PDA

View Full Version : help in France please!

Jakeandsarah
13-07-2013, 21:42
Evening everybody, myself and Sarah are currently touring in northern France. Brittany region at the moment with plans to head down the west coast. Our main problem (not life threatening) is that we have a inverter in the van but it is not powerful enough to charge either my laptop or power the tv! We should have tested this before hand but I have a tendency to just go for these things without testing. My question is either does anyone know where we can purchase a inverter over here? Or more of a longshot does anyone over here have one for sale? We have looked in a couple of supermarkets for one and also a portable DVD player only to find the prices out of this world! So far we have stayed on a few aires but none with a constant electricity supply only 1 hour payment jobs. We prefer to wild and
Have power for lights and nessesitys but would really love to watch some tv now and again! Can anyone help us?? Thanks. Jake and Sarah.

onestop
13-07-2013, 22:01
You will find em at most filling stations with a shop cafe area for truckers but make sure you buy 12volt not 24 volt !! Enjoy your hols !! Tv not that important go buy another bottle of red !!

kingfisher1
13-07-2013, 22:08
Try the big DIY shops like brickolage I saw them in there last week

dave and mary
14-07-2013, 05:46
We never use an inverter for laptop, tv or anything, run them all of the 12v. May be worth looking for a place selling adapters, got one for my wife's lap top from a phone shop in Spain. :drive: :drive:

Tbear
14-07-2013, 06:26
Have you tried turning computer off and charging while you are driving?

12v TVs are fairly cheap.

Richard

shortcircuit
14-07-2013, 06:34
If you do consider laptop DC adapter please ensure it is specific to your laptop, which may then not be suitable for your other appliances. I modified a maplin multi plug adapter to run a Dell only to find the Dell plug has three connections and not just two so does not work. For your phones you can charge from cigarrete lighter via USB adapter which should be available from any phone shop and the likes of Carrefour whom may also have inverters.

snowbirds
14-07-2013, 09:12
Hi jakeandsarah,

Dump the tv and enjoy your holiday,you have the rest of the winter to watch it.:scared::bow::bow::hammer:

Snowbirds.

Evening everybody, myself and Sarah are currently touring in northern France. Brittany region at the moment with plans to head down the west coast. Our main problem (not life threatening) is that we have a inverter in the van but it is not powerful enough to charge either my laptop or power the tv! We should have tested this before hand but I have a tendency to just go for these things without testing. My question is either does anyone know where we can purchase a inverter over here? Or more of a longshot does anyone over here have one for sale? We have looked in a couple of supermarkets for one and also a portable DVD player only to find the prices out of this world! So far we have stayed on a few aires but none with a constant electricity supply only 1 hour payment jobs. We prefer to wild and
Have power for lights and nessesitys but would really love to watch some tv now and again! Can anyone help us?? Thanks. Jake and Sarah.

witzend
14-07-2013, 10:11
Hi J&S have you tried asking a French Man they can be help full if they understand you. There are a lot of camper van sales forecourts with shops in Brittany on the N12. I understand the need for the TV wouldn't like to be without it for to long

ian81
14-07-2013, 13:00
.....we are based in France and our inverter and all other 12v adapters to power things were purchased in the UK and even with postage still worked out cheaper than equivalents in France.
However if desperate try one of the many 'camping car' stores for an inverter.

markin
18-07-2013, 21:20
I understand the need for the TV wouldn't like to be without it for to long

I don't. We're off for a month tomorrow. The TV will be on for the Tour De France on Saturday when we take a Siesta on the way across France to the coast (Le Porge, beyond Bordeaux), possibly Sunday to see the result, then that'll be it. As a previous poster said, you've got all winter to watch TV.

Surfing, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, sunbathing, eating and just a little (honest!) drinking. Crack on. No time for TV.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS