PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France : Yorkshire July 5th/6th 2014

Punkawallah
28-08-2013, 19:42
Hi , as a relative newby, I wonder if anyone has given any thought to the best sites adjacent to the Tour de France routes in Yorkshire next July.

All campsites are fully booked, and I suspect there may be restrictions on wild camping on sites near the routes, and there will be numerous road closures and diversions on Saturday July 5th and Sunday July 6th.

Any advice and help much appreciated,

The maps for the routes each day are on this link. http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route

Many thanks

Chris :help:

noarlunga
28-08-2013, 21:02
Hi , as a relative newby, I wonder if anyone has given any thought to the best sites adjacent to the Tour de France routes in Yorkshire next July.

All campsites are fully booked, and I suspect there may be restrictions on wild camping on sites near the routes, and there will be numerous road closures and diversions on Saturday July 5th and Sunday July 6th.

The maps for the routes each day are on this link. The Route (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route)

Many thanks

The race comes through my village on the second day. It leaves Mytholmroyd and climbs up through Cragg Vale to the top of the Pennines and then turns towards Ripponden and zooms down the hill at breakneck speed.

You could overnight in the car park next to The White House (it's in the POIs - 53.657334, -2.049417) and stroll along to watch them turn the corner (Turvin Rd/Halifax Rd)....

or......

you could overnight in the lay-by next to Baitings Reservoir (53.664324, -2.001786 )and watch then zip past at great speed.

I wouldn't recommend the car park at 53.668300, -1.984438 - tempting though it looks, it's rumoured to have become a location for dogging ......

There will be a few lay-by spaces at the top of Cragg Vale ie. on Turvin Rd. I've no idea if there will be any parking restrictions on the day, but at least I've given you a couple of options.

I'll be watching in Ripponden with the multitudes. Exciting innit!

Johnny A

noarlunga
28-08-2013, 21:06
It also occurs to me that there might be pub stops available too.

Welcome to The Old Bridge Inn at Ripponden (http://www.theoldbridgeinn.co.uk/index.html)

The Fleece Countryside Inn - Barkisland (http://www.fleece-inn.com/)

Home (http://www.sportsmansinngreetland.co.uk/)

Punkawallah
28-08-2013, 21:46
Hi Noarlunga

Many thanks for responding with ideas. Do the pubs you mention accept vans overnight ?

Yes it is quite exciting - am surprised there was no post on the Tour de France already.

Cheers

Chris

noarlunga
28-08-2013, 22:26
Hi Noarlunga

Many thanks for responding with ideas. Do the pubs you mention accept vans overnight ?

Yes it is quite exciting - am surprised there was no post on the Tour de France already.

Cheers

Chris

The pubs I listed are not on any pub stops list as far as I know but if you contact them at this stage you might well get a car park space booked.

The Old Bridge Inn is in Ripponden and has a small additional car park across the bridge from the pub itself. I'm guessing that they'll be using the normal car park for barbecue etc for the punters watching the race but they might well allow an overnight in the additional car park. It's our local folk music session pub where we play tunes on a Monday night. The real ales are very good (constant series of guest beers) and the food is magnificent. Contact Tim and Lindsey to ask. They'll be straight with you.

The Fleece is at the top of the hill and has a large car park, a large observation terrace with great views at the back of the pub, and the race will be puffing and panting its way slowly up that stretch so plenty of time to stand at the front of the pub and cheer/heckle/laugh at the riders. The pub has just been refurbished by a new management team and they've not really consolidated their business as yet so a request for a berth for the race nights might well stimulate their interest. I've not met them yet but they'll be worth a try.

The Sportsman is on the top of the moor and has a reasonable size car park as I remember - but a brilliant viewing gallery at the front where you, as a resident, might well stand, Pimms in hand and watch the race go by at a good pace. They'll just be recovering from cycling up the hill to The Fleece. It's a pub that does functions and conferences and might well offer a parking space. Just email them and ask.

At some point I might go into all of these pubs and see if they'll go on the pubstops database.

Johnny A

motorhomevalet
28-08-2013, 22:55
I am wondering how the Jobsworths are going to cope with the large influx of motorhomes for this event. I have seen quite a few stages of the TDF from the comfort of my motorhome parked at the side of the road and seen how adventurous some motorhomers can be. For example last year we were stopped just after a bend that had very long grass across some rough ground. we had parked up about 14.00hrs so could see what we were doing and where we were stopping. Later that day motorhomes started arriving (probably just finished spectating that days stage) then a steady stream of vans arrived all of them just ploughing onto the rough ground in complete darkness, not seeming to worry as long as they had a pitch by the side of the route. I have seen many more enterprising spectators with lengths of timber to bridge roadside ditches etc. I can just imagine some little jumped up official trying to tell dozens of French, German or Italian motorhomers "You can't park there":lol-053:

Rockerboots
29-08-2013, 05:46
I am wondering how the Jobsworths are going to cope with the large influx of motorhomes for this event. I have seen quite a few stages of the TDF from the comfort of my motorhome parked at the side of the road and seen how adventurous some motorhomers can be. For example last year we were stopped just after a bend that had very long grass across some rough ground. we had parked up about 14.00hrs so could see what we were doing and where we were stopping. Later that day motorhomes started arriving (probably just finished spectating that days stage) then a steady stream of vans arrived all of them just ploughing onto the rough ground in complete darkness, not seeming to worry as long as they had a pitch by the side of the route. I have seen many more enterprising spectators with lengths of timber to bridge roadside ditches etc. I can just imagine some little jumped up official trying to tell dozens of French, German or Italian motorhomers "You can't park there":lol-053:

This will probable be the one time the authorities will turn a blind eye to motorhome parking as the local economies will get a boost. We might get lucky & some bright spark sees the potential of motorhomes together & create an Aire. (Wishfull thinking i know) :lol-053:

ian234
29-08-2013, 07:34
I have been in touch with the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority (YDNPA) regarding this, and have received a very positive reply regarding provision for motorhomes overnighting during the TDF. I live in Bainbridge, Wensleydale which is on the Saturday route and home to the YDNPA. Initially there could be provision in Hawes at the Auction Mart for motorhomes to park and overnight, and they are looking at possible hard standing provision on the Buttertubs. There are plenty of wild spots on or near the route which will fill quickly, and some farmers are already gearing up to accommodate those wishing to stay overnight. Anyone looked at Semerwater yet - loads of space there but a small charge for staying payable to the farmer. Road closures are an unknown quantity just now, and this is what will determine where you end up! I will post more here when I have any updates.

Punkawallah
29-08-2013, 07:51
Many thanks to everyone for their ideas on the TDF next year which indeed give food for thought.

We're off on a mini European tour tomorrow to Venice and back over the next 3 weeks, and will keep an eye out for any new POIs.

Cheers

Chris

sasquatch
29-08-2013, 12:43
The Dog and Partridge( dogandpartridgeinn.co.uk (http://www.dogandpartridgeinn.co.uk/)) is on the route an unknown stopover worth a try. We are on a site near Harrogate already booked. Some hotels have virtually tripled prices!

Interesting extract from their website "The Tour De France race passes the pub July 6th next year and this should be an event not to be missed. As part of Langsett Parish we have set up a working party to organise events over the 100 days with the hope that we can attract visitors to the area. We are already taking bookings for this weekend with a reserve list for the hotel accommodation. However don’t be disappointed as there ail be plenty of space for camping and caravanning.Watch out for the drop down page on interesting facts on the TDF."

jamesuk
29-08-2013, 13:57
I have been in touch with the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority (YDNPA) regarding this, and have received a very positive reply regarding provision for motorhomes overnighting during the TDF. I live in Bainbridge, Wensleydale which is on the Saturday route and home to the YDNPA. Initially there could be provision in Hawes at the Auction Mart for motorhomes to park and overnight, and they are looking at possible hard standing provision on the Buttertubs. There are plenty of wild spots on or near the route which will fill quickly, and some farmers are already gearing up to accommodate those wishing to stay overnight. Anyone looked at Semerwater yet - loads of space there but a small charge for staying payable to the farmer. Road closures are an unknown quantity just now, and this is what will determine where you end up! I will post more here when I have any updates.

Interesting... I'm in Stalling Busk about a third of the year. fiat ducato Murvi morello...

SpringfieldFarm
16-11-2013, 18:50

The maps for the routes each day are on this link. Le Tour Yorkshire - Grand Départ 2014 (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route)

Many thanks

For great camping in an ideal location for stage 2 of the Tour de France visit Springfield Farm Camping-Tour de France (http://www.springfieldfarmcamping.co.uk) and expect a warm Yorkshire welcome! Road closures will not directly affect this campsite as it is situated on the A629 with great back roads to Holfirth, Langsett and Woodhead Pass!

Brian the snail
16-11-2013, 20:56
Clicked the link and you need a very warm welcome at £150 for a fixed three night stop.
Rip off Britain springs to mind again.
I'll watch on TV as usual.

Smaug
16-11-2013, 21:06
I suspect the locals won't know what hit them if it is anything like the French Cols with motorhomes, tents & caravans all along every verge down the entire route.

I watched the British Tour on the Stoke to Wales stage & there was a rolling road closure set up along the route with around 50 police bikers travelling "leapfrog style" ahead of the bikes, closing side roads & stopping oncoming traffic, which mostly just stopped at the side of the road & watched them pass.

I suspect there will be something similar for the TdF, so if you drive along the route from the opposite direction, the Police will force you to stop at the side of the road anyway! At least with a van you can overnight some distance away if you don't mind an early start, cos the cyclists don't seem to start before 10am.

Tezza33
16-11-2013, 21:21
Clicked the link and you need a very warm welcome at £150 for a fixed three night stop.
I'll watch on TV as usual.I agree, and yet if he looked at the big picture we could have promoted is campsite for years to come instead of my thoughts now, anywhere but there

Wooie1958
17-11-2013, 05:14
I'll watch on TV as usual.

As you rightly say " Rip off Britain ". I will definitely stay well clear.

They can come and park on my drive and use my toilet for £50 a night. :scared:

1st post advertising themselves, not even a " Hi " i suspect we won`t see them again.

john t
17-11-2013, 05:41
This is gonna be a brilliant weekend when the tour comes to our area, me..I'll watch the 1st stage near the Buttertubs pass if it's on the route. For the second stage i'll be legging it over to the top of Holm Moss for the night, ready to get into the abiance for the second day.!
Failing that, i'll walk to the top of jenkin Hill in Sheffield, about 2 miles from me and watch em come up there.!

jt

DTDog
17-11-2013, 07:35
For great camping in an ideal location for stage 2 of the Tour de France visit Springfield Farm Camping-Tour de France (http://www.springfieldfarmcamping.co.uk) and expect a warm Yorkshire welcome! Road closures will not directly affect this campsite as it is situated on the A629 with great back roads to Holfirth, Langsett and Woodhead Pass!

£150 for three nights for a 6m x 6m piece of grass!!

And not even EHU for that, nothing like taking advantage.

What a rip off!

scek
17-11-2013, 07:41
Best place to watch Le Tour is around Ilkley.
Stage 1 passes through Ilkley on Saturday and stage 2 passes just 2 miles away on Sunday.
The Ilkley cycling club are opening up a field in Ilkley, 5 nights £67.50pp, no EHU.
Not a bad deal when there is a farmer just down the road in Silsden who wants £200 (rising to £250 next year) for just 3 nights Reckons he has room for 600 pitches - gonna be a rich man is he fills them all.

Ilkley Cycling Club - Yorkshire TDF Grand Depart 2014 (http://www.ilkleycyclingclub.org.uk/index.php?page=ICC-Le-Tour)

grumpyengraver
17-11-2013, 08:04
Hi , as a relative newby, I wonder if anyone has given any thought to the best sites adjacent to the Tour de France routes in Yorkshire next July.All campsites are fully booked, and I suspect there may be restrictions on wild camping on sites near the routes, and there will be numerous road closures and diversions on Saturday July 5th and Sunday July 6th.Any advice and help much appreciated,The maps for the routes each day are on this link. Le Tour Yorkshire - Grand Départ 2014 (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route)Many thanksChris :help:I'm from the south, now living in west Yorkshire, if I was you I would stay where you are! It will be a right pain in the backside while the race is on.

grumpyengraver
17-11-2013, 08:09
£150 for three nights for a 6m x 6m piece of grass!!

And not even EHU for that, nothing like taking advantage.

What a rip off!

You are right, but don't forget they are Yorkshire men, some say tighter than the Scots. :cheers: and don't forget someone got to pay for there beer :-)

Wooie1958
17-11-2013, 08:59
Not a bad deal when there is a farmer just down the road in Silsden who wants £200 (rising to £250 next year) for just 3 nights Reckons he has room for 600 pitches - gonna be a rich man is he fills them all.

I really hope that the H.M.R.C. watch out for Robbing B*stards like this because you can bet your life they won`t declare it .

scek
17-11-2013, 09:27
I really hope that the H.M.R.C. watch out for Robbing B*stards like this because you can bet your life they won`t declare it .

There's going to be a lot of cash changing hands that week, campsites, pubs, cafes, souvenirs. Every burger van in the UK will be in Yorkshire...

DTDog
17-11-2013, 09:28
You are right, but don't forget they are Yorkshire men, some say tighter than the Scots. :cheers: and don't forget someone got to pay for there beer :-)

Errmmmmm !!!

I live about ten minutes away from this farm.

Yorkshire born and proud of it.

Tezza33
17-11-2013, 11:33
We stayed on a THS in York for £7pn this year run by the Yorkshire DA of the Camping & Caravanning Club, they told us they were going to be running another one when the TDF is on, I don't know the price for next year but if it is reasonable I might be going there

shortcircuit
19-11-2013, 08:08
I suspect the locals won't know what hit them if it is anything like the French Cols with motorhomes, tents & caravans all along every verge down the entire route.

I watched the British Tour on the Stoke to Wales stage & there was a rolling road closure set up along the route with around 50 police bikers travelling "leapfrog style" ahead of the bikes, closing side roads & stopping oncoming traffic, which mostly just stopped at the side of the road & watched them pass.

I suspect there will be something similar for the TdF, so if you drive along the route from the opposite direction, the Police will force you to stop at the side of the road anyway! At least with a van you can overnight some distance away if you don't mind an early start, cos the cyclists don't seem to start before 10am.

Did the British tour have the "Caravan" preceding the cyclist's? I am assuming the "Caravan" will come to the UK and that can take 30 minutes to pass with at a guess another 30 minutes before the cyclist's appear and then WOOSH their past and gone. It must be a nightmare to plan road closures to please all. Found in France they closed the roads early morning and opened again soon after last cyclist through so we overnighted to ensure a good view. When the Europeans come the will just park up, which means there will need to be multilingual jobsworths who will just get ignored:)

Brochloon
19-11-2013, 12:15

Many thanks for this Ian - we're coming down from Aberdeen for TDF & would appreciate any updates.

yorkieowl
19-11-2013, 19:33
The Tour goes right through Huddersfield, up near Ainley Top, Outlane, you should find somewhere easy enough.
Details at: Tour de France (http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/letour) personally I think Holme Moss would be a better place as they climb slowly up the hill.

Smaug
19-11-2013, 20:39
The Tour goes right through Huddersfield, up near Ainley Top, Outlane, you should find somewhere easy enough.
Details at: Tour de France (http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/letour) personally I think Holme Moss would be a better place as they climb slowly up the hill.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:
Ha ha ha! Have you ever seen these guys going up a mountain? They don't do slow, EVER! You are talking about the World's best & toughest cyclists on the TdF.

yorkieowl
19-11-2013, 23:42
:wacko::wacko::wacko:
Ha ha ha! Have you ever seen these guys going up a mountain? They don't do slow, EVER! You are talking about the World's best & toughest cyclists on the TdF.

Should have put slower, never really watched, not my cup of tea.

Smaug
20-11-2013, 09:34
Should have put slower, never really watched, not my cup of tea.

It was only a tease, no offence intended.

But seriously, even if you hate bikes, it is an amazing sight if only for the nutty spectators & immense organisation around the race. The main bunch (peleton) go past with a whoosh in seconds, it is an amazing spectacle & how they manage the speeds they do up & down mountains over 100 mile stages day after day is utterly beyond me. They really are supermen & knock most other "athletes & sportsmen/women" into a cocked hat!

yorkieowl
20-11-2013, 09:51
[QUOTE=Smaug;369942]It was only a tease, no offence intended.

No offence taken, With the TDF being so close to home we may well go watch, wasn't bothered with the Olympic Torch, but as it passed within half a mile of us we went to see it, and quite enjoyed it. Is there much time difference usually between the first and last rider?:rolleyes2:

Smaug
20-11-2013, 10:10
[QUOTE=Smaug;369942]It was only a tease, no offence intended.

No offence taken, With the TDF being so close to home we may well go watch, wasn't bothered with the Olympic Torch, but as it passed within half a mile of us we went to see it, and quite enjoyed it. Is there much time difference usually between the first and last rider?:rolleyes2:

How long is a piece of string? You actually need to be in place quite early so a fair bit of time is spent standing at the side of the road. That's quite good fun if you chat to the "nutters" around you - having a camper/ MH handy for hot drinks could make you very popular! There should be an approximate time posted for the race's arrival at key points on the route. Then you start to see the "caravan" of police bikers & cars clearing the route.

The race it self is likely to be in one to several groups depending on tactics, race conditions & how far along the route you are. Maybe a smallish leading group, maybe a couple of stragglers dropping off that group, then the main peloton will "whoosh" past in seconds followed by stragglers who have had punctures or breakdowns & are trying to get back in the main group. Then there are all the team cars, doctors & more police m'bikes clearing the road behind & allowing traffic to move again. the whole lot passes in about 20 mins, but it will take another hour to be able to get away as everyone will be trying to get to their next view point.

If you are only going to watch at one point, try to get there early & allow at least half a day for the experience.

Brochloon
20-11-2013, 12:14
[QUOTE=yorkieowl;369948]

How long is a piece of string? You actually need to be in place quite early so a fair bit of time is spent standing at the side of the road. That's quite good fun if you chat to the "nutters" around you - having a camper/ MH handy for hot drinks could make you very popular! There should be an approximate time posted for the race's arrival at key points on the route. Then you start to see the "caravan" of police bikers & cars clearing the route.

The race it self is likely to be in one to several groups depending on tactics, race conditions & how far along the route you are. Maybe a smallish leading group, maybe a couple of stragglers dropping off that group, then the main peloton will "whoosh" past in seconds followed by stragglers who have had punctures or breakdowns & are trying to get back in the main group. Then there are all the team cars, doctors & more police m'bikes clearing the road behind & allowing traffic to move again. the whole lot passes in about 20 mins, but it will take another hour to be able to get away as everyone will be trying to get to their next view point.

If you are only going to watch at one point, try to get there early & allow at least half a day for the experience.

I'd better get some WD40 sprayed onto the old raleigh chopper then, if I'm to keep up with these dudes.

BigTunz
23-02-2014, 22:05
Any suggestions for wilding in/near Addingham - tdf passes through here on both days!

TDFY
06-03-2014, 13:00
We would love you to come and stay with us and offer a warm welcome in a great location. Come and share this great occasion, in the picturesque village of Goldsborough, close to the action in the heart of the wonderful Yorkshire countryside. The camp-site is ideally situated on the route of the Tour between Harrogate and York. The perfect location for both Yorkshire stages. Please visit tdfy.co.uk and see what you think... Great prices too!

yorkieowl
06-03-2014, 20:53
We would love you to come and stay with us and offer a warm welcome in a great location. Come and share this great occasion, in the picturesque village of Goldsborough, close to the action in the heart of the wonderful Yorkshire countryside. The camp-site is ideally situated on the route of the Tour between Harrogate and York. The perfect location for both Yorkshire stages. Please visit tdfy.co.uk and see what you think... Great prices too!

Can you point me in the direction of prices please, can't seem to find them on the site, and always think the worst when they are not readily available.

Wooie1958
07-03-2014, 04:43
Can you point me in the direction of prices please, can't seem to find them on the site, and always think the worst when they are not readily available.

Advertising their Campsite as a first post ? not even so much as a Hi or anything like that ? ................................ LOL

They very cleverly haven`t put their prices on the website so you have to ring or email them.

The advertise " * GREAT PRICES: Competitive rates for single and block bookings " so why not show them ?

We considered nipping over ( not too far from here ) but the few Campsites / Farmers Fields i contacted wanted truly astronomical fees :scared::scared:

They ranged from £50 per night up to a head spinning £300 per night for one that is actually on the route.

It`ll serve them right if they end up empty but i imagine someone will pay them crazy prices.

john t
07-03-2014, 08:36
Camp sites.....Come on peeps we have motor homes that have all thats needed to spend the time enjoying the Tour and not being ripped off by these so called camp sites.!
The route practically comes up past my house, but me and mi brother are going to Hawes on the Friday night to get in to the ambiance of the Tour, a couple beers in local pub, i'm pretty sure i can find some where on a side road to park up for the night. Saturday will be spent watching the caravan and then the riders come up over the Buttertubs, followed by the broom wagon.!
We'll then head towards Sheffield and decide whether to go to the top of Holm Moss, or get over to Bradfield area of Sheffield, and get parked up again, plenty side roads to park on, then do it all again on the Sunday.! Camp sites, for a long weekend, who needs em....rip off gits....pfff

jt

yorkieowl
07-03-2014, 09:35
Advertising their Campsite as a first post ? not even so much as a Hi or anything like that ? ................................ LOL
They very cleverly haven`t put their prices on the website so you have to ring or email them.
The advertise " * GREAT PRICES: Competitive rates for single and block bookings " so why not show them ?
We considered nipping over ( not too far from here ) but the few Campsites / Farmers Fields i contacted wanted truly astronomical fees :scared::scared:
They ranged from £50 per night up to a head spinning £300 per night for one that is actually on the route.
It`ll serve them right if they end up empty but i imagine someone will pay them crazy prices.

That's why I was asking, we personally never use campsites, we park somewhere nice through the day, then move to parking spot at night if needed, I hate it when they say good prices, but daren't show them. Will be plenty of parking, but word of warning, Kirklees have said they are not allowing vans, motorhomes at the side of the route, so Holme Moss might be a problem too.
When we went to Cornwall for the eclipse (waste of time, didn't see a ruddy thing, but that's another story), they had hyped it up so much, telling people there would be massive traffic jams, so every farmer had opened a field as a campsite, the roads were quiet, and we got a lovely farmsite for next to nothing, (had the kids in tow, so used sites and tent camped in those days).

slickrick
10-06-2014, 08:45
That's why I was asking, we personally never use campsites, we park somewhere nice through the day, then move to parking spot at night if needed, I hate it when they say good prices, but daren't show them. Will be plenty of parking, but word of warning, Kirklees have said they are not allowing vans, motorhomes at the side of the route, so Holme Moss might be a problem too.
When we went to Cornwall for the eclipse (waste of time, didn't see a ruddy thing, but that's another story), they had hyped it up so much, telling people there would be massive traffic jams, so every farmer had opened a field as a campsite, the roads were quiet, and we got a lovely farmsite for next to nothing, (had the kids in tow, so used sites and tent camped in those days).

I spoke to Kirklees as we really want to watch at Holme Moss, it was a definite no to motorhomes and was pointed in direction of campsites and told that despite rumours lots have availability, and not all too pricey. Don't fancy being clamped/moved on so think we'll swallow the cost and chalk it up to a once in the lifetime exp to see it in such a good spot - and hope yorkshire weather doesnt let us down! Shared this link on another post - shows all campsites Camping and caravan sites (http://www2.kirklees.gov.uk/wheretostay/?id=Campsite)

Topher
12-06-2014, 16:38
These signs have appeared today. This one is on the Borwins just West of Bainbridge which is on the actual route. They are also on the roads which lead to the route as well (at least on all the roads I have been on today.

BigTunz
12-06-2014, 18:03
Just park where you want to - within reason.
All the jobsworths won't be working the weekend or will be to busy watching!!!!

kimbowbill
13-06-2014, 07:17
Just park where you want to - within reason.
All the jobsworths won't be working the weekend or will be to busy watching!!!!

this is not the case i'm afraid, i live on one of the routes, any vehicle parked without authority will be removed, we have all be duly told, i won't be able to move from my house for 3 days, all the roads are closed to traffic, emergency services only, i'm not complaining mind, its a once in a lifetime event and yorkshire folk should embrace it instead of moaning about it, which they are, i was looking a the camping at Oughtibridge, £192 for 3 nights, lol, they really are taking the p, its so not fare, Sheffield council are putting up 900 grand to fund this event, i know they have to make money back but geez, daylight robbery.

BigTunz
13-06-2014, 19:08
As I said - park within reason.
Park off the main route and you will have no problem.
No need to spend £150 on rip off camping fees!!!

john t
13-06-2014, 19:38
i won't be able to move from my house for 3 days,(from Kimbowbill)

3 days, where ya get info from? I live on a road the will be blocked in for Sunday's stage and it's only for Sunday, not the Friday or Saturday night.!

jt

Ade
17-06-2014, 19:35
Hi all,
Advice /opinions on what I am thinking of doing.
Going to one of the poi's north of Hawes or south of Reeth which are on the route on the Friday to get parked up overnight. Watch the brouhahah Saturday and then basically that's it ,another night in the dales somewhere posssibly,but that's not the point really.
My question is-
Will we get a knock on the van at silly o' clock Saturday by some over officious official and be forced to move on and miss the spectacle ?

I saw the temp. sign earlier in the thread and have looked at the race website. I take their warnings to mean no parking on the actual route i.e road ?
I will obviously be well off the road in a pull in so shouldn't be a problem ?
Will loads of other people have the same idea ?

Opinions and advice please,
Ade.

Aquaticaquarian
17-06-2014, 20:10
Well I guess I must be one of the lucky one's, I've been invited down by a friend, who owns a field that the cyclists go past and is only half a mile from a return route also, for the weekend. He's promised the four B's : bikes beer barbecue and boules, oh and pork pies as an extra. Live entertainment thrown in on top. Can't wait.... :-)

christine
17-06-2014, 21:56
We came over Buttertubs on Thursday and there are certainly signs all along this road and on into Keld. We stayed at Hoggarths farm campsite,just to the west of Keld, where they will only be charging £8 a night per person instead of the normal £4. Not quite on the cycle route as it turns for Tan Hill (not sure which direction it goes in) but a lovely site.We noted farmers had erected signs for official parking and viewing, goodness knows what they will be charging.

outtolunch
18-06-2014, 20:24
I was working in Harrogate today and as I left along the route to Knaresborough I noticed that all the yellow lines had been repainted and as soon as I diverted from the route they were back to the tatty worn out lines, I don't know if this is just to look good on the TV or to make sure nobody has the excuse that they couldn't see them when they parked there.

john t
18-06-2014, 21:58
Literally just got in from doing the route from Holme Firth to Herries Rd in Sheffield where i live, well what a load of rubbish, they have concrete blocks ready to cover the entry to the car park at the top of Holme Moss climb. Then they've put rocks and large straw bales on the side ready to block people from parking up or camping, this "tour" round our region is gonna be remembered for all the wrong reason's, and on other forums I go on, it's known as the "le Tour de Rip Off". I think we have a way to go to learn from the French on how to organise a major bike race in this country/county.!

jt

Groundm
24-06-2014, 20:45
Hi thought it would help to know that the car park at the White House is to be used as turnaround for free mini buses so no overnight parking in that area from Thursday 4th July The Fleece Car Park is to used as a site for a Grandstand so doubt you will get on there. I drive down the A58 past Bating Reservoir and that seems an option at the moment but the A58 will be closed to traffic from 6.30am. The road from Rishworh to Batings is closed at the moment "Rishworh New Road" at the end before the bridge over the Reservoir there is a car park which would be a short walk across the bridge to the A58. The Caravan should start passing by there about 10.30-45 Hope this helps Groundm

Aikidoamigo
25-06-2014, 14:11
We spent the night at the top of holme moss this last weekend, was hoping to get in the car park but no go... its all blocked off now with concrete leggo and there is York stone all up the sides of the road. We pulled in on the lane for the mast but fyi there is no chance to wild camp up there for the TDF signs everywhere stating no parking on the road and everything else is blocked up.

Miserable *******s.... more interested in getting the 150 quid for weekend parking.

What is it they say about Yorkshire folk? lol

Aikidoamigo
25-06-2014, 14:18
Well I guess I must be one of the lucky one's, I've been invited down by a friend, who owns a field that the cyclists go past and is only half a mile from a return route also, for the weekend. He's promised the four B's : bikes beer barbecue and boules, oh and pork pies as an extra. Live entertainment thrown in on top. Can't wait.... :-)

If your mate is willing I would be happy to okay him a few bob to stop in the field that weekend (as may others)

The Camper
25-06-2014, 21:40
I reckon it will be easier and cheaper to go and see the race in France.

Topher
27-06-2014, 20:49
Just got in from visiting a friend who has some land adjacent to the route in upper Wensleydale which he has had advertised for camping over the TDF weekend. He has today cancelled the toilets that he had booked for his site as he has not had a single booking or any real interest at all.

My immediate reaction from what I have read on here was that he was charging too much, but no, he was asking £12 per night which sounds reasonable.

Apparently he is not the only one in this area who is experiencing a poor interest. Maybe all the media hype about thousands of people visiting and general over crowding in the area is putting people off, settling instead to watch it on tv.

martino
27-06-2014, 22:13
It's a cycle race,not a Motorsport event.I wouldn't expect to be allowed to cycle round Silverstone, so why should I see it as a right to drive/park on a cycle race route?
If you really want to see this amazing spectacle,the be prepared to cycle/walk away from your motorhome for a few miles,and stop whingeing about parking restrictions etc.!!

Croftland1
27-06-2014, 22:46
It's a cycle race,not a Motorsport event.I wouldn't expect to be allowed to cycle round Silverstone, so why should I see it as a right to drive/park on a cycle race route?
If you really want to see this amazing spectacle,the be prepared to cycle/walk away from your motorhome for a few miles,and stop whingeing about parking restrictions etc.!!

With respect then, you've clearly never been to the French stages, where the roadside support (in-particular the motorhomes) creates an amazing and unique atmosphere. What the motorhome owners of Britain would have loved to do is re-create some of the French magic. Nevermind.... We'll just travel to the Alps instead!

martino
28-06-2014, 04:55
With respect then, you've clearly never been to the French stages, where the roadside support (in-particular the motorhomes) creates an amazing and unique atmosphere. What the motorhome owners of Britain would have loved to do is re-create some of the French magic. Nevermind.... We'll just travel to the Alps instead!

Fair enough.leave more room for cyclesport fans,and less damage will be done to verges & dry stone walls.

helen262
28-06-2014, 08:45
Here is a link to what has been said about it on the t4 forums Tour de France Yorkshire - Page 2 - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=345311&highlight=tour+france&page=2)

i don't think that many people will be visiting as i have offered to let some stay in my field for free but i have not had a single enquiry,
but after seeing for myself the way that kirklees council have blocked off every square foot of land that might have been possible to park on who can blame people for not coming to yorkshire, why cant they be just be like france and let people camp on the roadside which adds to the magic.

another place to get a cheap place to stay is at holmfirth cattle market at £8.00 per day,the race goes past its gates tel 01484 683652

Croftland1
28-06-2014, 09:21
Fair enough.leave more room for cyclesport fans,and less damage will be done to verges & dry stone walls.

ROFL yes I must learn to drive my motorhome more carefully. I seem to be knocking walls down and wrecking verges everywhere I go these days hahaha

Croftland1
28-06-2014, 11:53
In fact I suspect the spectators approaching vantage points by foot or bike will do more damage to the drystone walls and verges than you would imagine. Folk will be climbing walls to gain height or take shortcuts. They will also go over walls to urinate and defecate as they have no toilet with them and will leave mountains of litter as they won't be carrying a waste bin with them. There's something to be said for visiting the countryside with a motorhome as a base. Oh but that's why you're a member on here in the first place isn't it martino?

Topher
29-06-2014, 11:40
Just looked out of the window and seen Stags Fell has sprouted a pair of breasts.

martino
29-06-2014, 12:28
In fact I suspect the spectators approaching vantage points by foot or bike will do more damage to the drystone walls and verges than you would imagine. Folk will be climbing walls to gain height or take shortcuts. They will also go over walls to urinate and defecate as they have no toilet with them and will leave mountains of litter as they won't be carrying a waste bin with them. There's something to be said for visiting the countryside with a motorhome as a base. Oh but that's why you're a member on here in the first place isn't it martino?

Motor vehicles are for roads in my humble opinion,I have no problem with staying in car parks,lay-bys and the like,or even venturing down the odd gravel road,but I draw the line she there is a chance of ploughing.And as for the 4 wheel drive/scramble bike offroader numptys....
Just because I cycle or walk in the countryside doesn't mean I will sh$&#t everywhere or leave litter.

K9d
29-06-2014, 12:52
So what your saying is, its OK for you to do what you do, but everyone else is wrong.
What a wonderful and enlightened attitude you have, the world could learn a lot from you. :)

Topher
29-06-2014, 12:55
Just because I cycle or walk in the countryside doesn't mean I will sh$&#t everywhere or leave litter.

Unfortunately there are those that do and on a regular occurrence. Over Easter a car pulled up outside my house. The driver was looking at a map and whilst doing so the passenger opened the door and threw empty cans wrappers etc. on to my drive. I asked her what she was doing to which I got a load of abuse. It is not the first time this has happened and am sure it won't be the last.

I have also caught a women urinating in the field against my garden wall. Completely lost count of the men who do this. These aren't locals they are all visitors. Percentage wise it is very small, but it does happen.

Topher
29-06-2014, 13:05
Looks like a pair of glasses now.

Topher
29-06-2014, 16:46
What a surprise, it is a bike. I wonder why that could be?

I am surprised the National Parks have not made them make it green so it blends in with its surroundings.

john t
29-06-2014, 18:09
Went for a walk t'other night round Green Moor, not for from Peniston and Sheffield, where supprise supprise they had warnings of removing car's on the weekend of the tour coming through. Great, but the tour doesn't even go near to Green Moor.! talk about being over aggressive, and I stand by that we will be remebered as the "Tour de Rip Off" more than owt else.! Have fun though where ever you decide to watch it.!

jt

Wooie1958
29-06-2014, 18:20
We fancied going and i contacted a couple of places who gave me astronomical prices for staying with them ..................... LOL

One of them contacted me yesterday and offered me a " Special Deal " of only £35 a night or 3 nights for £100 cash.

That`s a lot less than the original £100 a night they first quoted me, i haven`t taken them up on their offer ................ LOL

helen262
29-06-2014, 18:36
We fancied going and i contacted a couple of places who gave me astronomical prices for staying with them ..................... LOL

One of them contacted me yesterday and offered me a " Special Deal " of only £35 a night or 3 nights for £100 cash.

That`s a lot less than the original £100 a night they first quoted me, i haven`t taken them up on their offer ................ LOL

Thats because they have found out that people aren't willing to pay them rip off prices and are going to be left with empty fields,
i have noticed that round here quite a lot of the campsite signs have gone as they haven't had any intrest in the rip off prices.
my offer is still there for people to stay in my field free of charge less than half mile to tdf it has great views very quite no facilities take your litter home,there is water the grass is quite long now though but will soon flatten down

Topher
29-06-2014, 18:54

Is it not the same as any big event. We went to the Olympics in 2012. Initially we were quoted £600 a night for a Premier Inn ( cheapest we could find). A couple of weeks before the event we booked the same hotel for £120 a night, still a lot of money but a considerable reduction. The Southerners were most certainly trying to fleece every one then but the games were a massive success and are rightfully remembered for just that.

Another example was last year when I took my father to Wembley to see England v Brazil. We stayed in the Holiday Inn close to the stadium. Our first two nights were around £80 a night. Come game night the price doubled.

helen262
29-06-2014, 19:27
i have never had any probs with grip but i have tractors to pull anyone out that might get stuck

Topher
29-06-2014, 19:33
All the verges along the route in Wensleydale have cut this week. Not just a couple of feet but right back to the wall which in places is 50-60 feet. This however, is most likely to make it look nice for the TV.

helen262
29-06-2014, 19:41
I can't afford one i have spent all my money on fuel:raofl:

Topher
29-06-2014, 19:47
That wouldn't look good on tv.

No parking on any verges are allowed. North Yorkshire council have made 5000 signs telling us that any parked cars will be towed away.

mikfield
29-06-2014, 19:52
There are still plenty of camping places on farms and the prices are not astronomical. £10 per day per van and £8 per person on the farm where I am staying outside Reeth. I was along the route on Friday and most of the landowners who are offering camping seem to be advertising reasonable rates.
As for parking on the route, there are hundred's of signs saying that if you are not in an official vehicle you will be towed away!
The timing of the road closures is shown on the North Yorkshire County Council website.

Topher
29-06-2014, 19:56
There are still plenty of camping places on farms and the prices are not astronomical. £10 per day per van and £8 per person on the farm where I am staying outside Reeth. I was along the route on Friday and most of the landowners who are offering camping seem to be advertising reasonable rates.
As for parking on the route, there are hundred's of signs saying that if you are not in an official vehicle you will be towed away!
The timing of the road closures is shown on the North Yorkshire County Council website.

This is what I am seeing as well. Must be the other Yorkshire that are charging the high rates.

Topher
30-06-2014, 13:07
Just had an old friend from my University days contact me. He is coming up to the Dales to watch the TDF in his caravan and wanted to know the best route to take to his campsite this Friday. He is paying £8 per night and booked this months ago.

He is clearly been ripped off as he could have stayed in my field for nothing.:raofl:

Wooie1958
30-06-2014, 13:18
Camping | Riverside Camping (http://tourdefrancecampingyorkshire.com/camping/)

Tour de France Camping Yorkshire 2014, Pool Road Campsite (http://tourcamping.co.uk/)

Camping for the TDF big cycle race (http://www.legrangecamping.co.uk/services)

Book your camping at Bolton Abbey for the Yorkshire Grand Depart 2014 (http://www.boltonabbey.com/yorkshire-grand-depart/book.html)

Motorhome and Caravan Pitches | Grand Depart Harrogate North Yorkshire (http://www.velofest.co.uk/product/motorhomes-caravan-pitches/)

Camp with Sue Ryder and view the Tour de France - Sue Ryder (http://www.sueryder.org/Get-involved/Events/All-events/2014/June/Le-camping#Haworth%20Road,%20Cullingham)

Rod
01-07-2014, 16:39
Do any of you think that as an organisation we or other MH groups should approach these pop up camp sites and see if they would be interested in providing facilities like an aire after the tour is long gone?

Rod

kimbowbill
03-07-2014, 07:35
Upcoming Events - Ingfield Farm (http://ingfieldfarm.webeden.co.uk/upcoming-events/4574225028)

this may be of use for some

Wooie1958
03-07-2014, 07:40
This one was featured on the news last night :- Motorhome and Caravan Pitches | Grand Depart Harrogate North Yorkshire (http://www.velofest.co.uk/product/motorhomes-caravan-pitches/)

It looked OK but still silly prices.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS