PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do we believe the law to be on wild camping?

cosmic2736
24-01-2013, 21:54
New here so please be gentle..lol

just aquired another van to convert and am curious as to any problems memebers have encountered.

In my old iveco 65-12 lorry i was always seen as oh christ the travellers have arrived ..yet i am 52 and semi retired and of good character (so to speak)

used to park on the road, beach carparks, common land and tho had a few probs with police council wallahs etc never really had too much fuss.

So what do we all think?

Geoff

gaz2676
24-01-2013, 22:12
never been around one place long enuff to get any grief yet no doubt come the day itll be my turn but what the hell they wont shoot me i ll take it on the chin like a good boy say sorry ill have big cow eyes an see how i get on .........part of the fun i think the scores about 15 - 0 so far helps i aint no hgv weve got a little sprinter..... me say me blend in really fine yessy yes i so solly sihr i not speaky english for long time yes

Firefox
24-01-2013, 23:07
There's no problem really.

The police don't care and won't (shouldn't) do anything unless you are obstructing the highway.

Two exceptions to that

1. Local police have their beat and neighborhood NIMBYs to keep happy and may suggest another location if there is a complaint
2. I believe under the 1992(?) Criminal justice act, they can break up a gathering of more than 5 units, if there has been an aggregating circumstance like being abusive to the land owner, criminal damage, or littering. Post Thatcher legislation attempting to legalise atrocity like the Battle of the Beanfield. But there you have it - check it out, it's on the Statutes.

Other than that I have been knocked up by council officials, wardens, and forest rangers about 3 times in 30 years. Just tell them you're moving on the next morning, or don't even answer the door and move the next morning. Be polite, be civil, and move on. Can't go wrong.

snowbirds
25-01-2013, 01:48
Hi cosmic,

You said the word Traveller,It's the fear that you are advanced spotter for a band of travellers that will turn up team handed burn tyres break cars for a week or so then depart leaving a mess for the taxpayer to clean up.
I love the idea of freedom on the road but clean up after you don't annoy anybody and just carry on camping.

Snowbirds.:wave::wave:

New here so please be gentle..lol

just aquired another van to convert and am curious as to any problems memebers have encountered.

In my old iveco 65-12 lorry i was always seen as oh christ the travellers have arrived ..yet i am 52 and semi retired and of good character (so to speak)

used to park on the road, beach carparks, common land and tho had a few probs with police council wallahs etc never really had too much fuss.

So what do we all think?

Geoff

phillybarbour
25-01-2013, 05:35
Been M/Hing 3 years and never been asked to move, always park considerately in the first place. If I am near a house and see the owner I do try to speak to them to let them know I am only there for one night.

Wooie1958
25-01-2013, 06:54
Been M/Hing 3 years and never been asked to move, always park considerately in the first place. If I am near a house and see the owner I do try to speak to them to let them know I am only there for one night.

Never been asked to move, always park considerately in the first place.

I`d say you got it in one ! All it takes is some Common Sense and Consideration ( sadly lacking in a lot of people ) for others and you`re
normally alright.

In all our years we`ve never been asked to move either.

There`s too many " Sod you Pal , I`m Alright Jack , I Pay My Road Tax , I Know My Rights " brigade that spoil it for others.

MORGANTHEMOON
25-01-2013, 07:05
Welcome to the site.

marydot
25-01-2013, 12:32
[QUOTE=cosmic2736;279097 i am 52 and of good character (so to speak)
Geoff[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're on the right site? :raofl:

Welcome, anyway.

Marydot

Firefox
25-01-2013, 16:15
Lots of travellers are pretty cool and care for the places they stay, so very unfair to tar them all with the same brush. Espec New Age - you only have go to Stonehenge. Scottish John will give you a right earbashing if you leave a mess - he treats it like somebody would a well kept front garden :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS