PDA

View Full Version : Mull

JED THE SPREAD
06-02-2008, 20:42
we wild camped in mull for a few nights last month. we felt we could camp anywere we fanced really and did. no body bothered us and i felt quite safe with our two year old son with us. hope its the same in the summer. i made a video too.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z172/isaacthespread/?action=view&current=scotlandvideo3.flv

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z172/isaacthespread/?action=view&current=scotlandvideo4.flv

jed

sundown
06-02-2008, 21:35
Hi jed, after reading your posts tonight,
everything else seems mundane
well done, go to the top of the class!

tresrikay
07-02-2008, 11:11
Thankyou Jed, Great seeing Mull in the winter, we were there summer 06 and had a great time favorite spot was Fionphort near Iona, did you get there? we didn't get to Calgary, maybe next time. I can only echo Nicks compliments.

hillwalker
07-02-2008, 15:28
brilliant video's jed, spot on mate:D

sammclouis
07-02-2008, 15:58
thats well cool...:cool::cool::cool:
loved looking at the video's and the music is well chillin...!!

swingsandroundabouts
07-02-2008, 19:52
thanks for that Jed, brought back memories of our 3 night stay on the 'official' wild camp area in summer 05. We had BBQ and sunbathing weather:D.

irenerobbie
29-02-2008, 22:32
anyone tried Tobermory at the "music festival" (last weekend in April) i saw one van with optics fitted to control the alcohol intake.

jpee
13-04-2009, 23:24
Just back from a sunny Easter weekend on Mull. Fidden campsite near Fionnaport was fantastic. Prices put up to 6 for an adult and 3 for a child. No surcharge for awnings. Toilets have been upgraded to what are now very nice purpose built buildings.

I found Calgary worth a visit as it is a beautiful bay but wouldn't overnight there again. Toilets not working, site was extremely crowded and every rule, which are not many and not restricting, was being broken. Noise, people actually chopping wood from live trees, lighting fires on the 'machair' (i use the word lightly). Dogs being allowed to run free and do what dogs do. However there are a few off the road areas suitable fro camping after a visit to the bay.

colin123
23-07-2009, 07:57
Just back from a sunny Easter weekend on Mull. Fidden campsite near Fionnaport was fantastic. Prices put up to 6 for an adult and 3 for a child. No surcharge for awnings. Toilets have been upgraded to what are now very nice purpose built buildings.

I found Calgary worth a visit as it is a beautiful bay but wouldn't overnight there again. Toilets not working, site was extremely crowded and every rule, which are not many and not restricting, was being broken. Noise, people actually chopping wood from live trees, lighting fires on the 'machair' (i use the word lightly). Dogs being allowed to run free and do what dogs do. However there are a few off the road areas suitable fro camping after a visit to the bay.

We had a recent visit to Mull and your report is spot on. Fidden was worth paying for, toilets and showers superb. Calgary was claustrophobic and we passed it by.

Fabulous spots for wildcamping on the road going southwest from Knock either side of the shore road. Firm ground, stunning view.

There were also good places off the Tobermory to Dervaig road.

Tap water available at Tobermory marina moorings at the end of the main public car park, near the red no entry signs. We noticed that showers were available at 2 a go in the newish marina building. Didn't need them but it all looked clean.

Tap still available at Bunessan toilets although not a screw on fixing.

Good to see no parking charges anywhere except close to the Iona ferry, but there was free parking 5 minutes walk away anyway. If I had a grizzle it would be the lack of laybys to be able to stop and admire the view on many of the roads.I don't like obstructing passing places (and don't) but plenty of people must do given the poliferation of police notices forbidding stopping. Perhaps that is enough indication of a need? Council, please take note.

Bondy1
28-09-2009, 19:06
Well im off up to Mull for the car rally next week and have asked about wild camping, It is frowned upon in the lay bye's but they say the police are very tolerent on most locations. We went up with two van's at easter and drove over the loch's from Tobermory to Dervaig and saw many great places to park up and admire the view for the night we then carried on to Calgary bay which as said on here before was very busy with caravans and tent's so we did'nt stay long. Hoping to stay over on Loch A Neal this year as the view are incredible.

bodach
28-09-2009, 20:13
I suspect you mean camping in passing places is frowned upon.Do not park in passing places they are just that-not laybys.You may well get done by the police and local traffic is not amused.

christine
28-09-2009, 21:35
I don't recall many laybys on Mull, as most of it is single track road. There were a couple on the road from Craignure to Salen, I think that's the only stretch that isn't single track. Loch Na Keal has plenty of places to pull off, whereas Loch Scridain doesn't.

Bondy1
29-09-2009, 15:20
I suspect you mean camping in passing places is frowned upon.Do not park in passing places they are just that-not laybys.You may well get done by the police and local traffic is not amused.

Yep that is exactly what i meant, Have been going up to the island for 12 years now and never get tired of the view's and the locals are great. Stayed on the shielings campsite at easter and can highly recommend the site which was not crowded and very clean. After looking at the rally schedule we will be staying near Dervaig on Friday night then off to Loch A Neal on Saturday. Have to say the police and locals are a bit more relaxed around rally time as a lot of the marshal's wild camp as it is very hard to get around the island with the road closures.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS