PDA

View Full Version : Outer Hebrides

DiAndy
30-01-2013, 15:38
Hi Guys

Planning a two week trip to the Outer Hebrides late spring this year. :camper: [7.5M Motorhome]
Starting in the south and ending up on Lewis.

Looking for advice on any Service sites, wild camping locations, visitor spots [with access and parking] etc. :beer:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

champstar
30-01-2013, 15:53
You dont say what island you are starting off from?
Two weeks may not be enough time...depends on what you want to do or see.

On Barra not much wildcamping now as you are encouraged to use one of the crofters bit of land a list is available from the TIO.
The Uists are wonderful with miles of beaches where you can stay for free....you will get services such as water and toilet emptying at the ferry terminals.

You can stay pretty much anywhere as long as you are not causing a blockage or trouble.

It might be better to do a search in the Scotland section as most of what you want will be covered there.

We took a month to cover the islands last year but we rushed up to Lewis and regretted leaving the uists early. Most of the big touristy must dos on Lewis can be done in a day or two. I would say it is not as motorhome friendly as the Uists or even Harris.

Remember on Lewis everything is closed on the sabbath even fishing is banned..so be warned but I am sure you will love the whole experience.

Guernsey Donkey
30-01-2013, 19:05
Have a look at this page, any more help needed, send me a private message. http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/5607-isle-lewis-isle-harris-western-isles.html

Mul
21-03-2013, 22:42
Eriskay, linked by Causeway from South Uist.

The ferry parking area where folks catch the wee boat for the trip to Barra is beautiful, large and quiet but interesting to watch the boats come and go. It's not busy either. White beaches, blue sea. A CalMac mans opens the unmanned waiting room... toilets hoorah, in the morning for the locals and there's a fresh water tap outside the Hut too.

Enjoy, cheers Mul.

Mul
21-03-2013, 22:53
We also stopped for lunch a mile or south of the Callanish Stones (Harris / Lewis) on a sandy off roadish car park in the dunes. Access looked worse than it was through a gate - vehicle access is allowed. Picnic Tables etc.
We didn't o/night but there was plenty who were.

The only place we found at (or anywhere near) Stornoway was the free parking next to the Ferry terminal. We felt safe, boat spotted again and spent a few bob in the local Chippie too.

POI Admin
21-03-2013, 23:45
We also stopped for lunch a mile or south of the Callanish Stones (Harris / Lewis) on a sandy off roadish car park in the dunes. Access looked worse than it was through a gate - vehicle access is allowed. Picnic Tables etc.

Struggling to locate this - can you give latitude/longitude please? Ta :-)

Guernsey Donkey
22-03-2013, 10:23
Struggling to locate this - can you give latitude/longitude please? Ta :-)

Hi POI Admin Not sure where this spot is myself and I live near Stornoway, There are a few places to park overnight near Stornoway so when out and about I will locate them with sat nav map reff and advise you.
them to you.

Mul
22-03-2013, 18:37
:eek:

Note to self, misleading useless info is worse than no info, note to self misleading useless info is worse than no info, note to self ...

In my defence

i) it was a year ago :-/
ii) i wasn't into POI grabbing

erm, I've found it and it wasn't quite where I remembered, sorry folks, sigh.

We are all allowed to make mistakes aren't we :egg:

(Stornoway and Eriskay are still valid though)

PinkFlowerPetal
22-03-2013, 20:30
We didn't o/night but there was plenty who were.

You have a very good choice of van !!!!!!!! :)

POI Admin
22-03-2013, 21:37
:eek:

Note to self, misleading useless info is worse than no info, note to self misleading useless info is worse than no info, note to self ...

In my defence

i) it was a year ago :-/
ii) i wasn't into POI grabbing

erm, I've found it and it wasn't quite where I remembered, sorry folks, sigh.

We are all allowed to make mistakes aren't we :egg:

(Stornoway and Eriskay are still valid though)

Thanks for finding it, and confirming it's in the POIs :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS