PDA

View Full Version : Machrihanish

Ginge n Bumpkin
11-08-2013, 20:40
Can anybody recommend a nice spot to stay near Machrihanish please? We're looking for some overnight spots if anyone can help

Gee
11-08-2013, 20:53
Hi, Overnight spots can usually be found quite easily as you drive around. If you become a full member you will have access to the wildcamp POI file with over 5000 spots that you can stick on your satnav or see on google earth. Well worth the joining fee.

chrisinbrighton
11-08-2013, 21:04
I'd never heard of it,so googled it it looks beautiful beaches ect.I must admit I do like scotland

runnach
11-08-2013, 21:11
When NATO base was there, twas a busy place, had to sweep the runway, as me, and a few others, were bad cadets, caught on the :cheers: :lol-053:

Also use to watch the US Navy Seals flown approx 1 mile out to sea, then swim back to those beautiful beaches, we stood in a cold dark westerly wind with lamps to guide them in. All because we had a few beers!

I need to go back there and reminisce!

Ginge n Bumpkin
11-08-2013, 21:37
Thanks Gee.

m1cxf
12-08-2013, 15:39
My wife spent quite some time there (ex RAF) and suggests just ask any farmer as most are very friendly. We would love to go up there, for a bit of reminiscing but alas my spinal injury may just throw a spanner in the works!

TJ

GeoffB
12-08-2013, 17:44
Celtic Bagpipe Music - Mull of Kintyre - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWtrk7ReiPY)

I was sent there on a reinforcement exercise with the RAF Regt in 1974; to practice protecting the US Navy's nukes. Longest runway in the country, and smallest mess rooms too, apparently based on ship cabins.

No doubt it's derelict now, and probably no longer a master diversion airfield, thanks to Cameron's defence cuts.

maureenandtom
12-08-2013, 20:42
Can anybody recommend a nice spot to stay near Machrihanish please? We're looking for some overnight spots if anyone can help

Good old Machrihanish. I did three tours there totallimg pretty well ten years. I'm a Teuchtar by adoption.

When I was there you could have stayed overnight pretty well anywhere that looked ok and I don't think that will have changed. The coast road from Campbeltown to Southend had a wealth of beautiful places to stop undisturbed and I'm sure it's the same now.

The A83 at Rest and Be Thankful is forever being closed due to landslides though there was talk of re-opening the (very) old road for use during these closures.

Celtic Bagpipe Music - Mull of Kintyre - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWtrk7ReiPY)

I was sent there on a reinforcement exercise with the RAF Regt in 1974; to practice protecting the US Navy's nukes. Longest runway in the country, and smallest mess rooms too, apparently based on ship cabins.

No doubt it's derelict now, and probably no longer a master diversion airfield, thanks to Cameron's defence cuts.

The base was sold - for a pound - and the old married quarters are now a village - can't remember the name. (Though in the way these things happen, I've just remembered - it's a village called Sound of Kintyre).

What happened to all the fabulously expensive military buildings, I don't know. The new owners, who paid a quid, will have trouble finding tenants for them, I think. BBC News - Former RAF Machrihanish bought for 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18222334) There was talk that much of the airfield was contaminated and it would cost a bit more than quid to clean it up. If anybody comes back glowing in the dark. let me know.

Everybody who was stationed there full time has a tremendous affection for the place - it has its own facebook page. The many people who came and went didn't all have the same affection and often had horor stories to tell But we permanent guys loved it. We loved the stories too and probably started many of them off.

I've seen some fairly recent pictures of the runway - about half marked off with crosses so probably only about half usable now. Some good pictures here Machrihanish (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1035-Machrihanish)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS