PDA

View Full Version : Route maps for France???

carolinemoon
11-02-2013, 15:50
We are planning a trip to France in June down to the South West and then probably into the Pyrenees. Just wondering what route planners are good to use? We've only really used the RAC route planner in the past, this year we want to avoid the toll roads if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Aladdinsane
11-02-2013, 16:03
We are planning a trip to France in June down to the South West and then probably into the Pyrenees. Just wondering what route planners are good to use? We've only really used the RAC route planner in the past, this year we want to avoid the toll roads if possible.

Thanks in advance.

There are options on the RAC route planner to avoid tolls (advanced options) Couldn't find one on the AA though.

BwB
11-02-2013, 16:19
ViaMichelin: Michelin route planner and maps, restaurants, traffic news and hotel booking (http://www.viamichelin.com/)

It's being a bit slow at the moment (for me) but gives an indication of routes and costs through Europe.

Ironjaws
11-02-2013, 16:35
The IGN paper maps are superb, the French equivalent of the Ordnance Survey, should be available in UK. Their site is : Portail de l'IGN | L'information grandeur nature (http://www.ign.fr). Available from Stanfords : www.stanfords.co.uk/IGN-MAPS
Using Google maps is also pretty good, you can select not to use toll roads.

landydriver
11-02-2013, 17:47

rockape
11-02-2013, 18:14

Thanks in advance. Like you im away early April and going to take a slowwwwwww trek (2 weeks) to travel down the west side heading for Biarritz and then cross the border and head south east towards Barcelona and southern beaches. I am not planning to use the Peages but take a meander all over so i do not have a true route. Just go with the flow if you have the time.

Remember , a good traveller has no fixed plans and not intent on arriving.

phillybarbour
11-02-2013, 18:41
I agre with others ViaMichelin takes some beating in Europe, Google maps seems good to.

dave and mary
11-02-2013, 18:42

Thanks in advance.

We spent 5 weeks around there last year and over the Pyrenees into Spain, never spent a euro on tolls. We use a book called camperstop down load the sites into our sat nave look on the map for a town or place of interest, put in on tolls and go. Found it so much better than trying to follow a rout on a map :drive: :drive:

GRWXJR
11-02-2013, 19:14
I'm another who's used Google Maps to look out a route across France - haven't tried the others though.

I went down to Pau and across to the Med over the Pyrenees back on a motorbike in '02, then back up through the Ardeche and up the middle (Cherbourg on the way out, and Calais on the return).

Only thing I can say is that we rode and followed generally the Atlantic coast side to the Mountains down in the general direction of Saintes and Bordeaux, and that I wasn't actually all that thrilled with the route and the scenery. Going again, I'd stick further inland to take in the Loire Valley and the Central Massif and head south from there, only bearing South-West for Pau / Biarritz when a lot further South (Bordeaux-ish). Then a run across the Pyrenees (I liked Pau and Tarbes at night - the alleyway resteraunt in Pau were interesting) to the Med at Perpignon (had a fantastic Steak in Red Wine sauce there that I still think was the best thing), then maybe take in the Tarn Gorge under the Millau Bridge on the return with a run through the National Park when heading North towards Clermont-Ferrand on the way back.

But that could just be me, and we didn't pick a great route perhaps on the way down perhaps - so maybe others can flesh out what the good bits are if you stay to the far west.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS