PDA

View Full Version : idiot proof POI download

new hippys
10-06-2013, 07:48
hi guys n gals

we seem to be struggling with the POI download and more so opening it, it downloads ok I think but when I open it it looks almost encrypted, or poi`s listed but with the appearance they should be attatched to a map, only no map visible.

not sure if that makes sense or anyone can advise, maybe it the file I am opening it with?

any help welcome as we would love to get started on it.

regards

new hippys :)
:wacko:

oldish hippy
10-06-2013, 08:22
windows should open it double click on file and it should open when you put in password then find file and redo it again as it is double zipped then you should have the files on your pc 14689146911469214690
make a new fold er on desktop by right clicking and scrolled down to new then across to make new folder and and downloaded the poi file into it when you click poi download it it come up with the option of open save and cancel then click save and point it to the new folder on your desktop as it easier to find then close all window and open desktop folder and unzip

a hint for you when on the poi dowload page copy the username password into note pad and save that in new folder so you can cut and paste it into password box

The zip programme used was 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/

lotty
10-06-2013, 08:51
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12549-google-earth-poi-installation.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12527-wild-camping-map-poi-support.html

Take a look at these two threads, there maybe something in them to help you :)

new hippys
10-06-2013, 09:27
ok, cheers guys I think I am making some sort of progress, I am by all descriptions a novice on most thing computer related, I know enough to run my business....and that's it.

right so far, I have downloaded files. what I have I can only view as csv files through garmin. do I need to download google earth or autoroutee 2010.

the files I view are in what looks like a spreadsheet with longitude,latitude and area info on it. that's all I can see, is this correct? if so I have those. france csv.pub csv,tapcsv and wildcamp csv.

I think I was expecting some sort of map view with points marked on it. have patience....I m just an old fart.:sleep-040:

regards

NH

new hippys
10-06-2013, 09:32
ps

also, can I download it to my Samsung galaxy s3 or a tab?

NH

Admin
10-06-2013, 12:09
ps

also, can I download it to my Samsung galaxy s3 or a tab?

NH

You can use the POI files on these devices with Google Earth, this is a free download.

m1cxf
10-06-2013, 12:21
I am still trying to work out how to add the poi's to tomtom on my iphone. I have sorted it out on my tomtom one without any issues but still struggling with the phone.

Trevor

new hippys
10-06-2013, 15:03
well i have downloaded google earth and the files and now have a gazzilion pin marks all over the uk and france, so i am making progress i think maybe i should have read the instructions completely and not untill i got bored, as we intend to use it on some sort of mobile device, maybe a tablet (not sure kids will allow this ) i think what would have been helpfull is some sort of picture gallery so we know what we are looking for in the download.

:idea-007:

Diane1
05-07-2013, 14:27
Tee Hee, I've not managed to use my poi yet, i'm struggling too. omg. I got the same as that above, longitude/latitude. now completely stuck. there has to be something simpler for us female older ones. I am 50 now, lol. Stop expecting me to know how to do things.

Admin
05-07-2013, 14:47
The POI (point of interest) files only contain data. If you want to see them on a map you need to either use software like Google Earth or a device like a sat nav.

Google earth does not require google chrome, you can download Google earth free of charge for almost any device.

Try Here: Google Earth (http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earth/index.html)

Luckheart
05-07-2013, 14:51
well i have downloaded google earth and the files and now have a gazzilion pin marks all over the uk and france, so i am making progress i think maybe i should have read the instructions completely and not untill i got bored, as we intend to use it on some sort of mobile device, maybe a tablet (not sure kids will allow this ) i think what would have been helpfull is some sort of picture gallery so we know what we are looking for in the download.

:idea-007:

Pin marks are good, each one represents a WC spot. yes there are a lot, this too is good. If you zoom in to the area where you wish to stay, the pushpins (pin marks) are more manageable. If you roll your mouse over a pushpin it will expand slightly, when that happens, a single click on the mouse should make a dialogue box (white square with text in it) appear. Single click on the line that says "tinyurl" or similar and this will open google maps with a street view of the chosen pushpin location. From there you can move about and "look" at the location. When done, there is a box along the top somewhere that says "return to Google earth" and on clicking it that's what happens. Sorry if this is not exact but I do not have access to the poi stuff at work and my memory is not the best as I am an aging hippy. Hope it works man.:cool:

Diane1
05-07-2013, 15:01
There, one of us is giggling about it and another is almost in tears. Soooo, I've downloaded google earth, but having followed all instructions on here I just can't find how to link them. What is .KML I can't find it anywhere? I'm so pleased this uni grad isn't the only hopeless person on the earth. lol.

POI Admin
05-07-2013, 16:46
There, one of us is giggling about it and another is almost in tears. Soooo, I've downloaded google earth, but having followed all instructions on here I just can't find how to link them. What is .KML I can't find it anywhere? I'm so pleased this uni grad isn't the only hopeless person on the earth. lol.

You don't need to link anything if you have installed Google Earth successfully.

Assuming you're using a Windows PC, use Windows Explorer to locate the folder named Google Earth within the downloaded and unzipped POI files.

Finally double click on the appropriate file - Wild Camp, Pub Stop, Taps or France - and the Google Earth KML file should load and display all the pushpins ...

Good luck ...

trevskoda
08-07-2013, 12:16
Tee Hee, I've not managed to use my poi yet, i'm struggling too. omg. I got the same as that above, longitude/latitude. now completely stuck. there has to be something simpler for us female older ones. I am 50 now, lol. Stop expecting me to know how to do things.

why are people still using windows pdf its illegal they have been fined squillions for it ,we are obliged to use odf in europe
i have tried opening in linux ,but all i get is microsoft code,what sort of twats are still using this old vender lock in system,by the way those still using xp its being no longer supported april 2014,yes dead

Beemer
08-07-2013, 12:25
I am wondering if a video could me made of downloading the WC POIs onto different hardware/software programmes to assist the not so geeky IT peeps?
I could see that putting something on youtube may give too much away to the non members, but what about something that could be accessed via the website? :p

pamela
08-07-2013, 18:11
Snap I can't get them it's o difficult

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS