PDA

View Full Version : Bridge of Orchy West highlands

roifromnwales
20-03-2005, 20:21
Over the old bridge at Bridge of Orchy there is plenty of gravel for parking on. Stumps have recently appeared on the grassed area opposite the gravelled area, which I regularly used to camp on. If you feel like it drive on the back road for three miles to the Inveroran Hotel where you can stay either before the hotel or in the car park about 1/2 mile further on.

hendie
24-07-2005, 16:39
I used to camp there regularly throughout the 80's an 90's but haven't been back for a few years. I loved it but I had been told that in the last couple of years the Forestry Commission had blocked off all the available camping points.

just reread your post ~ are you talking about down in the glen itself or further on i.e. north from the hotel ?

stevek
21-08-2005, 20:25
Original post in Oct 2004 in the Inverness section.The camping spot I referred to was just over the Bridge at the Bridge of Orchy.I havent camped there for 2 years now ( tent camping ).Stumps had been put up stopping cars parking on the grassed area however the spot was still open for camping and space for cars opposite - and motorhomes !.The other spot was the Invoranon 3 miles down the road where there is a choice of spots for a motorhome ,before the pub or in the road end car park.You can also tent camp beside the bridge just past the pub.

stevek
21-08-2005, 20:28
Spelling mistake !.The pub /hotel is the Inveroran.

Paul-vw-california
08-12-2008, 13:14
Used this spot on several occasions, never had any issues.

Loads of places to pull up on the road signposted Glen Orchy.
But note that the lower stretches of the road can flood after rain (did do this year in October) upper stretches of the river near the hotel can flood but this takes loads of water.

Good spot about 12km down from the A86 - The Falls of Orchy, big pull in area just dont block the bridge.

Worth going down just for the views.

champstar
01-04-2009, 20:45
Stayed at gravelled area at Bridge of Orchy on sat night. Nice spot but not that much room for a few vans esp coachbuilts.....area is popular with with walkerson the west highland way...one poor soul put up a tent on Sat and it was freezing was going to give him a nice hot cuppa in the morning but he was up and away before I got out o my cozy bed!!!!!!

Rogerde
02-04-2009, 07:22
Several years ago, I stayed at Bridge of Orchy along the river (N56 31 08.5 W4 46 15.6) early June (!!) and had already a serious problem with midges.
It was a nice spring evening and I remember I had my dinner outside. (didn't last very long ...)
Midges are obviously due to the very wet environment.
Better check before you install yourself.
A couple of miles north there is plenty of dry upland.

Veel zwerfplezier.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS