we could ask QI to investigate.

just jane
20-01-2013, 17:36
Mines due to run out soon . I was going to keep my c and c one ( the friendlier one in my opinion) for emergencies . However I could still pay full whack ( ouch!! ) out of my £40 saving . The trouble I love delamere forest ( c and c) along with Clumber park (cc, it's been 2yrs) and with all forests, it's that bit harder to wild ( more wardens !!! Lol)

What is the legality of parking up here 53.2417, -2.68097 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.2417,+-2.68097&hl=en&ll=53.238972,-2.699547&spn=0.014126,0.042272&sll=53.239225,-2.687876&sspn=0.000883,0.002642&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.238984,-2.6993&panoid=QLjkPJWFkVIDNmm1g8t6TA&cbp=12,300,,0,0) in Delamere? Ive never tried it but I live very near and it would make a great overnight without having to go far.

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 17:39
i would not personally too close to road dont like the look of that barrier

n brown
20-01-2013, 17:41
i don't know what 'wild' camping is,but still believe it to be a translation from french 'camping sauvage' which means 'not in a camp site' i just call it 'parking up for the night'.and its not all about posh motor homes either. if you put a 2 burner on the backseat of your car to fry an egg out of the rain,that's all right innit ? well thats a camper to me,you can cook in it,sleep in it and travel in it,its all a matter of degree!the first van i could stand up in cost £4011179wasn't very posh ! did the job though

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 17:43
you ve got 3 or more poi s near to you not looked at them but give them a go

just jane
20-01-2013, 17:45
There are plenty of other pull ins(without barriers) along that road but street view doesnt show further along and the road is pretty quiet after closing time. I meant if anybody thought there would be bye laws because its in the forest.

just jane
20-01-2013, 17:51
Sorry Jane , I can't do all that google point stuff. I haven't even managed to download the poi,s give me a postcode or road name . I'm red hot on street view ! Regards chris

Its Ashton Road, just click on the link, it should open street view.

n brown
20-01-2013, 18:14
What is the legality of parking up here 53.2417, -2.68097 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.2417,+-2.68097&hl=en&ll=53.238972,-2.699547&spn=0.014126,0.042272&sll=53.239225,-2.687876&sspn=0.000883,0.002642&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.238984,-2.6993&panoid=QLjkPJWFkVIDNmm1g8t6TA&cbp=12,300,,0,0) in Delamere? Ive never tried it but I live very near and it would make a great overnight without having to go far. looks like a typical forestry entrance with a barrier to stop 4x4 s .etc.i'd park there like a shot,as long as you're not blocking access,and it's plenty wide enough for that

DRoader
20-01-2013, 18:32
What is the legality of parking up here 53.2417, -2.68097 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.2417,+-2.68097&hl=en&ll=53.238972,-2.699547&spn=0.014126,0.042272&sll=53.239225,-2.687876&sspn=0.000883,0.002642&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.238984,-2.6993&panoid=QLjkPJWFkVIDNmm1g8t6TA&cbp=12,300,,0,0) in Delamere? Ive never tried it but I live very near and it would make a great overnight without having to go far.

I think you need to wildcamp overnight there or somewhere else around the forest, and then let the rest of us know how it was.

just jane
20-01-2013, 18:39
I think you need to wildcamp overnight there or somewhere else around the forest, and then let the rest of us know how it was.

I will do as soon as the weather gets better, at the moment the forest is not much fun its just full of mud.

DRoader
20-01-2013, 18:47
I will do as soon as the weather gets better, at the moment the forest is not much fun its just full of mud.

Why not do it now? After all as you said you only live around the corner.

just jane
20-01-2013, 18:50
Its just too muddy and much better in the spring when more birds are out.

DRoader
20-01-2013, 18:53

I think you are full of ****.

maingate
20-01-2013, 19:04

That is not the first time you have come out with something like that for no reason.

Why not find another forum where there might be more like minded members to suit you.

Firefox
20-01-2013, 19:13
Wild camping is camping without explicit permissions and camping without paying.

Urban/rural/country/town/village has nothing to do with it for me.

You can have a car park near some woods, one in a village or one in a city. At the end of the day it's a piece of tarmac or some gravel and you're not paying to stay there.

just jane
20-01-2013, 19:28

No not me, but the forest is as I said :p

n brown
20-01-2013, 19:33
I think you are full of ****. eh?

n brown
20-01-2013, 19:37
I don't think there was a link . Lots of lay byes along there though on street view thanks , that look great and it's quiet I presume. Ive read on here that the forestry commission stop you overnighting . I don't know if that's true/ allowed . The last thing you need is a disgruntled ranger mithering you, as you finish your 2ltr bottle of Taurus and have your pyjamas on !! In saying that ,I've never had anyone knock on the van or had cause to move on at night ( maybe I've been lucky ) . i've been moved on quite a lot,often at gunpoint.its not that bad and gives you a chance to overact and flounce !'' i shall never,NEVER,come to your tinpot little country ever again!!''

Seahorse
20-01-2013, 19:46
I think for many the term "Wild Camping" is incorrect. I think that Freebie overnighting may be more appropriate....!:)

freedom6
20-01-2013, 19:57
I think for many the term "Wild Camping" is incorrect. I think that Freebie overnighting may be more appropriate....!:)

Thats why I made this post as I was not totally sure of the term, I now have a much better idea so glad i posted it.

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 21:26
11179wasn't very posh

bettcha someone would give you good bloody money for that sir

gaz2676
20-01-2013, 21:30
bit harsh just cos i shop a primemark i feel hurt i started with nothing and still got most of it left
lol:cry::sad:

Seahorse
20-01-2013, 22:31
bit harsh just cos i shop a primemark i feel hurt i started with nothing and still got most of it left
lol:cry::sad:

That makes 2 of us then. Move over and make room in that layby.:raofl:

Firefox
20-01-2013, 23:15
The term originally meant pitching up with tents on moors etc but it has come to mean any freebie camp with a tent, motorhome, or caravan. You usually could not usually pitch a tent in city but you could do so on waste ground etc and that would still be wild camping in my view. As opposed to rough camping which is the same thing but without a tent or vehicle.

n brown
20-01-2013, 23:23
i've been moved on quite a lot,often at gunpoint.its not that bad and gives you a chance to overact and flounce !'' i shall never,NEVER,come to your tinpot little country ever again!!''

i'll elucidate a bit,as that may sound a bit startling,in the late 70s,in Portugal, the most powerful cops,like any country,were the customs cops,and they knew they had the power!,but they just couldn't afford to shoot foreigners,as we were an important source of foreign income.they hated that we came down and lived on their beaches,but having been top dogs in the recent dictatorship,hated more to be stood up to ! i won't deny that there were some dodgy moments,these guys were usually young and wired!i have actually,being young too,pushed the muzzle of a machine gun to the side and told the guy holding it to eff off.god i was as dumb as they were!all travellers have stories like this,but the best stories are the most exciting,so don't let it put you off boys and girls![not bad,bit jimmy savile at the end,noone noticed]

noarlunga
21-01-2013, 11:43
The term "Stealth" suggests not to be identified, so the act of parking at the side of the road in any suburb, makes sense to me - but if found (caught) could be construed as Dishonest Vanning.

I have owned a 'stealth camper' for many years out of necessity. Working as a musician I often left my work places well after camp sites had shut down for the night (not that they were all open in the colder months anyway). Finding a good wild camping spot in the early hours was simply impractical. Staying in the urban or suburban area that I was working in was sometimes dodgy from a security point of view, especially given the value of the gear that I tend to carry. I didn't feel that I was 'dishonest' but rather being 'prudent'.

Now I camp more for leisure than for gigs, I could make my van more obviously a camper and maybe I will but I still don't feel 'dishonest'. I would be a little upset if some people construed my actions as such, although there are, of course, many intolerant and judgemental people around.

frontslide
21-01-2013, 12:01
its not the fact that campsites are getting your money..... its the fact you want to park where you want (within reason) the more scenic the better...... as long as your not getting anybodys knickers in a twist... all i want to do is exercise my right to live peacefully, no harm in that now is there smiley face
The phrase "took words right out of my mouth" springs to mind.

spigot
21-01-2013, 14:03
As Gaz2676 says its where I want to park not where i'm told to park. As long as your not upseting anyone or outstaying your welcome and the views are better than from a compound :drive: :wave:

Add Gestapo to the end of that list.

phillybarbour
21-01-2013, 15:57
Its all about choice, your choice and as many of us choose well away from heards of people telling what you can do and when you can do it.

Dezi
21-01-2013, 16:09
Outside of organised camping, wild camping is whatever you wish it to be.

For me it means usually having a destination and a rough route to get there.

Within reason I stop overnight where I wish, when I wish on route without inconveniencing anybody & often without anyone knowing that I have been.

I also take advantage of the aires system throughout Europe, & recommended spots from like minded travellers which, if suitable I pass on to others.

I rarely pay for an overnight stop, but if I do, fine, that’s part of pleasing myself.

Probably for most motorhomers “wild camping” is anything but a rainy fortnight parked up on some godforsaken site around Skegness while paying for the pleasure of it.

Dezi :pc:

Ps I have nothing personally against the good people of skegness,or even Lincolnshire and would in no way would wish my remarks to cast any aspersion
On their fair County, cold,windy,wet,flat & charmless that it maybe.

gaz2676
21-01-2013, 17:20
word

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS