PDA

View Full Version : Solar Panel System

Beemer
14-02-2013, 20:11
I have been setting up a new solar panel system with a splitter box so that I can utilise three batteries.
I want to keep my 110Ah battery purely for the TV point, so that once the battery gets low, I know that I still have the other two 115s which will run the rest of the habitation electrics.
I have included a plan, but would like your opinions on the set up.

It would be interesting to see just how the solar panel manages to 'top up' the 110, the day after, say, an evenings TV. I can easily link all three batteries if this does not work however....:p

Cliffy
14-02-2013, 20:49
I can see what you are trying to do but I can't see why.

We have three batteries including the engine and are all charged by whichever supply is available Alternator/EHU/solar panel. In the summer the solar panel will almost fully recharge the batteries before we get up in the morning. You say that when the TV battery gets low you still have the other two for the habitation. If you use the TV battery until the TV goes off the battery wont like it and give up the ghost after a relatively few cycles.

We have a VanBitz Battery Master that monitors the engine battery to take any excess power from the solar panel that the habitation batteries are not taking so the engine battery is no more than half a volt below the habitation but never allows the habitation to pull down the engine battery.

I suppose this has not been a great deal of help to you but it is given in good faith.

Beemer
14-02-2013, 22:45
You say that when the TV battery gets low you still have the other two for the habitation. If you use the TV battery until the TV goes off the battery wont like it and give up the ghost after a relatively few cycles.
I suppose this has not been a great deal of help to you but it is given in good faith.

Ah, now, something I had not thought out... the constant possibility of the TV battery going flat, and ruining the battery!
In my last vehicle the spare 'charge' from the Accumulator Charger went to the vehicle battery, and kept it 'topped up'. I may therefore do the same set up for this vehicle, even though, unlike my last vehicle, this one gets an engine battery 'top up' from 240v hook up.
It has been a great deal of help, and I thank you.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS