PDA

View Full Version : Collision Damage Waiver Insurance

northman
28-08-2013, 09:46
Hi there. I have just joined the community and my wife and I are hiring a motorhome to make sure we like it before we buy. We leave for Scotland on 16 September. Do any members know where we can get reasonably priced collision damage waiver insurance for a motorhome? Most insurers will only cover car hire or offer a yearly rate. Questor offer a daily rate but its 6.99 per day. Any suggestions grateful received.

Wooie1958
28-08-2013, 09:51
Hi and welcome.

You are not that far from me down here in Preston.

Does the place you are hiring from not offer it ? Most places do although it`s normally an extra.

northman
28-08-2013, 10:36
They will waive 500 of a total deposit of 1000 (500 in cash and a card swipe) for 30, but I was looking for a bit better than that. The hire firm in Callander are really cheap both for van hire and extras like the dog and second driver but when you're not used to such a large vehicle - accidents happen!

Rich and Sarah
28-08-2013, 12:04
Shame you cant borrow a van first. You will enjoy it though, best thing we have purchased (dont tell the motorbikes shhhh)...

7.00 doesn't seem so bad unless your off for a month

Rich

Blodwyn Pig
28-08-2013, 12:52
:welcome:

northman
30-08-2013, 15:44
Thanks for the welcome folks. After much phoning round it appears that 7 per day is about average and very few firms offering CDW for car rentals actually cover motorhomes. Unsurprising really when the hirer tells me that he expects 1 in 10 of his vans to come back damaged in some way. So it goes! :sad:

Wooie1958
30-08-2013, 15:52
Thanks for the welcome folks. After much phoning round it appears that 7 per day is about average and very few firms offering CDW for car rentals actually cover motorhomes. Unsurprising really when the hirer tells me that he expects 1 in 10 of his vans to come back damaged in some way. So it goes! :sad:

I`m really surprised that it`s only " 1 in 10 " !

The majority of Hired Motorhomes that we have seen have got some damage on them of one description or another especially in Scotland.

northman
30-08-2013, 16:03
I`m really surprised that it`s only " 1 in 10 " !

The majority of Hired Motorhomes that we have seen have got some damage on them of one description or another especially in Scotland.

Thanks Wooie1958 - I really wanted to hear that!!

Wooie1958
30-08-2013, 16:41
Just make sure that you have a Really Good Look around the Motorhome when you pick it up.

Especially down the sides and the bottom rear corners as that`s where they tend to get caught.

I ended up having to get a new Mains Hook Up Cable ( EHU ) a couple of years back because of Lunatic Hirer.

We was on the site at Ardmair Point just north of Ullapool when this D*ickhead came flying in, slammed on the brakes skidded to a halt,
rammed it in reverse and went THUMP straight into the embankment behind him and completely flattened the Electric Point which had
our cable plugged into it.

Bang went our Electrics in the van ( thankfully the Fuse Box did its job and tripped ) and he nearly pulled the cable out of our van as he
shot forward with the Electric Point and our cable entangled in the mess he`d made of the rear of the van.

He stopped when i shot out of our van and started shouting at him & ^%&^^^%$"$%^%$%%

He also tripped the entire site.

Turns out he`d had a " Bloody Awful Day " as he put it and hated driving it as well.

Pilotewanderers
30-08-2013, 17:53
Welcome.

Video or photograph the WHOLE vehicle. Dinna forget the interior and the floors. We park up with a hire company and know they are meticulous with checking the vehicles, and rightly so. But you are on the other end so take your own precautions.

Enjoy your trip.

PW

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS