PDA

View Full Version : TOMTOM Truck 700 Edition - forsale

fairytooth
23-03-2013, 20:32
I have a superb TomTom with the very latest Truck 7000 (& motorhome) Maps of Europe for sale @ 150 +p&p (or collect)

It is a top of the rage GO920 loaded with all the latest mapping, POIs, Motorhome Aires, Campsites, Stellplatz, Speed/Red Light Cameras, etc.

It's in excellent condition. In its original box with all accessories and TMC (Traffic Congestion Data) aerial included.

This is a must have for anyone going to Europe for the first (or any) time or just for peace of mind anywhere.

In case you are not familiar with these, you simply enter your vehicle dimensions, weight, etc. in to the tomtom and it will avoid unsuitable narrow lanes, low bridges, dead ends and so on.

Satisfaction or your money back. Send me a PM if you want any more info.

Touringtheworld
24-03-2013, 19:36
Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that you can not use a device in France which warns of speed entrapment equipment.

I would have what you have for sale if the above were not true.

Can you clarify the situation please?

Thank you

fairytooth
24-03-2013, 20:06
Hi, thanks for the enquiry. Strictly speaking the normal speed camera locations are not permitted to be held on a satnav in France (or Switzerland). That said, many people ignore the law. As far as I know, no-one has ever been stopped by the gendarmerie and required to hand over a satnav for inspection.

Tomtom (the company) comply with the strict legal requirement by replacing the exact speedcam locations with another set of POIs called 'Danger Zones' which simply notify you that you are going somewhere near a speed camera. In my opinion the whole thing is a joke. The French create silly laws like these from time to time.

So, to answer your question I can supply you with the tomtom tailored to your preference. Speedcams, Danger Zones, the choice is yours.

PS The DVLC do not share our UK vehicle registrations wth the French so unless you are physically stopped by the French police you will not get a speeding ticket anyway. Strange but true.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Neckender
25-03-2013, 00:40
I bought a tom tom truck of Fairytooth about 3 years ago, best sat nav that I've owned, fairytooth updates it for me every year with all the necessary info I need, and if you become a full member he will load all the wildcamping pois as well for you.

John.

Sky
25-03-2013, 08:23
I bought one off Fairytooth too and would strongly recommend his service.

Re speeding tickets - even if you do get stopped for speeding and are forced to pay on the spot; if you're on UK plates you won't get any points. I know of someone here (I'm in France BTW) who has been stopped eighteen times (over the last five years) and paid €90.00 each time and just considers it a tax on his mad driving (he's on UK plates and has gained no points). :drive:

vivall
25-03-2013, 13:14
I have a superb TomTom with the very latest Truck 7000 (& motorhome) Maps of Europe for sale @ 150 +p&p (or collect)

It is a top of the rage GO920 loaded with all the latest mapping, POIs, Motorhome Aires, Campsites, Stellplatz, Speed/Red Light Cameras, etc.

It's in excellent condition. In its original box with all accessories and TMC (Traffic Congestion Data) aerial included.

This is a must have for anyone going to Europe for the first (or any) time or just for peace of mind anywhere.

In case you are not familiar with these, you simply enter your vehicle dimensions, weight, etc. in to the tomtom and it will avoid unsuitable narrow lanes, low bridges, dead ends and so on.

Satisfaction or your money back. Send me a PM if you want any more info.

Hi, My husband contacted you some time ago to which you kindly replied. He did not see your reply, which I have just found. This sat nav sounds exactly what we have been looking for. Is it still available, please let us know. many thanks. Vivlall

fairytooth
25-03-2013, 15:47
Hi, My husband contacted you some time ago to which you kindly replied. He did not see your reply, which I have just found. This sat nav sounds exactly what we have been looking for. Is it still available, please let us know. many thanks. Vivlall

Hi Vivall, Thanks for the enquiry, unfortunately that one has been snapped up but I have PM'd you about another.

Marthe
25-03-2013, 20:20
Hi Fairytooth,

I've just had my TomTom stolen from my car, which was in the local garage for repairs. Police response is that there is little chance of recovery, etc. I'm now looking to replace it and want the TomTom version for motorhomes so I can 'fit' down lanes, under bridges, and so on. I've just been reading this thread & I would like you to advise me on the service you offer; the top of the range Go920 sounds like what I'm looking for but ... can it be programmed so it 'knows' its a motorhome/van & therefore bigger, so routes need to calculate to make sure I will 'fit'? I like the sound of you programming it with the POI from Canalman & am interested in this & knowing if you also offer an updating service. I hope all of this makes sense :rolleyes2:

Looking forward to you explaining it all to me (technophobe alert) in easy words :egg:

fairytooth
25-03-2013, 20:38
Hi Fairytooth,

I've just had my TomTom stolen from my car, which was in the local garage for repairs. Police response is that there is little chance of recovery, etc. I'm now looking to replace it and want the TomTom version for motorhomes so I can 'fit' down lanes, under bridges, and so on. I've just been reading this thread & I would like you to advise me on the service you offer; the top of the range Go920 sounds like what I'm looking for but ... can it be programmed so it 'knows' its a motorhome/van & therefore bigger, so routes need to calculate to make sure I will 'fit'? I like the sound of you programming it with the POI from Canalman & am interested in this & knowing if you also offer an updating service. I hope all of this makes sense :rolleyes2:

Looking forward to you explaining it all to me (technophobe alert) in easy words :egg:

Thanks for the enquiry Marthe, I have PM'd you some information. :D

Lee
25-03-2013, 22:04
Another satisfied customer here. Went to France & Belgium for a few days last year and found it very helpful.

Sky
26-03-2013, 08:19
Anything that a van will not be able to negotiate easily will be well signposted far in advance

In an ideal world of course it would, but in real life that doesn't happen. Signs get moved, damaged, covered up by poorly trimmed hedges or never put up in the first place, so I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

A year ago, I never would have used a navigation device in a vehicle, but finding yourself stuck at the front of a queue when there is an unmarked height restriction and you have to get out and ask everyone behind you to back up so you can turn round is embarrassing. Luckily, this only happened to me once, but if it had been a width restriction on a narrow road, I wouldn't have been able to turn round.

I was a lorry driver for several years and heard countless stories of drivers screwing up and getting themselves into tight spots. On one occasion I had to help a London bus reverse out of a one way street in East London as he'd taken the wrong turn. The driver wouldn't move until the police had turned up - they were really annoyed with him because he had refused my help initially and had caused a huge traffic jam in the time it took for them to get there.

Obviously, it's your choice if you don't want to use one, but in my opinion; if there is a tool that will help you do a job more easily - you'd be a fool not to use it.

Deleted user 21925
26-03-2013, 08:22
In an ideal world of course it would, but in real life that doesn't happen. Signs get moved, damaged, covered up by poorly trimmed hedges or never put up in the first place, so I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

A year ago, I never would have used a navigation device in a vehicle, but finding yourself stuck at the front of a queue when there is an unmarked height restriction and you have to get out and ask everyone behind you to back up so you can turn round is embarrassing. Luckily, this only happened to me once, but if it had been a width restriction on a narrow road, I wouldn't have been able to turn round.

I was a lorry driver for several years and heard countless stories of drivers screwing up and getting themselves into tight spots. On one occasion I had to help a London bus reverse out of a one way street in East London as he'd taken the wrong turn. The driver wouldn't move until the police had turned up - they were really annoyed with him because he had refused my help and had caused a huge traffic jam in the time it took for them to get there.

Obviously, it's your choice if you don't want to use one, but in my opinion if there is a tool that will help you do a job more easily - you'd be a fool not to use it.

I agree, sometimes you can miss a sign if you are behind a large bus or lorry. Width restrictions are a real pain for me as a delivery driver, especially in London. Also if an ordinary GPS is used and you try and reroute around a restriction, it will often take you in a big circle back to the restriction again.

welshrarebit
26-03-2013, 08:35
Too true, a have a Tom tom one and a Snooper and the tom tom will always take you down a narrow lane as it sees a short cut through but our Snooper won't
I have a Snooper in the car and hubby follows behind in the mh with a tom tom, he is always being directed down a lane but he just follows me with the Snooper in front, long story but he just can't read tyre Snooper.

Sky
26-03-2013, 08:44
They are a great aid but I fear too many people have almost developed a blind faith in them.

There's no arguing with that - how's that saying go? "Stupidity is the most common element in the universe - after hydrogen." :lol-053:

Deleted user 21925
26-03-2013, 08:49
There's no arguing with that - how's that saying go? "Stupidity is the most common element in the universe - after hydrogen." :lol-053:

They need to be used sensibly. For example if I am driving from Cambridge to Leeds, I know my way to Leeds, what I don't know is how to find Acacia Avenue in Leeds and I don't want to buy a street map for every town I visit.

Neckender
26-03-2013, 19:17
[QUOTE=Flip Flap;295995] but quite honestly I would advise against the truck software. It's far too conservative and will cost you loads of diesel and you wil miss out on some of the most picturesque routes as well.QUOTE]

Like I said before I brought my tomtom truck from fairytooth, I told him what I needed and he advised me accordingly, I'v had no problems with it whatsoever, on my third year now with it and as far as I'm concerned it has taken me through some very picturesque routes through France. I tend to program it with no tolls, and no motorways then I just idle along.:drive:

John.

Neckender
26-03-2013, 19:40
So has mine, and for a great deal less shekels.

Just advising fellow wilders who by nature prefer not to spend money unneccessarily.

I reiterate, truck software is far too conservative, and as for a relatively small vehicle such as a campervan, well......

A bit prusumpsouse (sorry about the spelling) But you have no idea how many shekels I paid or how big my motorhome is.

John.

Neckender
26-03-2013, 20:36
And I care less, my posts are for others also. A bit presumptious of you thinking otherwise.

Your spelling is better than mine.

John.

francour
31-03-2013, 19:34
Hi
Hi if you are caught in france with sat nav speed cameras they can fine you 1000 and conferscate vehicle i would not chance it myself .Thanks

fairytooth
31-03-2013, 19:47
Hi
Hi if you are caught in france with sat nav speed cameras they can fine you 1000 and conferscate vehicle i would not chance it myself .Thanks

But I wonder if there is anyone here who has actually been fined anything. Come on, own up!

Evron
01-04-2013, 07:47

Satisfaction or your money back. Send me a PM if you want any more info. Hi Fairytooth,I have a couple of t/toms that need repairs.Am not sure how to pm people,could you email me "evron2@googlemail.com" many thanks Evron

John Thompson
01-04-2013, 08:19
It is possible to turn off the speed alerts on my Garmin (Proximity Alerts un-tick Speed Alerts). It still give a visual display of the speed limit as displayed on the road signs even with this turned off. It just doesn't ping in the area of a camera. Is this feature not available on a Tom Tom? It is the camera alerts that are illegal in France, not safety information.

Personally I do not use the camera alerts, even in the UK as I don't speed about in my motor-Home.

John

fairytooth
01-04-2013, 09:44
It is possible to turn off the speed alerts on my Garmin (Proximity Alerts un-tick Speed Alerts). It still give a visual display of the speed limit as displayed on the road signs even with this turned off. It just doesn't ping in the area of a camera. Is this feature not available on a Tom Tom? It is the camera alerts that are illegal in France, not safety information.

Personally I do not use the camera alerts, even in the UK as I don't speed about in my motor-Home.

John

For some years now it is has been strictly forbidden under article R413-15 of the French 'Code de la Route' (highway code) to have a speed camera detector in a car in France, regardless of whether or not it is being used.

Penalties can include fines of up to €1,500, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle.

Until recently this legislation didn't apply to satellite navigation or other GPS-based systems capable of displaying fixed speed camera locations as points of interest (PoI).

Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

TomTom officially now have 'Danger Zone' pois to replace speed camera pois and this is acceptable to the French. These are a little more 'generic' and don't exactly pinpoint the camera. Myself, I have some pois I call 'Lovely Picnic Spots' Strangely these always seem to be quite close to the camera locations . :dance:

John Thompson
02-04-2013, 05:56
For some years now it is has been strictly forbidden under article R413-15 of the French 'Code de la Route' (highway code) to have a speed camera detector in a car in France, regardless of whether or not it is being used.

Penalties can include fines of up to 1,500, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle.

Until recently this legislation didn't apply to satellite navigation or other GPS-based systems capable of displaying fixed speed camera locations as points of interest (PoI).

Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

TomTom officially now have 'Danger Zone' pois to replace speed camera pois and this is acceptable to the French. These are a little more 'generic' and don't exactly pinpoint the camera. Myself, I have some pois I call 'Lovely Picnic Spots' Strangely these always seem to be quite close to the camera locations . :dance:

If that is the case a "Rose by any other name smells the same" In other words no matter what you call it. If it is active to show the location of the cameras, it could be classed as such a device.

The producers of the software still include updates for France. If the option is turned off then the satvav system has not been extended to find the camera sites.

I do not bother to update this software that in included by the manufactures as standard on new devices. I do not find it to be of any use to me and my style of driving.

John

Brochloon
02-04-2013, 12:06
[QUOTE=Flip Flap;295995] but quite honestly I would advise against the truck software. It's far too conservative and will cost you loads of diesel and you wil miss out on some of the most picturesque routes as well.QUOTE]

Like I said before I brought my tomtom truck from fairytooth, I told him what I needed and he advised me accordingly, I'v had no problems with it whatsoever, on my third year now with it and as far as I'm concerned it has taken me through some very picturesque routes through France. I tend to program it with no tolls, and no motorways then I just idle along.:drive:

John.

Just had my Tom Tom upgraded with the truck software by Fairytooth. Tried it out over the weekend and am delighted with it. Excellent service at very reasonable cost. His new "Wilding Opportunities Alert" works a treat and is so helpful. Thanks again !

Teutone
02-04-2013, 12:22
I have a tomtom "normal" and a TomTom with truck software (well it's broken now)

I can RECOMMEND the truck software. I have driven with BOTH satnavs side by side and the car TomTom will get you into trouble if you are not careful.

-- If you don't like the truck routing, you can switch back to car routing.
-- you can create your OWN truck profile which will effect the routing. I have played with the dimensions a little bit till I found the routing
acceptable.
-- If you want to get to a destination without sightseeing, the truck software is your friend.
-- Nobody stops you from NOT using your satnav and drive by road signs (if you really have the time and patience....)

If you have the funds for the truck software, go for it. Saved me a lot of hassle.

tranivanman
02-04-2013, 14:47
I bought a tom tom truck of Fairytooth about 3 years ago, best sat nav that I've owned, fairytooth updates it for me every year with all the necessary info I need, and if you become a full member he will load all the wildcamping pois as well for you.

John.

I too have had a sat nav from fairytooth for about the same period and he updates mine as well, i would certainly recommend him.

Ricco
04-04-2013, 11:15
Hi Graham we brought a tomtom xl one off you & are very pleased with it,

Bargain Too:dance:

Many thanks, Ricco,

Ricco
04-04-2013, 12:18
I have one similar to this, works great, you might get it cheaper, just the 1st one I came across.

GPS Antenna for Tomtom GO 710, GO 720 GO 720 T, GO 910, GO 920, GO 920 T | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Antenna-for-Tomtom-GO-710-GO-720-GO-720-T-GO-910-GO-920-GO-920-T-/350746274118?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51aa1b6946#ht_2983wt_1088)

Many Thanks Flip Flap,

Ricco
04-04-2013, 12:23
Because of the overhang of the bed area on the Hymer i cant pick up a Satalite at All!!!!!!!!!

will that Antenna work on the inside of the wind screen?? or does it go Externally please?

Now Fixed Many thanks Fairtooth,,

Cheers Ricco,,

Ricco
04-04-2013, 12:34
Got Cha! Cheers,

Ricco,,

Ricco
04-04-2013, 14:01
Graham FairyTooth saves the day with his secret Fix!!:dance: thank you Buddy,

All the very Best Ricco,,

Deleted user 21925
05-04-2013, 09:55
Massive thanks to Fairytooth. Just received my Truck version within a few days of ordering from him. Lovely piece of kit with all accessories and leather case. Just been playing around with it, POI's already loaded, really, really impressed with the service and product. I will report back on the 'truck' facility when I have used it a while, but I have every faith in it!

Ricco
05-04-2013, 13:03
How Bloomin Good is Graham/fairytooth! I had a problem with the TOMTOM & rather than Graham saying Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! give it to me to fix for you, No! he talked me through a software issue & How to sort it i just updated as he said too, & all is Now good in the world!! thank you Graham Superstar You:banana:

Ricco,,,,,,,,,

Deleted user 21925
13-04-2013, 12:36
OK. I've now clocked up a couple of thousand miles with my new TomTom Truck, and I am happy to say that the truck software performs just fine. I've taken it to a couple of known width restrictions and it happily diverted me around them. I usually use the GPS in conjunction with a map so if I am unsure that the best route is not chosen then I can divert myself, but so far I have not had to do this.

Excellent!

Funky Farmer
13-04-2013, 12:59
OK. I've now clocked up a couple of thousand miles with my new TomTom Truck, and I am happy to say that the truck software performs just fine. I've taken it to a couple of known width restrictions and it happily diverted me around them. I usually use the GPS in conjunction with a map so if I am unsure that the best route is not chosen then I can divert myself, but so far I have not had to do this.

Excellent!

Do I need one Rob? :lol-053:

Deleted user 21925
13-04-2013, 13:01
Do I need one Rob? :lol-053:

You know it Pete. Get yer wallet out!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS