PDA

View Full Version : New and looking forwards

Sand55
21-05-2013, 22:32
Hello there to everyone.
I am looking to buy a campervan asap, when I save enough and research the one best to suit myself, hubby and two dogs.
We have wanted one for ages, but , as with many, the cost is the biggest drawback, lol.
I have been advised that they are a drain on our savings, but we want to be able to go out for the day, week-end, or week, just to enjoy ourselves.
The way I look at it is, yes it is cheaper to go to B & B ' s but, there is not the same freedom. Therefore, a campervan is more like a very nice hobby, as well as somewhere to stay. By that I mean the cost is well worth it.
I look forwards to your forums, and help.

FULL TIMER
21-05-2013, 23:27
Hello and welcome to the fold, motorhoming is a great hobby or even lifestyle (well it is for us) and one of the best ways to get out and about and meet people and see places etc, it needn't cost the earth either, just be carefull what you look at especially if you are thinking along the lines of coachbuilt campers (beware of the dreaded damp), if you plan on doing a lot of wilding you are probably better off looking at panel van conversions depending on what you want you may even be able to use it as an everyday car, also don't forget to consider the ,maximum gross weights of vehicles as if you passed your test after Jan 97 I think it is you will be restricted to under 3500 kg. I don't think you would find B&B's much cheaper than staying in your own vehicle especially if you wild camp or even use the small 5 van sites known as CL's or CS's, and how many B&B's will take two dogs, I'm sure none would want to take my rottie. Don't forget if you need any advice or info there are plenty of us on here more than willing to help. Some of us even build our own campers so if you should decide to take that route again there will be plenty of help /advice available.

Smaug
22-05-2013, 09:00
Hi & welcome, like in many activities, you can pay as much or as little as you wish. But low cost means more hassle & work - however high cost doesn't mean a trouble free life either!

Think carefully about how you will use it before choosing. Swivel seats in the cab can mak a smaller van seem bigger, but we have a seperate cab area that the dog enjoys as "her own" with a pet bed on a seat that keeps her from under our feet or getting the habitation area hairy, wet muddy or smelly.

Small vans are better if it is your only form of transport & for mountain tracks, but even coachbuilts are easy enough to drive if you don't go too long in the body so tey can never fit in a parking space. Rear view camras make a huge difference to parking bigger vans in towns or supermarkets.

Cheapest are self-converted vans, but the standard can vary from awful to superb, & many are built to met very personal requirements, which can explain the low residual values. These days, money in the bank generates no interest so spending on an asset (even a depreciating one) can make good sense.

B&B will cost you £100 per weekend or £300pw minimum I guess, so for the cost of running a MH you could have 2 weeks & a couple of weekends of B&B (or perhaps 10 weekends & 3 weeks away in the van plus countless days out) It's a no-brainer if you use it & a waste of money if you don't.

MORGANTHEMOON
22-05-2013, 09:19
It's a great life but take your time chosing the van.
I purchased mine through Ebay but from a car sales and I am very pleased, but be careful of Ebay there are many scams.
Don't part with any money until you see it and are sure, also check who the actual owner is and there's no HP outstanding.

We are off to the music meet soon can't wait.

Sand55
22-05-2013, 11:47
Thanks to all for the welcome, and advise.
Not knowing much about campervans, it really does help.
I have seen in some advertisements, that the vehicle has an habitation check ( or something of the like ). Is this a legal requirement, and if so how often is it required ?
I have also seen some that say, the gas has been inspected. Any other legal things / safety rules I need to know ?

Aspire255
22-05-2013, 12:30
I maybe wrong and I stand to be corrected by those that know but I think a habitation check isnít a lawful requirement, it only gives the occupants a restful and peaceful nights sleep.

I bought my first van second hand and was very pleased with it until I met my fiancťe to be and then it wasnít quite right for our needs.
I then part exchanged it for a brand new van, that was great for a time but there were several hidden issues which I didnít consider at the time of buying it for cash.
Ten months later I was in our local showroom again looking to part exchange and spotted a van that all those issues I had with my last van sorted and so again I part exchanged it and again bought it for cash.
I Lost a lot of money on the deal, enough to buy a new car so please donít make my mistake and go and buy the first one you like the look of.
Look at as many as you can, try to find as many faults as you can and then ask yourself, can I live with them and for how long.
By the way Iím considering selling my van, I know this wonít go down well with the full members on here but Iím considering buying a static van in a Heaven park, to be used as a get away home from homeÖ

Aspire255

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS