PDA

View Full Version : fionnport area, isle of mull

rach
30-06-2013, 21:45
Hi all, I'm heading over to mull next week and am trying to work out which is the best wild spot on route to the iona ferry? Preferably away from a road as I'll have my 3 year old daughter with me. Thanks

runnach
30-06-2013, 22:08
Hi all, I'm heading over to mull next week and am trying to work out which is the best wild spot on route to the iona ferry? Preferably away from a road as I'll have my 3 year old daughter with me. Thanks

Our very first trip out in our VW T25, we toured Mull, we spent the night at Columba Centre, but being an October, centre was closed for season, there appears to be an official TRO, possibly not do-able July?

You could try here https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=56.325489,-6.339103&spn=0.000876,0.002411&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=56.325379,-6.339523&panoid=OtkRtCcxiok3-SEQIJuc6g&cbp=12,12.32,,0,18.35 to right of memorial. Large school like building is a community hall (or was?) had bunk house facilities, I use to use facility when wreck hunting and clam diving. Futher down this road is beautifull Kintra, you could check it out too.

You will enjoy Iona, magical part of our world, I'm envious, have a great trip!!

Ste
30-06-2013, 23:43
Not really en route to Iona, but the Loch Na Keal poi's are good. Still close to the road, but not very busy, and most traffic is going slow anyway.

Btw, on Iona, if you follow the beach/road north from the ferry, you can enter the Abbey without paying through a stile

lotusanne
01-07-2013, 07:20
...and if all else fails there is a lovely campsite on a farm by the beach, very close to ferry, its is really lovely, stunning views right on waters edge with tiny islands dotted in front of you and cows wandering across to them! LOvely beaches and sunsets, you little girl would love it. Heres a link..Fidden Farm Campsite , Fionnaphort Campsites, Isle of Mull (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7227)

rach
01-07-2013, 09:31
Thanks folks! Having to stay on sites for most of our trip as my dad needs steady and constant electric for medical reasons but nothing with hook ups down that area so we're going to wild camp for one night!

runnach
01-07-2013, 09:50
Thanks folks! Having to stay on sites for most of our trip as my dad needs steady and constant electric for medical reasons but nothing with hook ups down that area so we're going to wild camp for one night!

I would give site owner a call, them islanders are very helpful, explain your circumstances and, if power can be made available for a small fee?

Have great trip.

rach
02-07-2013, 18:34
Thanks I did try that but unfortunately no they have no ability to supply power :(

runnach
02-07-2013, 19:45
Can you borrow/hire a small, silent running genne, not ideal, but maybe suffice to get you out the bit and, assuming you storage too?

Dive Tramp
02-07-2013, 19:46
Rach, you say you're going over to Mull shortly. Where are you going over from? What I'm asking is, "where are you based?" I may have a solution for your power requirements.
If you were local (ish) you could borrow one of my generators for your trip.

https://www.facebook.com/DiveTramp?ref=tn_tnmn

DT

Smaug
02-07-2013, 21:05
The car park for the ferry at Fionnport is a big field just off a side road on the left & a couple of hundred yards from the ferry terminal. No reason why you couldn't stop there the night & cross on the first ferry of the morning. There is a small lock-up garage there full of books, leave a donation for the RNLI & help yourself.

rach
02-07-2013, 21:27
Hi we're in the north east of England and heading up over night Wednesday. Thanks for the offer but I think we'll cope for 24 hours on 12v power.
Car park sounds good, there certainly seem to be plenty of places to choose from.

runnach
02-07-2013, 21:40
I would go for carpark, park way up back, if challenged, say you had a few at the Keel Row pub :cheers:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS