PDA

View Full Version : I question on portable toilets for a camper van?

freedom6
02-02-2013, 12:24
Seen a few online ranging from 50-110 is their any fundamental difference as they all look the same to me, seen one called a Royal 21l and a Thetford

Thetford Porta Potti Qube 165 Camping Toilet | GO Outdoors (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/thetford-porta-potti-qube-165-p195510)

Just wondering what you guys think is best? I dont want to flush all my money away one thats no good :-p

donkey too
02-02-2013, 12:58
I use one which I made myself. Basically it is a bucket with a tight fitting lid inside what was termed in the army as a thunder bax. I nuse biodegradable wast bags in it and and bury them. It works for me and is cheap as chips. Also have a wood chip compasteble one which you use and cover stools with wood chip or cat litter and as the lid is tight fitting it does not smell at all. But with these you cannot mix solids with liquids or it will smell.

sue50fox
02-02-2013, 12:59
I had a folding camper a few years ago. My husband bought me a portable loo for it. I know how spoilt am i. It was a royal make not sure if it had a number after the name. I was a good loo had no problems with it. Easy to clean out and very sturdy. I think he paid about 50 for it. I can reccommend this one

forager
02-02-2013, 14:11
Seen a few online ranging from 50-110 is their any fundamental difference as they all look the same to me, seen one called a Royal 21l and a Thetford

Thetford Porta Potti Qube 165 Camping Toilet | GO Outdoors (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/thetford-porta-potti-qube-165-p195510)

Just wondering what you guys think is best? I dont want to flush all my money away one thats no good :-p

I've had several Thetfords and they are brilliant, used many times a day, all year round, down to -5 and frozen up but they don't break.
Tried a couple of other makes just for a change and the pull handle snapped off in cold weather! (brittle plastic) Fortunately got my money back as it happened within days.

jann
02-02-2013, 15:14
We had a porta potti, very good. We had a coleman one which cracked after a few weeks, they did send me a replacement one, but we had picked up another porta potti in the meanwihle and have kept using that.

outtolunch
02-02-2013, 16:48
I have had several Thetford toilets and they are well made and you can get spares for them, the Royal looks identical I don't know if its a rebadged Thetford or a copy as spares are available for the Thetford

I have sent an email to Royal Leisure ( who are part of unipart who also own Fiamma who also sell different portable toilets ) and will let you know what reply I get

freedom6
02-02-2013, 17:13
cheers guys, and yeah let me know :0

Viktor
02-02-2013, 23:36
Go for the Tetford Cube - it is the smallest size for a small campervan. Sturdy and leakproof. Don't buy the stylist Dometic they leak from seams and the plastic is brittle and prone to hairline cracking (I've gone through 3 of them in 6 months).

freedom6
03-02-2013, 14:09
Their area few cube ones or qube, have you a model number please??

Viktor
03-02-2013, 15:28
Thetford Porta Potti Cube 335 is the smallest with 10 litre flush tank and 10 litre waste tank. 335 x 348 x 385 dimentions. Can be bought over the counter at Go Outdoors.

freedom6
03-02-2013, 15:34
oh cool just seen it on the site, yeah looks ok, do they take dumps or just number ones?? sorry no nother way to put it ha

Viktor
03-02-2013, 16:21
Lol of course you can dump in them, but I don't recommend it. Try and use a hotel or services for that instead. With all porta potty type toilets if you dump in them you might be pushing that obelisk in by hand lol.

frontslide
03-02-2013, 16:41
Lol of course you can dump in them, but I don't recommend it. Try and use a hotel or services for that instead. With all porta potty type toilets if you dump in them you might be pushing that obelisk in by hand lol.
I was going to ask the question about who number "2's" in their potty its not something id consider:danger:

frontslide
03-02-2013, 17:59
Trousers down and arse over the side, surely?:)

kenjones
03-02-2013, 19:48
I used a Thetford in a toilet tent with a folding camper. A small Thetford in a cupboard in a swb van conversion and now have a Thetford with electric flush in a well equiped camper.
You notice all the same make. Never had any problems with any of them

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS