View Full Version : Bridge of Orchy

johnmac185
16-03-2013, 21:03
Stayed here overnight, did not see any restriction, although i
got there in dark and left in the dark,,,
56.516739,-4.76933, just before hotel on left going north A82,,

POI Admin
16-03-2013, 23:16
Can anyone confirm if there are restrictions on this car park?

DTDog
17-03-2013, 05:00
We stayed there last year and I understand it is still okay, especially workin on Scotland's 'Freedom to roam' policy.
It is on the POI list.

If you continue on the road (which is a single track dirt road) then you eventually cross another very small bridge. Just after this you will find another car park which is completely out of the way. Also on the POI list.

james1508
17-03-2013, 08:48
Jumping on the band wagon here, there is also a tap on the front of the pub i remember from doing the West Highland Way a few years ago. Has anyone filled up with water and have the pub been ok about it ? I didnt want to add to the POI if the pub had objections.

Cheers

56.516739,-4.76933 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/ExJfr)

UPDATE ON TAP>

Emailed the Bridge of Orchy and got a reply. They are unable to let vehicles block the tap area as they are currently having a disabled rap built.

POI Admin
17-03-2013, 12:46
We stayed there last year and I understand it is still okay, especially workin on Scotland's 'Freedom to roam' policy.
It is on the POI list.

Actually no it isn't ... hence the question ...

Camperiain
18-03-2013, 23:59
Don't get confused over the right to roam. The Trespass law in Scotland is very specific and is covered by the Trespass (Scotland) Act 1865 which makes it very clear:

"Every person who lodges in any premises, or occupies or encamps on any land, being private property, without the consent and permission of the owner or legal occupier of such premises or land, and every person who encamps or lights a fire on or near any road or enclosed or cultivated land, or in or near any plantation, without the consent and permission of the owner or legal occupier of such road, land, or plantation shall be guilty of an offence punishable as herein-after provided."

It gives power of arrest and, due to problems with the Travelling Fraternity and frequent complaints from landowners and the Local Authority, Argyll is one area where it is regularly enforced. Also remember that police in Scotland can hold anyone in custody that they think may abscond or who they cannot identify beyond doubt until the next lawful day for court, which could be after a holiday weekend.

In summary there is a right to roam over land provided you do no damage but if you choose to camp on someone's land, including the Local Authority, or take up residence in someone's property you run the risk of arrest and a hefty fine so it is a good idea to check. The upside of the law is no squatters rights in Scotland.

Just a wee bit of advice from someone in the know in Argyll.

sparrks
19-03-2013, 00:24
It is on the POI list.

If you continue on the road (which is a single track dirt road) then you eventually cross another very small bridge. Just after this you will find another car park which is completely out of the way. Also on the POI list.

Looking at the coordinates the OP gave, they are for the Coach/car park for the Bridge of Orchy Hotel on the Main A82 road, reading your description it sounds like you were referring to the this car park 5631'5.26"N 446'16.58"W initially and then later possibly this one. 5632'13.49"N 448'50.48"W

Amethyst
19-03-2013, 08:22
When we did the West Highland Way the hotel was very welcoming encompassing everybody walking the Way including encouraging motorhomes to stop
on their carpark. Sadly things change and new owners appear to aspire to go upmarket and it appears they do not want to encourage "our" trade anymore....not upmarket enough for them!
Fortunately there are plenty of places up there that are still welcoming and that is where our pennies are spent.
The Drovers Inn is another one that did the same just above Loch Lomond.

Rob

johnmac185
19-03-2013, 09:59
Looking at the coordinates the OP gave, they are for the Coach/car park for the Bridge of Orchy Hotel on the Main A82 road, reading your description it sounds like you were referring to the this car park 5631'5.26"N 446'16.58"W initially and then later possibly this one. 5632'13.49"N 448'50.48"W

Hi sparrks,,,the co-ords i gave are for the coach/car park but it does not belong to the hotel as suggested, the hotel property includes the space in front and at the side adjoining the hotel,,hope i'm right,,,John

sparrks
19-03-2013, 12:28
Hi sparrks,,,the co-ords i gave are for the coach/car park but it does not belong to the hotel as suggested, the hotel property includes the space in front and at the side adjoining the hotel,,hope i'm right,,,John

That's interesting to know, I assumed, wrongly, that it was part of the Hotels ground.

Henrym
20-05-2013, 01:35
When we stopped at the Bridge of Orchy last week (good meal), we parked in the open area just over the bridge at 56.518074 -4.771142 There no parking space at the pin location (part of the tent camping areas); there used to be a small quarry more or less opposite the pin location, but it has been blocked; shame! Hotel is expanding, new chalet accommodation for a coach-load! You could alternatively park at the station, 56.516802 -4.764773, if parking by bridge is 'full'

james1508
20-05-2013, 06:04
When we stopped at the Bridge of Orchy last week (good meal), we parked in the open area just over the bridge at 56.518074 -4.771142 There no parking space at the pin location (part of the tent camping areas); there used to be a small quarry more or less opposite the pin location, but it has been blocked; shame! Hotel is expanding, new chalet accommodation for a coach-load! You could alternatively park at the station, 56.516802 -4.764773, if parking by bridge is 'full'

What a shame, used this place a few times. Having said that, are they legal signs or just the council making their own rules ?? As for the pub expanding, dont think they are to keen on motorhomes as I emailed them about the tap on the front of the pub asking if motorhome customers could use it . They replied no because they were about to build a disabled access ramp and didnt want it blocking. Didnt think this was a good reason as it only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tank !

Cheers

Henrym
20-05-2013, 07:55
What a shame, used this place a few times. Having said that, are they legal signs or just the council making their own rules ?? As for the pub expanding, dont think they are to keen on motorhomes as I emailed them about the tap on the front of the pub asking if motorhome customers could use it . They replied no because they were about to build a disabled access ramp and didnt want it blocking. Didnt think this was a good reason as it only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tank !

Cheers

a) There are no signs, just no physical possibility. Can't remember what; big stones or (at tent camping) fence and ground that would not take motorhome!
b) for tap, better to ask in person when you are there rather than email, which makes it sort of official.

Croftland1
20-05-2013, 11:29
The area just over the bridge at the bottom of the forest road, as used by Henrym, is an ideal place to stay. It's further from the noise of the road and it's next to the river, with a grass picnic area in-front on the river bank. It's only yards from the hotel in any case, so I wouldn't consider using the roadside / hotel-side car park.

james1508
20-05-2013, 12:08
The area just over the bridge at the bottom of the forest road, as used by Henrym, is an ideal place to stay. It's further from the noise of the road and it's next to the river, with a grass picnic area in-front on the river bank. It's only yards from the hotel in any case, so I wouldn't consider using the roadside / hotel-side car park.

56.518074 -4.771142 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/xasOT)

Is this not the spot Henrym is referring to as now closed ? Stayed there many times and was going to stop there in June as i found the Loch Lomond stop overs very noisy. Shame if it is closed , i did however manage to park my old Bongo a bit furter up a few years ago. Not much passing traffic so it was quiet enough.

14090 56.518074 -4.771142 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/ufw7a)

regards

James

magbrin
20-05-2013, 12:44
Can't comment on parking as we stopped in Glen Orchy on our way home from Glasgow on Saturday night. However we stopped at the pub for lunch, yesterday, and were disappointed.
It is expanding which may or may not be a good thing but it is losing its character - all the old photographs of the hotel cut off by snow have been replaced by oil paintings for sale, many of which are not related to the area - Isle of Eigg, mountains of the NW Highlands, etc.
The food was no better than average (although the wine was good). Our memories go back, with visits every few years since the early 70s, and the food has been always been good wholesome pub grub. Nothing dramatic, but honest good value sustaining food.
I am assuming that it has recently changed hands, I just hope that the changes that are being made suit everyone, not just the coach parties. It is used a lot by walkers, climbers and passing tourists - and there is nothing much else between Tyndrum & Glencoe/Ballachulish. I admit that I don't think I have ever been toThe Kingshouse Hotel. What is it like?

Alf
20-05-2013, 14:32

That spot is actually the West Highland Way footpath as you look up the hill with your back to the picnic area that is the WHW footpath going to Loch Lomond we have stayed here many times over the last 40 years either overnight when going north or for a quite lunch on our way home as its a nice place to walk our dogs down the road to the Inveroran Hotel Its a shame when good spots like this disappear mainly through over use by inconsiderate parking, NOT I might add by just motor caravans its mainly day trippers that leave loads of rubbish. I am getting too old now to confrunt these people as one look can lead to violence these days. Just a thought I might resort to photo's with car numbers.

Alf

james1508
20-05-2013, 17:09
Maybe worth a drive to the Inveroran Hotel for anyones thinking of parking near by . Whilst back packing the West Highland way a couple of years ago and using the designated spot for tents we popped into what has got to be one of the smallest bars in the UK ? great night and fond memories of a great holiday all be it tough and a very friendly bar! It is on the POI file.

James

56.532974,-4.805918

That spot is actually the West Highland Way footpath as you look up the hill with your back to the picnic area that is the WHW footpath going to Loch Lomond we have stayed here many times over the last 40 years either overnight when going north or for a quite lunch on our way home as its a nice place to walk our dogs down the road to the Inveroran Hotel Its a shame when good spots like this disappear mainly through over use by inconsiderate parking, NOT I might add by just motor caravans its mainly day trippers that leave loads of rubbish. I am getting too old now to confrunt these people as one look can lead to violence these days. Just a thought I might resort to photo's with car numbers.

Alf

Croftland1
21-05-2013, 21:28
56.518074 -4.771142 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/xasOT)

Is this not the spot Henrym is referring to as now closed ? Stayed there many times and was going to stop there in June as i found the Loch Lomond stop overs very noisy. Shame if it is closed , i did however manage to park my old Bongo a bit furter up a few years ago. Not much passing traffic so it was quiet enough.

14090 56.518074 -4.771142 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/ufw7a)

regards

James

From what I understand, this is the spot where Henrym stayed (the open area just over the bridge) as in your link. ie not closed or blocked

I think the tent camping area he refers to is on the other side of the river, right behind the hotel. This must be where the pin points to.

Alf
21-05-2013, 22:26
From what I understand, this is the spot where Henrym stayed (the open area just over the bridge) as in your link. ie not closed or blocked

I think the tent camping area he refers to is on the other side of the river, right behind the hotel. This must be where the pin points to.

Most of the tent camping in recent years is across from the parking spot in the grass area by the river where the picnic tables are, most seem to be backpackers walking the West Highland Way, who pitch their tents as and when the are tired or find a suitable spot to overnight, as such these seem to be more tolerated than wild campers in motor caravans. Although if you look at the Picnic area you will note a dozen or more Fire Pit Areas some of which are a yard or so across with loads of mess left on the picnic area

The grass area behind the Hotel, I think belongs to the Hotel but is used as a walk through from the car parking area the other side of the Hotel

Alf

james1508
13-06-2013, 19:57
update on the bridge of orchy: we are up and around Scotland at the moment , stopped at the Bridge of Orchy a week ago ( by the west highland way camp over the bridge ) no problems with the wild camping spot .

RoaminRog
13-06-2013, 20:49
Assuming you are travelling North on the A82, you can turn left immediately after the Bridge of Orchy Inn and after going over what I assume to be the original 'bridge', follow the road round to the right. This single track road goes past a pub and eventually over another bridge and there is quiet overnight parking after about 200 yards past the bridge. Don't be surprised when the herd of deer come grazing at dusk!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS