PDA

View Full Version : Cumbria Coast and West Lakes Locations required.

lotty
23-06-2013, 20:48
Hi folks,
Has anyone any locations for the West Coast of Cumbria from Bardsea up? I'm hoping to go next week for a week's tour. I've seen a few places on the poi's but have read on here about new bylaws in some places and wondered if anyone has been recently and had any problems or not?
I was wondering if Whitehaven, the Harbour carpark was still a good spot?

thanks
Lotty

Vanterrier
23-06-2013, 21:48
Maryport next to the marina gates is a good and safe spot. Its on the poi's

Enjoy

K

Vanterrier
24-06-2013, 08:41
heres a bit more info...

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/20382-maryport-advice.html

K ;)

lotty
24-06-2013, 16:51
heres a bit more info...

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cumbria/20382-maryport-advice.html

K ;)

Thank you :)

whitevanwoman
24-06-2013, 17:02
Sorry Lotty, I don't know the west coast at all so can't really help, although I seem to remember that Allonby is a nice spot with car parking right on the front, from driving through 10 years ago when going to visit a certain little black fluffy puppy who was born over that way at Mawbury. Don't know what the parking restrictions are but I think there are a few small car parking spots just off the main road, on the edge of the dunes along the stretch of coast road between Allonby and Mawbury. Probably unofficial dog walkers car parking spots but I think you'd be ok if it's outside of peak season.

christine
24-06-2013, 21:23
Stubb Place (Eskmeals) has no overnighting signs and has for a while.Try Walney Island, lots of places there.

Wooie1958
25-06-2013, 06:04
I've just checked the POI add in to Google Maps 4 ya & CR Stubb Place, is also next to Eskmeals Firing Range. Utterly spectacular if you're there. Don't be put off they only fire odd times during the day - you'll get a good nights kip quite safe. P.s. Drive in from the south Bootle (instead of from the north Waberthwaite) for 2 reasons i) if the tides in there's a wee stretch of road that can be underwater, if it's a spring high tide. The POI is absolutely safe though and ii) There's a bridge under the railway line which I can't rememebr what the head clearance is, just to be on the safe side. The beach is rocky as opposed to Sandy but its nice and peaceful unless they're firing their 500lb'ers :rolleyes2:

. Cheers Mul.

The bridge that you mention is 10`3" and is very clear on Google Earth / Maps / Street View.

We get under it fine, but, we are in a Low Profile.

Smaug
25-06-2013, 08:24
I could get under it if I took a good run at it.

:ninja:

Wooie1958
25-06-2013, 08:39
The bridge that you mention is 10`3" and is very clear on Google Earth / Maps / Street View.

We get under it fine, but, we are in a Low Profile.

This is it :-

lotty
25-06-2013, 21:00
I've just checked the POI add in to Google Maps 4 ya & CR Stubb Place, is also next to Eskmeals Firing Range. Utterly spectacular if you're there. Don't be put off they only fire odd times during the day - you'll get a good nights kip quite safe. P.s. Drive in from the south Bootle (instead of from the north Waberthwaite) for 2 reasons i) if the tides in there's a wee stretch of road that can be underwater, if it's a spring high tide. The POI is absolutely safe though and ii) There's a bridge under the railway line which I can't rememebr what the head clearance is, just to be on the safe side. The beach is rocky as opposed to Sandy but its nice and peaceful unless they're firing their 500lb'ers :rolleyes2:

Absolutely DO NOT go to the CR St Bees, the southern one. I've posted about this before down Seamill lane unless your vans less than 6ft tall you won't get under it. I've mentioned this b4 and it was put in from a wholley inappropriate google map grab. My download has it on but is should have gone depending how old your last download was. I don't download every month !

The Northern CU St Bees is ok, if not very discerete being on the large carpark by the beach, next to the campsite. Good view of the lifeboat station if they get a shout though. I used to RNLI there.

CU Whitehave (south) is ok but some of the carpark has been taken away due to coastal erosion and not so sure if there's parking restrictions these days. The North one may be more possible (don't know about current restrictions) round the harrbour / backside of Tesco's. Drive towards the Dry Boat yard and keep it on your left and left and left until you're in front of it.

Further north, South of Harringnton Pier isn't on the POI's but I know it's possible (restrictions pending) although it could be bit rough with yoooths (!) 'n' all.

All the Maryports and upto including Silloth I'd be happy with. If you've not got the POI's in google Earth some of this may not make sense, hopefully it does. There's also one missing for South Silloth to the south of the Harbour past the Golf club towards the dunes & shore but the gravelly roads a bit potholed these days. saying that we considered going to that one last time a couple of weeks ago since we'd been there a few weeks previous in the car and reackoned it was ok. If it's raining though you won't know how deep some of the puddles are though.

I've stuck to coastal info as opposed to Ennerdale, WastWater, Loweswater etc and the other inlands.

Well you did ask !!! Hope that helps. Cheers Mul.

Great stuff, thanks :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS