PDA

View Full Version : Small gas bottle

carol
29-07-2013, 16:00
Don't know what's the smallest size but looking for a small red gas bottle. Anybody?

Tbear
29-07-2013, 16:40
Don't know what's the smallest size but looking for a small red gas bottle. Anybody?

Try your local council dump. Have a fiver in your hand and your sweetest smile on your face. Jobsworth will refuse to sell them but Mr Helpful will find you one with a bit of gas in.

Richard

Merlin59
29-07-2013, 23:19

I've got one I took out of the caravan I used as the donor for my camper. It's yours if you want to come to North Wiltshire and pick it up! :)

carol
29-07-2013, 23:31
Many thanks for the offer. I'm in West Yorkshire so it would be a trek! Out of interest, what size is it? I've very limited space so looking for the smallest possible as a back up when I run out.

oldish hippy
30-07-2013, 07:13
I've got one I took out of the caravan I used as the donor for my camper. It's yours if you want to come to North Wiltshire and pick it up! :)

Many thanks for the offer. I'm in West Yorkshire so it would be a trek! Out of interest, what size is it? I've very limited space so looking for the smallest possible as a back up when I run out.

carol getting it not a problem just post on here and no doubt we can get it north eventually with a pass it on post we have done in the past with kims battery and the other battery and the gas fire that jess had

yorkieowl
30-07-2013, 07:24

Hi Carol, we should have a small one you can have, if its blue you should be able to swap it for red, whereabouts in w.yorks are you, we're at batley but not at home til Wed, will check soon as home, pm me with your. number if interested. Sue

Wind Dancer
30-07-2013, 07:28
I think 4.5kg is the smallest size, we call it a 'wee dumpy'.
I can fit one in one of my cupboards and carry it as a spare when I think I'm getting low.

They are usually easy to source. Try your local 'freecycle' group too.

Ems
30-07-2013, 08:08
With all this talk of gas bottles I'm after a 4.5kg butane one (Blue)! I just missed one on fleabay for 2! doh If anyone has one lurking in there shed I'd happily give it a home :lol-053:

Sorry Carol, I can't help you with a gas bottle but look on ebay, there are loads for under 10, some with some gas in. I'm just holding out for a local one.

Wind Dancer
30-07-2013, 08:13
Ah yes, 4.5kg is the small one.

ems why do you not use propane? If you come camping with the Southern Frosties in the winter you'll need it! :lol-053:

Ems
30-07-2013, 08:20
It came with a blue bottle so thought that was what it is supposed to have! Do I not have to mess about with regulators and stuff to change over! I'm a bit new to gas so thought it best to stick with whats in there for now!

oldish hippy
30-07-2013, 08:26
ems it is easy enough to change over and there was a blue bottle on here personally irather change over at least you know your regulator is new and with the one igot it is a hand wheel so no spanner needed and if you look at the gas hose it should have a date on ichanged mine over to new hose as well and mark did it for me as icould not bend over and push fit as my back wasnt good and it only took two mins at shustoke

Wind Dancer
30-07-2013, 08:30
Having seen what you are capable of doing with your van you'll have NO problem at all!

Yes it requires a different regulator, but that's easy done. When I had my caravan I went from blue to red, and ended up switching back and forth if I ran out of one and only had the other.

Not sure what the regulations are regarding it, and I know you would need to be sure there are no leaks, but I don't know how likely that would be to get them if the the clip is tightened up fully.

I get my gas from a camping shop, and they would change the regulator if I asked them.

Wind Dancer
30-07-2013, 08:32
ems it is easy enough to change over and there was a blue bottle on here personally irather change over at least you know your regulator is new and with the one igot it is a hand wheel so no spanner needed and if you look at the gas hose it should have a date on ichanged mine over to new hose as well and mark did it for me as icould not bend over and push fit as my back wasnt good and it only took two mins at shustoke

Yes, the quality of the hose is main concern.

oldish hippy
30-07-2013, 08:50
Having seen what you are capable of doing with your van you'll have NO problem at all!

Yes it requires a different regulator, but that's easy done. When I had my caravan I went from blue to red, and ended up switching back and forth if I ran out of one and only had the other.

Not sure what the regulations are regarding it, and I know you would need to be sure there are no leaks, but I don't know how likely that would be to get them if the the clip is tightened up fully.

I get my gas from a camping shop, and they would change the regulator if I asked them.

washing up liquid in water wet hose connection look for bubbles make decent strength of washiing up liquid to water

Ems
30-07-2013, 09:05
I'll have to look into it, I might as well use up the gas that came with the van first though. Thanks for the advice.

carol
30-07-2013, 18:10
Hi Carol, we should have a small one you can have, if its blue you should be able to swap it for red, whereabouts in w.yorks are you, we're at batley but not at home til Wed, will check soon as home, pm me with your. number if interested. Sue

Hi Sue I'm in Bradford. Do they swap blue for red?

yorkieowl
30-07-2013, 23:12
Hi Sue I'm in Bradford. Do they swap blue for red?
yes,
Cylinder Exchange Policy | Calor Gas (http://www.calor.co.uk/customer-services/faqs/general-cylinder-queries/cylinder-exchange-policy/)
will have a look tomorrow. and see what sizes I have.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS