PDA

View Full Version : Snow Chains

sherpa
09-12-2007, 16:48
Hi everybody.

I have a '91 Swift Kon Tiki and would like to get some suitable snow chains. Anybody got any advice.

grath
09-12-2007, 17:07
Hi everybody.

I have a '91 Swift Kon Tiki and would like to get some suitable snow chains. Anybody got any advice.

A company called Parma sell them.
The brochure that I have is last years and the price was 72 per set.
their tel no is 0800 619 3899. (they are in Wicham Market, Suffolk.
Apparently, they are compulsory in some countries, :eek:however as an ex International Trucker, going over the Alps and Pyrenees, I always said that when it was time to put the snow chains on, it was time to stop.:eek::D

Nosha
12-12-2007, 19:04
How about studded tyres??? Chains look like a LOT of hassle to fit... or is it me?

terry1956
13-12-2007, 16:15
Hi, the only places that I can think that you need chains are norway and lapland, After just returning from norway I would never waste my time and money going again, Total dump. Anyway you can pick up snow chains there for around the same price as in the UK. We never used them, but then again turned off into sweden after tromhelm, Sweden is a much nicer place along with denmark.
also remember that chains weigh alot, so maybe worth only getting them if needed. terry

Geoff.W
13-12-2007, 16:50
In Austria and I believe some other alpine countries, you are required by law to carry snow chains or use special tyres on certain roads from November to March. Not sure of exact dates or if this applies to all vehicles, but I'm sure it applies to coaches and commercials.

grath
13-12-2007, 16:57
In Austria and I believe some other alpine countries, you are required by law to carry snow chains or use special tyres on certain roads from November to March. Not sure of exact dates or if this applies to all vehicles, but I'm sure it applies to coaches and commercials.

This applies to most Alpine countries and Germany where different tyres are used for Summer and Winter.
If you do not carry snow chains you risk a fine!:eek:
But putting them on!!! that's another story!!! Time to park up I think!!:D

terry1956
13-12-2007, 17:00
Well we find out new things all the time,Is this all regions and roads, when through last year on the motorway to italy and did not need chains. Only place I HAVE EVER USED THEM WAS IN SPAIN in 2006, in the end pulled over and parked up as chains kill the tires. But if its the law its the law, have a look in germany, most things re motorhomes are cost less there.
terry

grath
13-12-2007, 17:05
Well we find out new things all the time,Is this all regions and roads, when through last year on the motorway to italy and did not need chains. Only place I HAVE EVER USED THEM WAS IN SPAIN in 2006, in the end pulled over and parked up as chains kill the tires. But if its the law its the law, have a look in germany, most things re motorhomes are cost less there.
terry

Hi Terry, yes things are changing all the time and as you say the law is the law.
You & I may get away without them but it is taking a chance.
I have just been looking on the AA website and it appears that most Alpine countries now require them and are compulsory:eek:
It seems that if you get stuck and cause congestion, you will be fined:eek:
Better to park up and have a sleep:D
Try this
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

terry1956
14-12-2007, 13:04
Hi G, Yes things are getting more big brother each time we travel there are more and more laws. As stated the only time I put on the chains was in spain, But boy the Hymer did not like them, so we parked up for two days on the road side along with the HGV,s and ended up with 4 drivers from the UK and 1 spanish policeman all drinking cups of tea and watching dvd,s. The HGV drivers had to stop in the middle of no where and had nothing to eat or drink, and the policeman was just so cold from standing around that I just had to call him over.
But as state we are always finding out new things. terry

grath
14-12-2007, 14:22
Hi G, Yes things are getting more big brother each time we travel there are more and more laws. As stated the only time I put on the chains was in spain, But boy the Hymer did not like them, so we parked up for two days on the road side along with the HGV,s and ended up with 4 drivers from the UK and 1 spanish policeman all drinking cups of tea and watching dvd,s. The HGV drivers had to stop in the middle of no where and had nothing to eat or drink, and the policeman was just so cold from standing around that I just had to call him over.
But as state we are always finding out new things. terry

Hi Trry.
I bet you were in the Burgos, Vitoria or Pampalona area to get that much snow!!!!
What was wrong with Norway? what didn't you like?

grath
14-12-2007, 17:28
Hi Trry.
I bet you were in the Burgos, Vitoria or Pampalona area to get that much snow!!!!
What was wrong with Norway? what didn't you like?

The above has just reminded me of my International Trucking days.:D
I was once weekended just north of Pampalona at quite a good restaurant/ truckers stop and it snowed all day on the Sunday but it did not get too deep.;)
The snow gritters had kept it reasonably good, therefore when the truckers driving ban was lifted at 2200 hrs most of us decided to proceed to our final destinations.:cool:
I was heading for Madrid and the roads that we used were C roads but were good and usually quicker and quieter than the N1.;)
After driving for about 3 hours which normally would have taken just over one hour, I decided that enough was enough and I parked up at a restaurant that I knew, and I turned in for the night:D
The next morning, I could not see through my passenger window as the snow had drifted so high and the drivers door would not open as it was frozen shut!!!!:eek:
I had to kick and kick from the inside to get it to open!!
That is real snow, not what we get back in the UK

Edit.
For anyone that knows the roads over in Spain, it was on the C101 at Almenar, between Agreda and Almazan, missing out Soria.
More commonly called "The Dog leg bit"
On this particular route, you see no towns for several hours of driving, only villages and this is what makes it quicker and nicer!

baloothebear
14-12-2007, 18:47
This applies to most Alpine countries and Germany where different tyres are used for Summer and Winter.
If you do not carry snow chains you risk a fine!:eek:
But putting them on!!! that's another story!!! Time to park up I think!!:D

Putting them on! Yes that can be fun. If you do get some have a practise with them before you have to use them. They can be useful for getting off muddy fields as well

terry1956
15-12-2007, 10:07
Hi, we had to stop about 60 miles from france in the middle of nowhere due to the police crossing the roads, after 1 day and a night we could push on a bit if we had chains, But after driving past a number of HGV,s that had slipped off the road we pulled in along with all the others and waited 2 days until the roads opened, it was a real pain, lucky we had lots of gas for the heating and cooking etc.
OK, Norway, are plan was to see denmark then drive into sweden and then drive across the lower part into norway then back into sweden at the top half. We made it in oslo, Well Oslo is a very expensive dump, the waterfront what there is of it is OK, but most of it is taken up with a ferrie port, think of s/hampton but a lot smaller and thats oslo. We could not find the local motorhome site so went to one just outside, it was full of newcomers as they are called and signs about thiefs. it was a dark depressing place, we did see the longships which was interesting. We then moved on further north, we found the food uninteresting, most came out of cans or packets, there was a lot of industrie in view all the time, and the people had an edge to them (unless they had their hand out for money) It was very much the same single lane roads and was just so boring, Its very hard to explain, I think we both had ideas of great views better then scotland, But it was just a big let down, We got to tromhelm and due to silly no packing signs all over the place we moved into sweden that day, O joy to be in a place when people say hello back to you, and one does not need to check the bank account when before having a meal. We plan to go back to denmark for the fly fishing 11 for the year on all waters and sweden just to enjoy the place again, Norway never again. terry

grath
15-12-2007, 10:18
Hi Terry,
We were thinking of going to Norway some time, but will now have a serious rethink and think more of Denmark & Sweden.:confused:
I like you, always imagined it to be like Scotland only nicer and your comments about the people is also a little off putting.:eek:
I suppose some people will have a different perspective on Norway and I would imagine some could be good.:D
You can only speak as you find.;)
Anyway thanks for your view.:cool:

terry1956
15-12-2007, 14:26
Hi G. For me norway was a total lost and waste of time. Sweden was great, with some great people and thinks to see and do,Denmark was nice, I went for the sea bass fishing, some of the best in the world, and had a great time. there is also a viking ship to see in denmark and I don,t know if you are interested but the Vasa ship in stockholm is a must and stockholm itseft is just a great place to be, depending on what time of year you are planning to go, there is a camp site in stockholm itseft which is open only in the summer and you can walk in. We had to camp just outside and used the quad to get in and around the city, lots to see and enjoy, can,t wait to go back. terry

grath
15-12-2007, 14:31
Hi G. For me norway was a total lost and waste of time. Sweden was great, with some great people and thinks to see and do,Denmark was nice, I went for the sea bass fishing, some of the best in the world, and had a great time. there is also a viking ship to see in denmark and I don,t know if you are interested but the Vasa ship in stockholm is a must and stockholm itseft is just a great place to be, depending on what time of year you are planning to go, there is a camp site in stockholm itseft which is open only in the summer and you can walk in. We had to camp just outside and used the quad to get in and around the city, lots to see and enjoy, can,t wait to go back. terry

You have just wetted my appetite:cool:

sea lion
15-12-2007, 16:51
I just bought some off ebay for about 25, to fit my 98 Boxer. They have come down in price a lot.

Useful for winter emergencies and may also be helpful for getting stuck in a muddy field.

Geoff.W
15-12-2007, 20:32
I have never used snow chains but reading with interest about thier use. Would I be correct in thinking that the general consensus would be that they are fine for getting you out of trouble, but if you are in a safe spot and couldn't move on with out using them, you are better off staying put.

i.e. don't use them to get yourself into trouble.

grath
15-12-2007, 21:09
I have never used snow chains but reading with interest about thier use. Would I be correct in thinking that the general consensus would be that they are fine for getting you out of trouble, but if you are in a safe spot and couldn't move on with out using them, you are better off staying put.

i.e. don't use them to get yourself into trouble.

You will get filthy, dirty and cover yourself with dirty snow and you will have to look forward to a sensation that is worse than driving down a cobbled street,:eek: and on top of that, it is not good for the tyres!:eek:
Good fun, I think not!!!!!
Better to park up and wait!:cool:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS