PDA

View Full Version : Midge in Scotland

Shockingdog
23-06-2013, 14:18
Planing a trip up the west coast of Scotland in the next few weeks.Can any member give me an update on the current midge situation? We have been told that if we stick to the coast we should not have to much trouble at this time of year. Comments please.
Thanks

Team Incredible
23-06-2013, 14:21
We were on the coast near St. Andrews this weekend and only a few midges about, only one bite all weekend. If you can park up somewhere with a breeze there will be none around

Carol

bodgerndog
23-06-2013, 17:49
The east coast is one thing, the west is entirely different. The midges are alive and well in many places already this year - in the hills and on the coast alike. We have had 2 barbecues plagued by them until we got a good reek going.:scared:

Still mornings and evenings are the worst. We use Smidge, it is way better than anything else - it has really only been on sale this year and many ourdoor workers, climbers and fishermen are using it and saying it really works. Skin So Soft is no good any more, it wears off very fast and the Deet-laden nasties are bad for your skin.

We use head nets, abailable in most outdoor stores, when it's really bad, and burn incense sticks around the camp site when sitting out. Lemon, eucalyptus and tea tree seem to work best.

Go prepared and you'll still have a great time. Often there's enough breeze to keep the wee buggers down but if there isn't...SMIDGE!!!

Enjoy your trip!:wave:

runnach
23-06-2013, 18:35
Hi Bodgie,

Where does one purchase this "Smidge" stuff from, please?

Our secrect weapon down your way, are certainly not nice wee beasties at all and, more than a match to their northen cousins :hammer:

sparrks
23-06-2013, 18:54
Open Midge Forcast (http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/home) and click on the "Store" tab or just click here (http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/store).

I'm sure it can be bought cheaper elsewhere though.

bodgerndog
23-06-2013, 19:06
Hi Bodgie,

Where does one purchase this "Smidge" stuff from, please?

Our secrect weapon down your way, are certainly not nice wee beasties at all and, more than a match to their northen cousins :hammer:

More and more of the outdoor clothing shops are stocking it runnach- you can even buy it in Spar in Gatehouse of Fleet, and they have it at the Visitor Centre at the WWT Caerlaverock.

Good link to Midgeforecast (http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/store) sparrks...that seems to be as cheap as I've seen it; shops are selling it at about 8 inc VAT. That's my only beef with that website: dont you hate it when they don't just show the price including VAT?

eoin82
16-07-2013, 19:15
Planing a trip up the west coast of Scotland in the next few weeks.Can any member give me an update on the current midge situation? We have been told that if we stick to the coast we should not have to much trouble at this time of year. Comments please.
Thanks

We are on the west coast near fort William (Kinlochleven) must say we have hardly had any midges that would bother you, changed days, good luck!

Vanterrier
29-07-2013, 10:50
We are on the west coast near fort William (Kinlochleven) must say we have hardly had any midges that would bother you, changed days, good luck!

And the Midge forecast shows this area as one of the worst at the minute... sorry to be so Cynical but why would you trust a forecast by the supplier of a midge cream ???... conflict of interests methinks ???

for what it is worth we were in Dumfries and Galloway (near Wigtown) this weekend and didnt see a single midge ! sat out until well after 9.30pm watching the sunset...

However, the same could not be said for Cleggs (Horseflies) - they were vicious on a walk through some fields and along a track, anywhere near tres and you were fair game to the evil little bu99ers !!!

K ;)

Bounce
29-07-2013, 12:13
However, the same could not be said for Cleggs (Horseflies) - they were vicious on a walk through some fields and along a track, anywhere near tres and you were fair game to the evil little bu99ers !!!

K ;)

Same at Derry Lodge, Linn of Dee near Braemar. Many cleggs about, especially near trees and water. We had to move on after a few minutes and half a dozen bites. Even as we cycled away the evil ones were still having a go at our legs. Next time we will need to remember the repellent instead of leaving it in the van. :(

B

Vanterrier
29-07-2013, 12:25
Deet works for Cleggs too apparently so if you use it for midges it "should" keep the Cleggs away too...

Derry Lodge eh? one of my favorite places in the whole world... we walked past there to the Lairgrhu and back by following the Dee past white bridge and back to Linn of Dee - long walk and our wee Border Terrier was completely goosed when we got back, but worth it... ahhh... thanks for that memory;)

K ;)

bodgerndog
29-07-2013, 12:26
And the Midge forecast shows this area as one of the worst at the minute... sorry to be so Cynical but why would you trust a forecast by the supplier of a midge cream ???... conflict of interests methinks ???

for what it is worth we were in Dumfries and Galloway (near Wigtown) this weekend and didnt see a single midge ! sat out until well after 9.30pm watching the sunset...

K ;)

The only time I've noticed midges lately is when the temperature dropped after rain and even then they were sparse. It's been a great no-midges year here so far - but then August - September is traditionally when they really get going.

The cleggs are dire - and so far nothing seems to repel them. Burning incense when you're sitting, or having it drifting its smoke across the van entrance, helps deter them a bit but they're sly b*****s. Great that they're so slow though...easy to blat after they've bitten you! :D

Bounce
29-07-2013, 13:06
Derry Lodge eh? one of my favorite places in the whole world... we walked past there to the Lairgrhu and back by following the Dee past white bridge and back to Linn of Dee - long walk and our wee Border Terrier was completely goosed when we got back, but worth it... ahhh... thanks for that memory;)

K ;)

Yes, it is a great place. We only live about 50 miles away so we are often in the Braemar area with our van and Saturday was a wonderful day for our cycling and walking in the warmth and sunshine. We have walked or cycled past Derry Lodge many times over the years and Saturday was the first time I can remember there being a clegg problem. Appeared to be very local and none noticed at lower levels, and no midgies anywhere as you would expect in the East. We sat out well into the evening at Braemar and no midgie bites.

Hope you visit again shortly, as you know the low and high level walks and views are amazing when you get the right weather.

B:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS