PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Pop up TV

Beemer
25-01-2013, 20:16
Our 2004 A class motorhome has a TV cabinet at ceiling height, which I find uncomfortable, when watching TV or DVDs.
I remember looking inside a top model of m/h that had a pop up TV, that rose up from behind a seat with a single push!
I searched on the internet for a similar system for our m/h, but they all seemed too big and costly for our needs (a small TV), so I decided I would have a go at making one myself.

We have the ideal location, a single seat set behind the drivers chair, that has a blank wall behind it.
Because I am on a strict budget, I wanted to use only what I have in my junk shop of a garage. I had a drawer unit left over from a kitchen build a few years back, and some wood from an office strip out.
The seat cushions were removed, a frame was made, and the drawer unit fitted onto it.
11296 11298 11297
I used one of the shelves from the m/h cupboard which was not needed to form the top of the 'pop up', along with a suitable cupboard handle from B&Q at 7.40 (my only purchase), and another board to cover the front of the 'drawer'.
Some sticky backed Velcro (left over from a fly net door job) was used to secure the cushion back in place, and all there is left to do is the electrics.
11300 11301
It has taken me two afternoons to get to this stage, with the easy job yet to do, of running a switched, fused power supply in between the double floor to the TV. The aerial cable (for some reason) has already been supplied behind the seat.
Hopefully I can show you the unit working once I have fitted the power.

Beemer
25-01-2013, 20:26
The obvious problem is how to keep the 'pop up drawer' in the raised position, when using the TV.
As I am on a budget (now) I decided to keep it simple, until I found a better solution, so I used a bit of wood on a hinge. Once the 'pop up' is raised the wood is pushed into position to support the drawer.
11302 11303
This basic system would only be used when the vehicle is static, until it's upgrade!!!

Sparks
25-01-2013, 20:38
Post Deleted

Beemer
25-01-2013, 20:52
My TV lifts up from under a horizontal work top and I used a single one of these gas struts:
2 x Gas Strut Stay Kitchen Cabinet Door Hinge 80Nm (Pair) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Gas-Strut-Stay-Kitchen-Cabinet-Door-Hinge-80Nm-Pair-/271117422400?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurn iture_EH&hash=item3f1fdb8f40)

They are reasonably cheap and come in different sizes. Perhaps you could use one of those somehow.

Nice work by the way.

That looks like just the job, combined with a push catch...
What weight is your strut lifting Sparks?

Sparks
25-01-2013, 21:18
Post Deleted

kimbowbill
26-01-2013, 11:29
Dave, you are so money supermarket, i bet you feel Epic, :dance::dance:

well done you, i think this is great, :)

moonshadow
26-01-2013, 13:10
Brilliant! Would love to do that too, but sadly no where suitable!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS