PDA

View Full Version : Pembrokeshire

ian234
14-02-2013, 10:16
Looking forward to 10 days away in the van next week. Last minute change of plan so no preparation done. Fairly happy with the locations found on here. We love walking and being outdoors, what are the 'must not miss' areas we should visit please?

carolinemoon
14-02-2013, 11:58
Any part of the coastal walk is just beautiful. Last year we stayed in St Davids and walked for miles...absolutely stunning. Enjoy your holiday :banana:

MORGANTHEMOON
14-02-2013, 12:23
Places I would recommend in Pembrokeshire.

Bosherston Lily ponds)
Stackpole Quay )
Barafundle bay ) All these are close together.
Stack Rocks )
St Governs church )

If you like walking this is a truly a great area.
The National Trust own most of this land and the walks around the Lily ponds are quite stunning which ends up on a lovely beach. There are also wonderful walks starting at Stackpole quay to Barafundle bay which is only accessible on foot. These walks go all around the Stackpole Estate.
St Governs Church is built into the rocks and well worth a visit.
The nice beaches in the area are Freshwater East and Freshwater west (POI)

Tenby is a must but not motorhome friendly.
Saunersfoot Harbour is nice.
Solva is a beautiful inlet well worth the visit.
St Davids cathedral and Whitesands bay (You can also arrange boat trips here to Skoma to see the seabird colonies and seals)
Manorbier beach is picturesque.

MORGANTHEMOON
14-02-2013, 12:27
There is a Wales group worth joining in community at the top of the page.

Gemani2
14-02-2013, 15:13
Angle is nice little village, stay in car park overlooking west angle bay, or if you have a meal in "the point" pub, landlord may let you overnight in the car park. I love angle , like it's 50 years behind in time, heard you can also stay in car park in solva but haven't tried that. If you looking for real seclusion stay in the many little pullins overlooking freshwater west. We also trying to get away and Angle is my fav' place

GRWXJR
14-02-2013, 16:07
Morgan Covered it pretty well, and yes Angle is nice (though there's a great view of the refineries, but that shouldn't put you off).

I'd say generally the southern half of Pembs is more developed for tourism, while the northern half is less so (which means I like it better). If you like walking then I'd say the Coastal path from say St Davids to Fishguard is great, and along there there's small villages/pubs in places like Porthgain & Trefin etc. The roads right on the coastal edge can be narrow and twiddly, but generally ok.

There's also of course the Preseli Hills in the northern half, which are nice, and generally the Pembrokeshire Coast national park which runs up to Cardigan.

There's odd places if you want something a bit different like the 'Tafarn Sinc' pub in the village of Rosebush in the Preseli's - which is clad in wriggly tin (corrugated iron) and still has sawdust on the floor. You can get a cracking pint of welsh ale and a decent meal and the countryside around is pretty good as well.

If you stay to the southern & Western parts, then Amroth village & beach is pleasant, as is Wisemans Bridge which is a little East of Saundersfoot. As MTM says, Tenby isn't very vehicle friendly, but the run out the other side heading to Pembroke (and Bosherston/Barafundel etc. is lovely, or you can go over The Ridgeway from Penally toward Pembroke instead. Manorbier with its castle is worth a look, St Florence Village is well-kept.

Pretty places a bit off the beaten track (and where I fancy having a crack at Wilding myself) would be Landshipping (has a flat easy quay to launch a kayak to explore the upper estuary - which I want to do) Lawrenny & Lawrenny Quay (Chandlers and Tea Rooms, boats n stuff) and Cresswell Quay (nice pub and occasional vintage car rallies in the summer evenings there), which are up the Cleddau Estuary not too far from Carew Castle. All of these are in really remote little spots, surprisingly near to Pembroke Dock (as the crow flies at least).

These are ones I could think of off the top of my head - but I must have overlooked loads of things.

Gemani2
14-02-2013, 16:30
I agree with last post, Landshipping is breathtakingly quiet and lovely and absolutely stunning at sunset, the pub at lawrenny do a fab seafood sarnie! Anyone stayed at either?

ian234
14-02-2013, 18:53
You are all very kind. Our OS maps arrived today, so we are busy plotting our trip with all your really great advice. What a fantastic
forum this is!

TheCoggins
14-02-2013, 20:07
St Davids is a must with it's wonderful Cathedral. We took a local bu from St Davids to Whitesands and walked back along the coastal path to St Davids about 9 miles. It is a beautiful walk with stunning veiws and porpoises leaping in the water.
Tenby is lovely and also The Gower. We stayed at Nicholaston. Have a wonderful time it is such a wonderful area of the UK.

GRWXJR
15-02-2013, 09:12
I agree with last post, Landshipping is breathtakingly quiet and lovely and absolutely stunning at sunset, the pub at lawrenny do a fab seafood sarnie! Anyone stayed at either?

I live sort of at the gateway to Pembrokeshire, just outside St Clears in Carmarthenshire, where the A48 road splits left to head for Tenby, Pembroke & Pembroke Dock, & right to head for Haverfordwest, Milford Haven, St Davids & Fishguard.

So, I live close enough to visit all these places on a day trip, but not so far away that they warrant an overnight accommodation stop. One of the things I thought about when deciding I was going to get a cheap campervan was the fact that it'd be nice to be able to make these pretty close places into more of a trip and make the most of them.

E.g without worrying too much about the exact tide timetable I could wander off to somewhere like Landshipping on say a Friday evening, and spend time wandering about and hopefully my Sit-On-Top Kayak will fit in 'Sully' the van and I could explore the Estuary inlets from the water (I've been told that there's a small island up river from Landshipping that you can paddle to, and Camp overnight on if you wish away from it all if you're feeling adventurous). Or...

Newport village in N.Pembs. Lovely spot and another nice little beach and ideal spot to kayak, Or Cilgerran, or lots of places

Also there's some great Mountain Biking / Walking in the Brechfa Forest in Carmarthenshire. Abergorlech village is quiet, has a nice big secluded rural car park at the start of the trails, and a nice little pub round the corner. I could head there on a Friday evening, then spend as long as I liked enjoying the trails and the area with all I needed in the van.

Then just across into Cardiganshire (Ceredigion) there's Devils Bridge, Strata Florida, The Elan Valley..... I could go on.

Basically, I know I'm lucky in that I live relatively near some lovely spots. But often a day trip means limited time and options, so hoping the Campervan will enable me to make the best of limited time I have to enjoy them.

From the original posters trip point of view, I think there's masses of places they can visit and enjoy. I've been all over the area on my motorcycle, so if you have a particular area in mind & want to ask, then if I know anywhere there to suggest, I'll happily do so. :goodluck:

ian234
21-02-2013, 17:36
Our first night away was spent in a Toby Carvery car park near the NEC! Really good spot if not a little noisy from road traffic.

Second and third nights were spent on the car park at Oystermouth (Mumbles), not quite Pembrokeshire yet, but we are on the way round!

Tonight we are in Oxwich on the Gower, with permission, just down from the hotel in a car park.

We will get to Pembrokeshire soon. I promise!

I will sort out longitude/latitudes when I get home.

Thanks everyone so far.

Gemani2
21-02-2013, 18:04
If you are going to bosherton lily ponds, take a walk right round and down to the most lovely beach..and a must( if its open) is 'the Olde World cafe' in Bosherton...the most amazing cream teas ever...it's owned by an elderly lady , thinks she's an M.b.e. or O.B.E ? It's renowned for its lovely food and has a good history to it as well. If going to St governs church be aware that if the firing range is open you can't get access ..firing range shuts at 4pm and don't think it's active on weekends so best time to go

MORGANTHEMOON
21-02-2013, 20:02
Our first night away was spent in a Toby Carvery car park near the NEC! Really good spot if not a little noisy from road traffic.

Second and third nights were spent on the car park at Oystermouth (Mumbles), not quite Pembrokeshire yet, but we are on the way round!

Tonight we are in Oxwich on the Gower, with permission, just down from the hotel in a car park.

We will get to Pembrokeshire soon. I promise!

I will sort out longitude/latitudes when I get home.

Thanks everyone so far.

A great place to stop of on your way west is here.
The landlord will let you stop in the car park but there's an area opposite the church you can stop without any permission.
The stunning thatched pub is also a brewery and an amazing place to spend an evening.
The White Hart (http://www.thebestpubinwales.co.uk/)

MORGANTHEMOON
21-02-2013, 20:11
If you are in Oxwich take a walk in the dunes there's loads of wildlife.

Also when you leave there's a viewpoint just after you pass through Nicolston on you right.
Here you will see the stunning Three cliffs bay possibly one of the best views of a beach in the UK.

ian234
22-02-2013, 18:01
Loved Oxwich. Loads of new No Overnight Parking signs at Amroth. Also not possible at Creswell or Lawrenny Quays. Found a quiet spot for tonight in a lay-bye above Carew. As above, more details when we get home.

Gemani2
23-02-2013, 16:13
Looking forward to your update..we're guessing where you'll be next

ian234
24-02-2013, 09:14
Had a really nice day trotting about Tenby with a walk up the beach and around the harbour. Parked all day for nowt by the double roundabouts below the railway station (no charge Sep - Apr. Parked up again last night above Carew (wish the castle and tidal mill were open), nice clean loos here. Off to Freshwater East for a walk up to Lydstep and back. No buses on Sunday to bring us back. Not sure where tonight, but will head towards Bosherton. Lovely warm sunny day.

MORGANTHEMOON
24-02-2013, 09:23
Freshwater West has POI.
I've not tried it but I believe it overlooks the beach.

That area is quiet this time of year so I'm sure you won't be hassled.

You could try Broad haven beach near the Bosherston also.

stormywalters
24-02-2013, 10:07
Abereiddy, Pembrokeshire.
Not been here myself but it is on my hit list :cool:
It`s where the Red Bull Cliff Diving takes place.....

ian234
25-02-2013, 18:11
Parked at Morbier and walked to the far end of Lydstep and back. Stayed last night at Freshwater West watching surfers until the sun disappeared. Really long walk from the beach around Angle and back! About 13 miles, just a bit far for us! Staying here again tonight and off to Bosherston tomorrow.

Gemani2
26-02-2013, 18:01
You can stay in the car park overlooking west angle bay ( well away from refineries and you cannot see them) not to be confused with east angle bay where the Point pub is.
youll be near the village, near the pub, overlooking the beach..think there are some 'no overnight' signs there but trick is, have an open bottle of wine on the table, can't move on cos you've had a drink ! We've never been moved on there, very popular place with wild motorhomes and has been for years..going there in a few days .

MORGANTHEMOON
26-02-2013, 18:06
Parked at Morbier and walked to the far end of Lydstep and back. Stayed last night at Freshwater West watching surfers until the sun disappeared. Really long walk from the beach around Angle and back! About 13 miles, just a bit far for us! Staying here again tonight and off to Bosherston tomorrow.

Sounds like you're having a great time.

ian234
27-02-2013, 10:54
We are having a great time thanks morganthemoon. Yesterday was our final day spent in and around Brosherton. Hopes for lunch at Stackpole Quay dashed by winter closure, but remedied by a fabulous if not a little pricey ploughmans, chips and a couple of pints at the Stackpole Inn. Broad haven and Baramundle bays both visited, but St Govens and the Stacks both OOB due to firing. Sadly on the way north now, spent last night near Sugar Loaf and on the way to Llangollen for a couple of nights. POI's and taps when we get home. Really enjoyed Pembrokeshire. We'll be back, but can only travel out of season due to jobs, so maybe early November.

MORGANTHEMOON
27-02-2013, 13:40
If you write out your diary for your week in Wales, I'll post it in the Wales group.
It will help other visitors to Wales.

Gemani2
10-03-2013, 17:41
Hi ian234

On your trip to Pembs' you mentioned that you stayed at Oxwich ' with permission' ..can I ask permission from whom? Would love to wild scamp here but thought it was banned

Many thanks

MORGANTHEMOON
10-03-2013, 17:51
The owner of the hotel will often let you stay I believe his name Ian.
The beach is stunning and you can walk for miles.

Gemani2
10-03-2013, 17:54
Many thanks MTM, looking and planning Easter weekend, want to try the gower, love 3 cliffs bay etc

MORGANTHEMOON
10-03-2013, 18:47
Many thanks MTM, looking and planning Easter weekend, want to try the gower, love 3 cliffs bay etc

You should come to some of the Welsh meets.

ian234
03-04-2013, 11:05
Sorry for the delay. The chap in the pay booth gave us permission to park at Oxwich. He told us to move from the beach car park to the overflow area behind the booth. It was nearer to the pub/hotel!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS