PDA

View Full Version : Aldeburgh

Andy&Becks
28-03-2005, 11:38
Visited Aldeburgh this Easter Weekend, and found an amazing spot, on the south side of Aldeburgh town centre, past the yacht club and towards the old fort tower. Found a long line of campers/motorhomes parked up with the most idyll view out to sea, who had obviously camped there the night before. Could be a bit exposed in rougher weather. If only we knew - we parked up in the pay&display car park on the north side of town and risked a fine! But no probs encountered, luckily. :huh:

Cath & Gary
04-08-2006, 19:17
We've just got back from a weekend away and thought we'd try your recommendation of this place to park. Absolutely brilliant, right by the sea, lovely walks, quiet location and just a quick walk into the town. Will be going back with the kids, they can swim while we partake in a sip of wine!!!

library van
29-08-2006, 22:30
Hi you are all spot on with this site which is called Slaughden end.The bad news is Aldeburgh town council has got wise and if the local press is correct are putting up no parking signs. The trouble has all been caused by someone emptying a cassette toilet into the sea

maninahat
30-08-2006, 06:43
We're heading that way this weekend and were planning to stop there. We have alternatives just in case. Will let you know how we get on. (First time out, by the way - somewhere not too far from home to make sure everything's OK.)

maninahat
03-09-2006, 20:02
Hi, just got back from our first weekend out - fantastic - will tell you about it later and elsewhere. Just to say that we camped on the sea wall at Aldeburgh with no probs. No sign of signs (yet!).

If you're going there I'd suggest going right to the end, by the Martello Tower. There was a fair bit of activity at the yacht club quite late into the evening and starting quite early in the morning. There was also the refuse lorry "Attention...vehicle reversing......Attention ......vehicle reversing....etc..etc" which came about half way along (backwards) early in the morning.

This does mean that the walk back to the chippy is further, but it is worth it.

And what a fantastic sight to wake up to - the sun rising over the sea while the waves crash on the shingle and a fishing boat chugs by close to the shore.

Sorry if this is a bit OTT but it was our first night out in our first van and we LOVED it! :D

Nosha
26-10-2006, 18:24
We've just travelled up from Kent and also thought we would have a look - SUPERB, there was a motorhome there when we arrived and still there when we left 3 days later! But yes it is VERY exposed (Oct), we did move down to the last carpark going out on the Thorpeness road one night... 'No overnight camping' but no prob's apart from jealous dog walkers in the morning who in a 100yd long car park parked right next door and slammed every door on the car at 7:15am!! We can also recommend the Church Farm caravan park op' only £8/n or £10 with elec. The only sign we found was that ALL carparks were FREE until March 07!!!!! (But no cars with trailers or caravans allowed).

For a picture of our wild camp outside the fort - please see photo gallery 'Aldeburgh'

tacho free spirit
20-12-2006, 10:43
Stopped near the martello tower on 19 DEC on my first wild camping adventure.Great place to spend the night,no signs for no parking,only one other motorhome in sight,and a few fishermen braving the elements.(below 0 degrees).Unique in being able to see the sun go down over the river Alde and then rise next morning over the North sea.

cipro
20-12-2006, 20:02
Glad you enjoyed yourself for the first time in your mh. Yes it was good thinking not to travel to far when you first start to mh, I,ve been told some unfortunate tails of people venturing a little to far. However when you have confidence in your van and yourself europe is the place to go although british isles is loverly but councils are less friendly to wild camping. All the best and travel safe.

Nosha
06-03-2007, 18:19
Just got back from Aldeburgh again, introduced the York's to it, 4 or 5 other M/H's there... even if February! The fisherman in the Compass next door even gave us a freshly caught Codling to try - Superb! The place just gets better, will be back in a few weeks!!

Baldybaz
30-03-2007, 08:49
We stayed on the Aldeburgh "overnighter" last week and were the only motorhome there. Still no signs forbidding stopovers and very peaceful apart from the sound of the waves. Lovely spot - we will return!

blueboar
03-05-2007, 19:05
Does anybody know any good walks near the sea defence at Aldeburgh?

happybonzo
03-05-2007, 20:06
It's so nice that we can still use the place. It's one of the better places to go.

lady barnet
04-05-2007, 08:47
1. foot path alongside the river - starts between the boating club and the boat shop - it is waymarked - you can walk a good hour along there avoiding the cows - take bins with you as lots of birds - ie avocets etc to look at. Can cut back to civilisation at various points that lead you to the path that runs between the pump house(and eventually the high street) and leiston rd by the railway ph and the co-op.

2. cut through church farm campsite, follow deben way(rd name in campsite) to the end and then turn right onto the footpath signposted - a good hours walk again - nowhere near road through woods and views across the nature reserve - brings you out onto the golf course in thorpeness.

Also if you nip into the tourist guide centre next to 152 in the high street they sell cheap hand drawn footpath maps which are handy.

We love aldeburgh and are actually chopping in the camper van for a static in church farm campsite - ah thats the life of a suburban housewife.

blueboar
08-05-2007, 09:27
Thank you Lady Barnet, It sounds absolultey wonderfull.

Looking forward to the trip in a couple of weeks.

Thank you

bb

Nosha
25-06-2007, 20:07
Did Lady B's No:1 walk the other weekend - great!

The card shop in the High Street on the corner next to the bakers also sells local maps, info booklets and walk books - see you there SOON!!!

Baconsdozen
28-09-2007, 13:23
I've often stopped close to the sea at Aldebburgh,last time I stopped on the car park to the right as you drive down,stays up to 18 hours permitted,motorhomes are allowed.I saw one motorhome drive off leaving a load of rubbish in black bags behind,thats the sort of thing that gives everyone a bad name and got parking up stopped in other areas.
If you go in a local shop always mention what you're doing,we need all the friends we can get if ever the threat of banning motorhomes crops up.

reynolds29
20-11-2007, 11:17
Hi. I am a new member and now enjoying my self build fiat ducato. stayed at Aldeburgh sea front this weekend.
everything went well. Woke up to find the van was completely frozen up on the outside. This is a lovely place to wild camp and there was six other motorhomes parked with us...reynolds29

Nosha
26-11-2007, 19:21
Glad you liked it! The least we've seen is 3 m/homes and the most was 35 m/homes and a caravan, although a 'regular' said the max he'd seen was 42! That's more than some rallies I've been on!!!

Baconsdozen
23-08-2008, 12:02
This is a bit out of date,Aldeburgh is now closed to all motorhomes notices are everywhere.We visited Aug 2008 and there wasn't a single motorhome to be seen.talking to some friends who live there we were told its the people who.ve bought second homes that kicked up a fuss,only aggro I've ever seen there in the past was from a local who with his idiotic mother insisted on using the gravelled roadway as a race track.

JOHN WEST
09-09-2008, 18:33
yr what a change now its empty,i miss it, :cool::cool:

Nosha
09-09-2008, 18:58
Yes the signs are now up (Sept 7th 08) as well as signs banning motorhomes (only) from the sea wall there are also signs banning ANY overnight parking along the side of the sea bank op' the old boat yard!

There was only one VW camper chancing it on the wall, I for one will now be voting with my feet... or should that be wheels? If they don't want us, I don't want to spend my money there!!

Baconsdozen
30-10-2008, 11:55
The explanation given by Suffolk Costal Council for banning motorhomes is here.http://www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/news/slaughden0708.htm I'd dispute most of them.
I think its just a few people got the nark and chose the banning rather than discussing route.
Don't forget the petition to the PM before we're banned from going just about anywhere.

fredster
10-11-2008, 18:35
As someone relatively local to Aldeburgh I can't help but blame forums such as this for getting places such as Aldeburgh to introduce anti-camping legislation. When I first started going there years ago there were a handful of vans overnight-ing and a few fisherman's vehicles.

This year, just before the ban, you would be lucky to find a space down there because so many people had parked up on the wall for weekend (or longer) stays.

My advice to anyone that knows a nice spot is this. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. If you publicise it on forums such as this the crowds will pile in and it will be 'taken away', just like Aldeburgh has been. As sad as it is, you can't blame them really. Looking down the street from the town centre you used to get a lovely view of a row of old fisherman's cottages leading down to the boat yard, with the martello tower in the distance, the same view that has existed for at least a century. Scroll forward to the present. Add to that view thirty or more large campervans and the odd CARAVAN for feck's sake, practically obscuring the martello tower, and destroying the beauty of that view.

Its such a shame, this was one of the very last spots such as this in the area so please people, DON'T PUBLICISE THESE SPOTS. YOU ARE SPEEDING UP THE INEVITABLE: A TOTAL LACK OF WILD CAMPING SPOTS.

grath
10-11-2008, 18:37
This is the reason that some of us wanted a private mambers area, but we were out voted:eek:

grath
10-11-2008, 19:00
I am now very selective as to which wild sites that I photograph and publicise:o:D:o:D

Belgian
10-11-2008, 19:24
As someone relatively local to Aldeburgh I can't help but blame forums such as this for getting places such as Aldeburgh to introduce anti-camping legislation. When I first started going there years ago there were a handful of vans overnight-ing and a few fisherman's vehicles.

This year, just before the ban, you would be lucky to find a space down there because so many people had parked up on the wall for weekend (or longer) stays.

My advice to anyone that knows a nice spot is this. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. If you publicise it on forums such as this the crowds will pile in and it will be 'taken away', just like Aldeburgh has been. As sad as it is, you can't blame them really. Looking down the street from the town centre you used to get a lovely view of a row of old fisherman's cottages leading down to the boat yard, with the martello tower in the distance, the same view that has existed for at least a century. Scroll forward to the present. Add to that view thirty or more large campervans and the odd CARAVAN for feck's sake, practically obscuring the martello tower, and destroying the beauty of that view.

Its such a shame, this was one of the very last spots such as this in the area so please people, DON'T PUBLICISE THESE SPOTS. YOU ARE SPEEDING UP THE INEVITABLE: A TOTAL LACK OF WILD CAMPING SPOTS.

Hi Fredster, and welcome
You are right about that these excesses are causing a ban on overnighting. But it is not only this forum to blame for it. Too many motorhomers don’t know where to go and what to do. If they see 1 MH parked somewhere they do too, and before you know there is a crowd, and these are surely no members of this forum, because we are ‘wilders’ not ‘crowders’
It should be better the councils should limit the number of places (e.g 5) or the time (e.g. max48h).
Or have a look in Bretagne (France) where almost every village has designated MH-parkings, for they know to keep the balance and more: how much add-on are MH-rs for their local busines and the touristindustry in general.
As for myself I shall continue to post wilding places on the continent, for I know the members here will never take advantage.

Belgian
10-11-2008, 19:41
This is the reason that some of us wanted a private mambers area, but we were out voted:eek:
You are right, Graham
Maybe we should reconsider it.
In a way Fredster is right: there may be sneakers who take advantage of our postings, for it is open to all, even to the evil. As you say a member area could more or less stop this.
I dont think the 4500 members of this site are to blame for all the mischieves
on the planet.
If we where stopped to post wilding places; this site would have less or no meaning anymore (besides being a gathering of friends). And I shall deeply regret that.
I think it would be a great idea to ask Phil to reconsider the question and make wild-posting accesable for members only. Nobody looses, we all gain by it.
Leo

grath
10-11-2008, 19:53
You are right, Graham
Maybe we should reconsider it.
In a way Fredster is right: there may be sneakers who take advantage of our postings, for it is open to all, even to the evil. As you say a member area could more or less stop this.
I dont think the 4500 members of this site are to blame for all the mischieves
on the planet.
If we where stopped to post wilding places; this site would have less or no meaning anymore (besides being a gathering of friends). And I shall deeply regret that.
I think it would be a great idea to ask Phil to reconsider the question and make wild-posting accesable for members only. Nobody looses, we all gain by it.
Leo

Thanks, but it was a democratic vote and I think we were seriously out voted.:(
I think that Phil (admin) did not like the result and I think he said it would be final.:(
I have had a few sleeps since then and maybe someone can remember better:D

lenny
10-11-2008, 20:35
I think the Aldeburgh site is a one off situation that has been used for many years by far too many wilders at any one time, I assume it was used long before this forum was born so we can,t be blamed for It,s demise.
As for a re-vote I would say no, as Graham says we had a democratic vote and the result went the other way, so we have to respect that decision.

If I have a spot I wish to share, then I will use the PM route:rolleyes::eek:

Glentress was different as I knew that wilding is tolerated at this site after talking to the rangers that police the area;):)

grath
10-11-2008, 21:04
I think the Aldeburgh site is a one off situation that has been used for many years by far too many wilders at any one time, I assume it was used long before this forum was born so we can,t be blamed for It,s demise.
As for a re-vote I would say no, as Graham says we had a democratic vote and the result went the other way, so we have to respect that decision.

If I have a spot I wish to share, then I will use the PM route:rolleyes::eek:

Glentress was different as I knew that wilding is tolerated at this site after talking to the rangers that police the area;):)

I agree in full Lenny and my special places will remain special to my friends and I and anyone that I know for sure that I can trust.:D
They will not go on open forum (but I did say that when we had the vote):D

baloothebear
11-11-2008, 07:14
Sorry Lenny, I wish that Aldeburgh was a "one off" but Southwold has followed suit.

Baconsdozen
12-11-2008, 10:50
As far as I know no decision has been taken about Southwold.The first place on the east coast to ban motorhomes from a length of road was Yarmouth.The excuses were the old favourite of people emptying loos in the sea,but I was told by one of ther council employess that the real reason was some councillor used to take his dog there in the mornings and couldn't park and so got the nark.The first area they banned motorhomes from is now the new harbour so he won't be able to take his dog anyway,having said that the ban soon extended to other roads in yarmouth.
Don't forget the petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Overnights/ maybe,just maybe it will help.

stealthy luton
17-01-2009, 09:37
there are now signs to stop motorhomes going as far as the martello tower but as it is winter we went and fished anyway and had no problems i think it will be a lot differant in the summer season

betsy
18-01-2009, 18:21
Stealthy Luton

I too have fished this mark several times. When you last went did you overnight on the wall and if so was it at the weekend or during the week. It is a grand place and would like to visit/ fish and stay again.

Thanks for any information
Regards
Colin

Baconsdozen
20-01-2009, 12:28
Apparently the police are being asked to ensure the signs are obeyed,nine vehicles are said to have been prosecuted so far.
I'm still hoping some councils will have a change of heart,Southwold are debating a ban as of now.Meanwhile the petion to the PM is still running....http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Overnights/

Baconsdozen
03-03-2009, 12:25
In the local press today (3rd march) there are reports of a £1,000,000 Ferrari getting vandalsied in Aldeburgh town centre.
Can't blame motorhomes for that can they?.

Nosha
03-03-2009, 18:38
I bet a motorhome hit it with his mirrors squeezing past!!!!!!!!!

DRS
04-03-2009, 22:12
Hope they enjoyed the view.

messenger 2.5td
04-03-2009, 23:10
In the local press today (3rd march) there are reports of a £1,000,000 Ferrari getting vandalsied in Aldeburgh town centre.
Can't blame motorhomes for that can they?.

In tuesdays Daily Express they had this story apparently the Ferrari belonged to Jay kay,singer with Jamaraqui(ex squeeze of Ulrika Johnson)....................................Sorry just having a moment there:D:D;):eek:a chef from the hotel where he was staying has been charged by the police with criminal damage,Andy

Baconsdozen
05-03-2009, 13:20
I wonder if the excessive publicity of what was basically vandalism was because of.......
1,The owner is a singer that some people might have heard of..or
2,The car is expensive (£30,000 worth of damage and its only a couple of windows)..or
3,Apart from all the excitement of banning motorhomes this is the only newsworthy item to come out of Aldburgh.

DRS
17-05-2009, 20:35
Checked out Aldeburgh yesterday Motorhome parking is still permitted in the lower carpark outside the yacht club. It is limited to max of 18 hours at a time so fine for an overnight stop.

Ltee28
13-06-2009, 22:19
After spending many nights overlooking the sea at Aldeburgh -it was becoming a family tradition to watch the wonderful new years firework display from the comfort of the camper with such a brilliant atmosphere generated from campers and fishermen alike. Recently (May '09) I took the oportunity to visit the town again and saw a complete lack of camping folk. Needless to say my wife and I left Aldeburgh straight away. Surely the town must be worse off for the ban as I'm sure campers added some much needed revenue- probably enough to repair that pot hole bound track! Regarding the casette toilet issue-whilst it's appalling to empty one into the sea, I'm sure the town has emptied it's own waste into the briny for many years?! Without the overnight stop there is little to recommend Aldeburgh (unless you fancy waiting thirty minutes for chips)- Felixstowe or Southwold have much more to offer the visitor. I suggest we vote with our wheels and avoid the place-they are obviously happy enough without our custom!

Baconsdozen
15-07-2009, 11:50
Whilst Southwold might have more to offer the motorhome owner it too now has a ban on them stopping there.
The local press and radio gave a fair bit of publicity to the process of introducing this ban and the petition I posted on the No 10 web site was quoted a few times and I diid a couple of interviews(many thanks to all those that signed the petition by the way).I like to think that as a result the original proposals were somewhat watered down although I'm still sad that even a partial ban has been implemented.
I would like to congratulate the traders in Aldburgh and Southwold.I own a tool store in lowestoft and in the present climate especially couldn't care less if customers arrive by motorhome,in a bus or on a pogo stick.The traders in the other places have been noticeable by their abscence in speaking up at all,obviously they've found a way of bucking the recession,they must have if they can turn groups of potential customers away from their stores.
The only people who gain in the long run are the second home owners aand minor tv personalities who don't have to look at the riff raff whilst they lord it over the locals for a couple of weeks in the year.
Yippee for them.

freedom1
18-07-2009, 09:38
Any up to date info on Aldeburgh please.
New at Wilding and need some reassurance.

SteveJ
07-08-2009, 10:36
I was touring Suffolk and Norfolk for the last couple of weeks. Having toured all over the mainland UK I can honestly say I have never met a more motor-home unfriendly county than Suffolk. "No Motorhomes" signs are everywhere, most appear to have been added recently as they are additional stickers added to the car park signs). THis even applied to non-sensical places such big open fields behind the beaches where eveyone else parks for £2 all day and visits the beach. It doesn't seem to matter that we don't take up more than a standard car space, the mere fact we are in a "motorhome" means we were turned away almost everywhere. We are not talking about "No Overnighting", just parking for a few hours to play on the beach. I just don't understand the total parking ban, and none of the parking attendants (who were polite and appologetic) could give a reason for it.

Woodbridge was terrible as well. Motorhomes banned from almost all car parks in the town except 2 further out, and no designated motorhome spaces in these car parks so unless you were there early they are all taken by cars.

Regarding Albeburgh specifically... the "NO Motorhomes" signs are very prominent. Yes you can still overnight for 18 hours beside the yacht club but this is an unattractive spot, a long way from the town down a very rough and pot-holed track. The town and pebble beach just aren't worth the effort.

For a nice blue-flag beech with motorhome friendly car parking (and a seperate dog-friendly area of the beach as well) I was impressed with Sea Palling in Norfolk. No overnights allowed but after being turned away from even parking at so many locations it was nice to find a good beech with no unfathomable objection to me parking a small Motororhome!

Let hope this irrational behaviour does not spread across the UK. otherwise I shall be spending most of my holidays touring in Europe in future. Needless to say I will never be going back to Norfolk or Suffolk in future, thare are far nicer and friendlier places to visit.

lebesset
07-08-2009, 13:18
for those with an interest in such matters just to say that JK was at the le mans 24 hours in his enzo ferrari and it is again looking pristine !
he said he drove it all over europe last summer without problems but in aldburgh ???
really nice guy , just another petrolhead

jayeastanglia
13-08-2009, 16:39
went for a drive along the east coast yesterday aldburgh has 2 big signs by the fort now saying no motorhomes overnight..yet the fair is allowed to stay at the beggining of the car park..

bigtrev8xl
13-08-2009, 18:57
went for a drive along the east coast yesterday aldburgh has 2 big signs by the fort now saying no motorhomes overnight..yet the fair is allowed to stay at the beggining of the car park..

What you have to remember is, that you are dealing with here is “Suffolk” people , think farmers “GET OFF MY LAND” mentality.

Cheers Big Trev.
Soon to be moving from Suffolk back to Essex,

Baconsdozen
14-08-2009, 12:42
I doubt it has much to do with famers,more to do with a load of snobs and second home owners who for some reason seem to be able to get the councils to stick up signs banning motorhomes rather than try and arrive at less draconian solutions.
I remember some smartly dressed old biddy whos silly little dog made a nusiance of itself pestering and snapping at my dogs.I politely asked her if she'd control hers or at least put it on a lead as mine were."I can do as I like" she replied "I live here I'm not a xxxxxxx visitor".
The same people dreamt up stories of bonfires and people emptying loos in the sea so they could keep Aldburgh what it is,a snobs paradise.They all deserve each other.

bigtrev8xl
14-08-2009, 13:59
I doubt it has much to do with famers,more to do with a load of snobs and second home owners who for some reason seem to be able to get the councils to stick up signs banning motorhomes rather than try and arrive at less draconian solutions.
I remember some smartly dressed old biddy whos silly little dog made a nusiance of itself pestering and snapping at my dogs.I politely asked her if she'd control hers or at least put it on a lead as mine were."I can do as I like" she replied "I live here I'm not a xxxxxxx visitor".
The same people dreamt up stories of bonfires and people emptying loos in the sea so they could keep Aldburgh what it is,a snobs paradise.They all deserve each other.

I have heard on the grapevine they are changing the name to "Chelsea on Sea"

Big Trev

jayeastanglia
20-08-2009, 07:44
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/jaycroker/P120809_1610.jpg
the sign at aldburgh

peppers
20-08-2009, 16:24
the sign at aldburgh

my highway code does not recognize this sign

jayeastanglia
20-08-2009, 18:57
the land is owned by suffolk coastal not highways agency..hats why the sign isnt in highway code..

AndyC
20-08-2009, 21:50
As far as I'm aware there is no such thing in law as a 'motorised caravan'.

AndyC

jogguk
20-08-2009, 23:01
the sign at aldburgh

I am amazed that things like this don't contravene the Disabled Persons access rights.

If a beach has a dog ban then a guide dog is exempt. Lots of disabled people have converted M/H's for various reasons I feel disgusted and saddened that less fortunate citizens than myself may be denied a simple thing like a nice view. There should be an exemption.

John

Baconsdozen
29-03-2010, 11:24
What is it with motorhome bans?.
The stories of loo emptying and bonfires are twaddle,I think the second home owners in Aldburgh simply don't want anyone to enjoy anything,they'd probably ban all visitors if they could.The trouble is that this narrow minded petty attitude isn't confined to Aldburgh.
I'm convinced its jealousy,people who live in a very structured narrow little world and so envious of anyone doing something they can't understand that they feel they have to ban it.You can imagine them twitching the curtains, working themselves up into a frazzle because the rabble in motorhomes are enjoying the same view of the sea as they are.

jayeastanglia
30-03-2010, 19:35
I have had a thought looking at my pic of the sign..it dont say anything about caravans parked there..and the circle sign at the top is just MH then the lower sign says commercial £200 fine....I did email the local council but just got fobbed off..wild camp meet anyone???

Belgian
30-03-2010, 19:58
The sign sure is illegal; doesn't exist in the traffic code. :mad:
Fines could be illegal too: discriminating :mad:
Could you imagine some nutty major could prohibit red cars in his town ?
No of course, but here we have basicly the same ! :eek:
French cities have been prosecuted and condemned for such things: doesn't comply with EU rules :eek:

Baconsdozen
31-03-2010, 11:24
Good point,under EU law (I hate the very idea but we might as well make good use of it) isn't this silly sign discriminatory?.

jayeastanglia
01-04-2010, 13:58
have sent a new email off to the local council and waverney district doubt i will get a reply back till late next week...

Baconsdozen
06-04-2010, 10:32
As far as I'm aware this is down to Suffolk Costal Council.
They are the people responsible for enforcing,and presumably dreaming up the idea in the first place.

jayeastanglia
06-04-2010, 12:12
yep them as well..hopefully one of the councils will own up as soon as i get a reply i will post it up..

jayeastanglia
06-04-2010, 16:32
I got a reply whats written below is copyied and pasted direct from my email address.

Dear Mr

The Council's authority to provide and operate parking places for use by the public (including designating and control of permitted and non-permitted vehicles) is provided by its Off-Street Parking Places Order 2008 using powers under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

The sign to which you refer is an advisory sign in a Council owned Off-Street Parking Place, the land is not Public Highway. As the sign is not on highway it does not need to comply with The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 or the Highway Code.

Regards

Martin Gardiner
Engineering Officer
Suffolk Coastal Services Ltd.
Martin.Gardiner@SuffolkCoastal.gov.uk

Nosha
06-04-2010, 18:55
So if it's NOT public highway, but as it's been open to the public for more than 365 days can the signs be enforced???????????

Of course you can still park in the carpark down by the sailing club, but it's not the same, and as they don't want me; they're not having my money!!

jayeastanglia
07-04-2010, 06:03
will ask on police forum then..Might be a cival matter then..

jayeastanglia
08-04-2010, 20:44
got a reply from council ..I asked why is the sign where it is and are caravans allowed to park there..this is the reply..

There was an issue with the number of Motorised Caravans that were using the Seawall. Many of these were large vehicles and detrimental to its surface and structure. Many would also stay overnight and some unfortunately would empty the dirty water from the washing and toilet facilities before departing. Although not permitted inaccordance with the Council's parking Order, Caravans, have not to date ever been an issue.

Regards

Martin Gardiner

Baconsdozen
06-05-2010, 09:41
Ah,the old emptying toilets and dirty water issue.
A load of tosh,I stayed there many times and never saw that happen.The real reason is that a load of second home owners objected to the motorhomes staying there and as they had some pals on the council a ban soon followed.

bastonjock
06-05-2010, 12:08
Have you seen those new rechargeable disc cutters?
wonder how long it would take one to cut through a road sign pole?
No sign = No fine

once saw an irate builder cut about 20 parking meters down,we parked there for months for free:D

jayeastanglia
16-08-2010, 21:41
avoid the area for the next few days..A big group of travellors have set up camp just outside the town..
Also there was a talk in today on radio suffolk all about MH on the sea wall..the council chap said it was due to the weight of vehicles on the sea wall now..

Baconsdozen
21-08-2010, 16:38
Weight of the vehicles on the sea wall.
A load of old piffle,they just don't want motorhomes,brings the tone of the place down don't you know,end of story.

1807truckman
06-04-2013, 13:41
We've been going to Aldeburgh for many years, and have found that most of the littering on the beach is after the anglers have left, we've never seen any motorhomers emptying toilets in the sea or waste water, we still go and park by the yatch club at night and in the car park during the day.

leewilson78
13-10-2016, 20:24

So they won't allow campers on the sea front, however, there is a car park yards away that is free.

POI Admin
14-10-2016, 00:22

So they won't allow campers on the sea front, however, there is a car park yards away that is free.

You will see that the car park sign refers to the Off Street Parking Places Order. These orders invariably prohibit sleeping, camping, cooking and eating ...

So you may be served with a Penalty Charge Notice in the car park too!

leewilson78
14-10-2016, 20:19
Didn't know that but cheers for the heads up

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS